Marketing Commercial Buildings - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Marketing Commercial Buildings

Anyone having success marketing commercial buildings? I walk in these buildings and most of them are handled by Property Management Companies. I've been contacting every single PM company in my city and logging every call to my CRM...It's difficult to even get a contact name or direct email from these companies.

I've had to resort to sending introductory emails to their general 'DOT Info' address...No success yet.

Walking in cold call style will not even get you past the receptionist. I leave business cards but they are likely tossed in the garbage the moment I leave...I get that feeling when I drop 50 cards off at a Real Estate Brokerage company...Might be a waste of money...lol

I know that most painters don't like to talk about their selling techniques in a tight economy...Hopefully some of you are not threatened by this thread and will participate.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 44
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Don't think there is a technique for getting in with property managements companies. You have to know someone or be in the right place at the right time. Most of them have companies they already use and trust.
cdpainting likes this.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 9,782
Thanked 14,333 Times in 7,294 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Anyone having success marketing commercial buildings? I walk in these buildings and most of them are handled by Property Management Companies. I've been contacting every single PM company in my city and logging every call to my CRM...It's difficult to even get a contact name or direct email from these companies.

I've had to resort to sending introductory emails to their general 'DOT Info' address...No success yet.

Walking in cold call style will not even get you past the receptionist. I leave business cards but they are likely tossed in the garbage the moment I leave...I get that feeling when I drop 50 cards off at a Real Estate Brokerage company...Might be a waste of money...lol

I know that most painters don't like to talk about their selling techniques in a tight economy...Hopefully some of you are not threatened by this thread and will participate.
I think many here have been pretty open about sales techniques they've used with success. Or, they have been helpful in helping others with questions. I mean, most of us aren't in direct competition with other PT members and if we are, big deal.
As for it still being a "tight economy" is that still the reality many here are still working in? Sure, some may be in areas where things are still tough but are a lot of you still dealing with a difficult econony?

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 11-17-2016 at 11:54 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
very senior member

Rewards Points: 190
Thanked 5,210 Times in 3,168 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=RH;1316450]I think many here have been pretty open about sales techniques they've used with success. Or, they have been helpful in helping others with questions. I mean, most of us aren't in direct competition with other PT members and if we are, big deal.
As for it still being a "tight economy" is that still the reality many here are still working in? Sure, some may be in areas where things are still tough but are a lot of you still dealing with a difficult econony?[/QUOTE]

Not in the least
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,783 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=chrisn;1316530]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I think many here have been pretty open about sales techniques they've used with success. Or, they have been helpful in helping others with questions. I mean, most of us aren't in direct competition with other PT members and if we are, big deal.
As for it still being a "tight economy" is that still the reality many here are still working in? Sure, some may be in areas where things are still tough but are a lot of you still dealing with a difficult econony?[/QUOTE]

Not in the least
Same here. Still turning work away every day.
cdpainting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,280
Thanked 1,291 Times in 550 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Tough nut to crack. You have to be relentless. Repeat visits. Bring some candy or flowers on your visit.

Company websites will often times list the various department heads. Bombard these guys/gals with email introductions.

If you work in an office or condo building for a tenant find out who the management company is and introduce yourself with your reference from the building.

Much of commercial repaint work is all about stroking the client. Make them want to use you. Once you get in the door with one property manager ask them to give you the names of other managers. Keep up to date with any current property managers that you do work for. They change companies frequently. Could be an IN to a new company and conversely could close the door on a company that you currently work for if your client property manager leaves the current company.

There is no magic bullet or formula. You have to keep at it.
George Z (11-19-2016), Gracobucks (11-18-2016), Mr Smith (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 224
Thanked 9,011 Times in 4,980 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
As for it still being a "tight economy" is that still the reality many here are still working in? Sure, some may be in areas where things are still tough but are a lot of you still dealing with a difficult econony?
The curb side address business is booming!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,666
Thanked 1,347 Times in 668 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Tell them you'll work even lower than there present painter.. I used to do allot of PM work. Now sadly 99% is just how low will you go. It's all about finding the decision maker the guy who hires the contractors. That can be difficult. Oh one last thing most don't pay for 90 days after job is complete .
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Tell them you'll work even lower than there present painter.. I used to do allot of PM work. Now sadly 99% is just how low will you go. It's all about finding the decision maker the guy who hires the contractors. That can be difficult. Oh one last thing most don't pay for 90 days after job is complete .
I just want to diversify a bit to keep the guys busy...That marketer,Brandon Lewis, who posts in here and goes by the handle 'The Painters Academy or THE ACADEMY for PROFESSIONAL PAINTING CONTRACTORS" says that commercial work on 5K sq foot buildings or bigger pays higher than residential painting. (I'm highly skeptical)) He charges $900 down and $250 a month to coach painters how to get this type of work. George,the ECO painter from Toronto defended that guy so he certainly has a membership with TPC. George is a guy I respect in here.

I'm not a big fan of apartment painting but most of these management companies handle big commercial buildings as well.

PS,

To those who have tons of work and are turning work away, good for you...The majority of painters see a considerable decline in work during the fall/winter months.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 11-19-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Old 11-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,872
Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,137 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

It can be in fact easier work to run and easier to schedule and often more profitable.
What Roamer said is one way to do it. But it's not easy.

We do some of this type of work, and we have for years. I am not sure we specifically marketed to them, they were contacts of contacts for many years.
This is not easy work to get.
You can search for some of these guys in Linkedin.
Search for:
facility manager, manager facilities, facilities, facilities coordinator etc.
The free version of Linkedin will limit your searches.
After you create a big list of names and emails, you can market to them like Roamer said.
Then market to them in...Facebook.
Create a campaign in Facebook and target facility managers in your area.
Also market to your list in Facebook. You can also create a "look alike audience" that matches your list.
We had very few responses and some work but I think we can do better as we get better at it.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
Mr Smith (11-19-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 12:43 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 582
View bryceraisanen's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I just want to diversify a bit to keep the guys busy...That marketer,Brandon Lewis, who posts in here and goes by the handle 'The Painters Academy or THE ACADEMY for PROFESSIONAL PAINTING CONTRACTORS" says that commercial work on 5K sq foot buildings or bigger pays higher than residential painting. (I'm highly skeptical)) He charges $900 down and $250 a month to coach painters how to get this type of work. George,the ECO painter from Toronto defended that guy so he certainly has a membership with TPC. George is a guy I respect in here.

I'm not a big fan of apartment painting but most of these management companies handle big commercial buildings as well.

PS,

To those who have tons of work and are turning work away, good for you...The majority of painters see a considerable decline in work during the fall/winter months.

That's fine if you wanna be skeptical. Imho, residential painting is the bottom of the totem pole. We're right now working up a proposal for a manufacturing plant. Concrete walls, bar joist ceilings everything. Its around 350k sqft of floor space. The job will be somewhere in the 2 mil range. Trust me, there is a big difference when they are spending before tax money than after tax money. Homeowners arent a fart in a windstorm compared to billion dollar companies when it comes to what they can outlay.

Many of the customers have multi/million dollar maintenance budgets per year, in a single facility.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #12

Have any of you registered with the DIR for public works?
Old 11-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceraisanen View Post
That's fine if you wanna be skeptical. Imho, residential painting is the bottom of the totem pole. We're right now working up a proposal for a manufacturing plant. Concrete walls, bar joist ceilings everything. Its around 350k sqft of floor space. The job will be somewhere in the 2 mil range. Trust me, there is a big difference when they are spending before tax money than after tax money. Homeowners arent a fart in a windstorm compared to billion dollar companies when it comes to what they can outlay.

Many of the customers have multi/million dollar maintenance budgets per year, in a single facility.
The thread is about marketing...Care to share your methods to land these jobs? You took that too literally...Obviously a big commercial building will bring in higher bids but I was referring to hourly...I'm skeptical that commercial repaint work pays more per hour than residential work. I should point out that I want repaints only. My business is not big enough to handle massive, new construction commercial work.

Another thing that nobody brings up (in relation to commercial jobs) is apartment painting. Most of the property maintenance companies who take care of the big commercial jobs handle that as well. Sure I'd like all of the gravy jobs but how does one turn down apartments if offered the first time? I mean you want to get in good with the PM company and they aren't going to offer you the good jobs right away. It is well known that apartment painting is the bottom of the barrel in terms of earning for a painting contractor. Most want the cheapest bid and the competition is fierce.

Do most of you contractors accept the crappy apartment jobs so you can eventually bid on the big commercial building jobs? When you are applying for work with these companies you don't know how much apartment vs other commercial work they manage.

I recently bid on a couple of warehouses and the owners were a pair of cheap B's...They kept telling me that they were renters not owners of the property and to keep the cost as low as possible. This is code for CHEAP....They wanted ONE coat of white paint on the walls and I insisted that it would take two coats and bid accordingly. I mean some of the walls were bare cement which required block filler to seal it as a first coat...Long story short,I didn't win the bid. I even reduced my (usual residential) cost by $15/HR when I bid on it.

My preferred commercial work would be commercial buildings & stores,offices,warehouses,apartment exteriors,condo's, etc.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 11-20-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #14

It's a shame that PT's resident apartment painter, driftweed, decided to cease participation here. He would have been a wealth of information.
Gracobucks (11-20-2016), Wildbill7145 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,954 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
It's a shame that PT's resident apartment painter, driftweed, decided to cease participation here. He would have been a wealth of information.
Yep, and true to his word he's never logged in again since that last post. All over having to change his password. What a shame.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #16

This thread sparked some memories of a time when I was a struggling painter back in the 80's. I too had this idea that if I could hook up with an apartment complex, I could sustain a decent income given the quantity. Needless to say, it never happened. And I do remember approaching the manager of one particularly nice complex, but was promptly rejected.

Years later, it seems the apartment market is better suited for contractors who can turn key a unit from top to bottom rather than simply provide painting. It's my guess that the property manager puts minimal value in just painting.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
This thread sparked some memories of a time when I was a struggling painter back in the 80's. I too had this idea that if I could hook up with an apartment complex, I could sustain a decent income given the quantity. Needless to say, it never happened. And I do remember approaching the manager of one particularly nice complex, but was promptly rejected.

Years later, it seems the apartment market is better suited for contractors who can turn key a unit from top to bottom rather than simply provide painting. It's my guess that the property manager puts minimal value in just painting.
Don't get me wrong, I don't really want to provide apartment painting but the bigger property management companies also manage commercial buildings & properties. If they asked for an estimate for an apartment and I turned them down it is highly unlikely that they would call me again for office painting or other commercial work.

Yes, many apartment buildings have a handyman who takes care of everything including the painting. That said,the handy guy probably is not set up to do the exterior work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #18

Quote:
What made him so angry?
I remember that he also provided bathtub refinishing and was trying to expand that enterprise.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #19
King Dude

Rewards Points: 114
Thanked 4,668 Times in 2,611 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
What made him so angry?
I remember that he also provided bathtub refinishing and was trying to expand that enterprise.
The password change proved too hard of an undertaking for him. He thought the temporary one they sent was what he had to use all the time and it was too hard for him to remember. He didn't read the part telling you how to change it and quit instead.
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
The password change proved too hard of an undertaking for him. He thought the temporary one they sent was what he had to use all the time and it was too hard for him to remember. He didn't read the part telling you how to change it and quit instead.
It was partly that. But I think he was beginning to show signs of disinterest in the PT community, and the password change gave him an excuse to exit.

I'm not certain what bothered him about the community other than not being able to convince others apartment painting was an excellent endeavor. He seemed to be doing well with the tile refinishing and apartment painting. I believe he actually set a record for painting exterior apartment doors.

Now that I think about it, he was becoming frustrated with a perceived lack of serious business discussion. He may have actually migrated to one of the other more serious paint contracting sites.

Last edited by CApainter; 11-20-2016 at 02:29 PM..
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote