Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Sherwin Williams vs Benjamin Moore Canada

14K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  TWPainting 
#1 ·
Hi all, my name is Mark.

I am currently setting up a small business and cannot decide between Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore. They are the most accessible in my area so it is a showdown between the two. Not enough experience to make a choice between paint quality, I have had no problems with either. Dollar benefits lean towards Sherwin Williams. Any help/input would be much appreciated. You may be hearing a lot from me. :)

#7 ·
I'd say what best fits the surface and/or who has the best service. You'd have to learn a lot to know what's products are best for that specific surface. That takes trying the products, with that you will learn who has the best service. So basically it would be best if you were experienced too know which vendor to support.

#10 ·
BM & SW both make great products. I use SW almost exclusively. I get great support from the folks at my branch and I've never had a product failure that wasn't my fault. Bottom line for me...SW is more cost effective than BM for my business model.

Try 'em both and see what works best for you.

#12 ·
Sherwin williams is just great service. The people are always fun to be around. I look forward to picking up my paint. Prices are great....paint is great. Cant go wrong.
BM...I cant really say anything cuz i dont use them. So im just giving my opinion of SW.

#15 ·
I mostly use General Paint in Canada as well

I used BM, ICI and GP. I only ever used SW a tiny bit in Calgary, was never super impressed, but not a lot of experience.

Try them all and see who gives you the best product for YOUR business model and the service/pricing to match.

In Calgary I used BM almost exclusively. I had a stellar dealer that always went the extra mile for me.

In Kelowna I use GP almost exclusively because they have the best service I've seen in the city so far and a decent product lineup as well.
If there was one right answer we wouldn't have so many large chains.

#16 ·
Behr is the best? Ack.... ;)
Anyhow, if you aren't in the 4 western provinces, then you have limited access to Gen'l Paint, except in the GTO area.
I stick with Ben Moore, but also like GP... no SW dealers in my lil' area...there's also PP to consider, but their prices are way outta line in my neighbourhood.
Good luck on your contracting.

#18 · (Edited)
At my store I carry Benjamin Moore and Pratt and Lambert, which is owned by Sherwin Williams, and the painters that frequent the store and have accounts here, almost all also buy paint elsewhere at times. I dont blame them. There are alot of good products out there. You have to see what you like and also work with the customer. I see painters all the time that are almost exclusively Rodda or Miller or something, but if the customer asks for Benjamin Moore, they come in. You also have to weigh, how good the retailers are in your area. If you get great service, spot on matches, and helpful advice from one store and no help at the other, then the choice is pretty easy. Just dont be afraid to try products from both companies. Being familiar with both lines is going to benefit you at some point.

Also, if product A is 25 dollars and also 5 dollars cheaper then product B, but you need 4 gallons of product A and only 3 of product B for the job, which product is really cheaper?

#19 ·
well...

I work at a Benjamin Moore paint retailer in New Jersey. After using several other products I find Benjamin Moore to be the best. We also sold Muralo until a fallout in 2008. They changed their product formulas, resulting in a loss of paint quality; also their paint cans leaked in the shakers ALL THE TIME. Anyway, Sherwin Williams makes some excellent products, but I think if you want overall consumer satisfaction I would go with Benjamin Moore. It will probably bring more volume to your store since Benjamin Moore advertises more to the average consumer then Sherwin Williams does. Benjamin Moore has 2 major lines of Waterborne paint. Aura, and Regal Select. Waterborne is the future of paint, something Sherwin Williams is much newer and less knowledgeable in. Hope this helps!
-Charlie

#20 ·
you shouldnt commit to any one product. When you play the feild you might be able to secure better pricing than if you only used one line. The other reason that its nice to use both is that it seems that more afluent clients assume that because BM is more expensive, that it is inherintly supperior to SW. Many more established designers also write the specs with BM. Personally satin impervo is the only product we use on a regular basis. SW meets and exceeds our needs but you still need both.

#21 ·
Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore make great paints an primers. It is best not to limit your options with just one paint supplier but work with two or even 3 of them. That said I find Sherwin Williams to provide the best support and resources for contractors.
I did a comparison of Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore and Pittsburgh Paints here
All contractors, what experiences have you had so far?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.