Trade Damage - Blog Post - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree24Likes

Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
View kentdalimp's Photo Album My Photos
Default Trade Damage - Blog Post

Just linking this here. I'm interested to hear what everybody's experience is with Trade Damage, and what your approach is!

http://constructioncareerpodcast.com...-damage-right/
007 Dave likes this.
kentdalimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kentdalimp For This Useful Post:
CApainter (12-02-2016), mattpaints82 (12-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,783 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Our contract states that we will only repair paint defects IE: Weal spots, missed spots.

Any dings, dents, drilled holes, scuff marks and so on are considered extra. Once we complete a room the GC writes it off. From that point it's all extra. I have gone back and forth with trades over damages. Ultimately we end up billing the GC who in turn bills the other trades.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 224
Thanked 9,011 Times in 4,980 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Very good blog!

It would seem practical to just prime everything before hand and wait for the other trades to finish before applying the finish. But I suppose it's not. Particularly if the painter is the last one there painting under project conditions that have become urgent due to a budget crisis.

And then again, maybe it just goes with the territory in terms of a personal trade choice and the fact that painting is often looked upon as the least skilled craft in the building industry. Perhaps reserve the lowest company wage earners to complete the punch list tasks.

Last edited by CApainter; 12-02-2016 at 11:07 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 129
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

@kentdalimp Thanks for sharing! Your blog post was very well written and it was helpful to hear great how you've dealt with trade damage.

Most of my work is resi repaint, but in the 6 months a lot of my workload has been coming from 2 GC's. Trade damage hasn't been an issue yet, but after reading your post I need to do a better job communicating and including clauses in my contracts about trade damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16
View kentdalimp's Photo Album My Photos

Thank you everybody for the responses. I'm sitting at work waiting on Lunch and popped back in to see if it had been marked as SPAM or something.

I'm working on a few more posts because having come from owning a business, there is a lot I have learned during my time with a Large Company. I'm trying to think of what would be beneficial to a lot of guys doing their own thing.

Any thoughts on topics you would like to see?
kentdalimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,954 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Hey Kent. There's actually a section of the forum specifically for posting blogs.

http://www.painttalk.com/f31/

Yours was a great read. I went through a bunch of the situations mentioned when working for a few GCs. What a nightmare. Only suggestion I'd make is changing the text from grey to black or something. The grey made it a bit hard to read. Otherwise, it was a really good read.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 296
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Very good blog!

It would seem practical to just prime everything before hand and wait for the other trades to finish before applying the finish. But I suppose it's not. Particularly if the painter is the last one there painting under project conditions that have become urgent due to a budget crisis.

And then again, maybe it just goes with the territory in terms of a personal trade choice and the fact that painting is often looked upon as the least skilled craft in the building industry. Perhaps reserve the lowest company wage earners to complete the punch list tasks.
Do you really want to wait until the carpet guy finishes his job?...Those guys always want to come in before us but I won't let them.Good carpet installers can do a good job without marking up the walls if they really HAVE TO. I mean, they love when they can lay the carpet up on the wall and cut it that way. It saves them a lot of time and they subsequently earn more money. I always balk at it and usually get my way.

I'm a re-painter not a NC contractor.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 321
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Really good stuff there, it took us a while to get the GC we work for to understand the difference in touch up and damage repair. Stuff still gets beat up but at least now we are paid to fix it. And I agree about the grey print being a little hard to read.
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpaints82 View Post
Really good stuff there, it took us a while to get the GC we work for to understand the difference in touch up and damage repair. Stuff still gets beat up but at least now we are paid to fix it. And I agree about the grey print being a little hard to read.
I had a designer once tell me to include touch-ups in the job price. I resisted and said it would be impossible to guess how much damage will incur after each job. I have no issues at all touching up our own mistakes but there is no GD way that we are going to touch up other trades damage for free. Sometimes you have to repaint the entire house. With the new acrylics there is no such thing as a touch-up on a wall. Whatever you do it will flash.

This is why there are misunderstandings. People think that touch-ups are exactly what the word implies---A little dab here,a little dab there..WRONG!!!

Eventually she wore me down and I included a hefty charge for expected "touch-ups" in the final quote. (I'm NOT going to guesstimate LOW) Next, she complained that my prices were too high...We eventually went our separate ways. Some people just do not understand our business no matter how many times you explain it to them.

BTW the final price also included the 5% fee she charged me per job for the referral.No wonder the customers complained about the price to her. SMH
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 321
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
I had a designer once tell me to include touch-ups in the job price. I resisted and said it would be impossible to guess how much damage will incur after each job. I have no issues at all touching up our own mistakes but there is no GD way that we are going to touch up other trades damage for free. Sometimes you have to repaint the entire house. With the new acrylics there is no such thing as a touch-up on a wall. Whatever you do it will flash.

This is why there are misunderstandings. People think that touch-ups are exactly what the word implies---A little dab here,a little dab there..WRONG!!!

Eventually she wore me down and I included a hefty charge for expected "touch-ups" in the final quote. (I'm NOT going to guesstimate LOW) Next, she complained that my prices were too high...We eventually went our separate ways. Some people just do not understand our business no matter how many times you explain it to them.

BTW the final price also included the 5% fee she charged me per job for the referral.No wonder the customers complained about the price to her. SMH
I have worked with a couple interior designers, it is usually a PITA. We had one have the nerve to tell us that she saw color different than most people because she had an extra cone in her eye... I guess to try to justify her outrageous prices.. I told my dad I had an extra cone in my ear, and that I could hear bull S*&+ a mile away.
PRC, lilpaintchic and Mr Smith like this.
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpaints82 View Post
I have worked with a couple interior designers, it is usually a PITA. We had one have the nerve to tell us that she saw color different than most people because she had an extra cone in her eye... I guess to try to justify her outrageous prices.. I told my dad I had an extra cone in my ear, and that I could hear bull S*&+ a mile away.
A few years ago I did a presentation of sorts in front of an entire office of interior designers/decorators. It was a BIG firm. I impressed them and was awarded a job. We completed the work and the designer wanted a 20% commission for the referral. I said you got to be chitting me! The most I ever paid was 5%. This was a 10K job so the sum was 2K...I refused and never saw them again.

Bottom line is, don't assume that some big companies are going to play fair with you------- even though the kickback transaction is a bit shady. I'm sure their customers don't know about the 20% commission. There is a reason why they always want to be paid in CASH.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 12-02-2016 at 10:16 PM..
Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 168
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdalimp View Post
Just linking this here. I'm interested to hear what everybody's experience is with Trade Damage, and what your approach is!

http://constructioncareerpodcast.com...-damage-right/
Nice Blog. Thank you for sharing it.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

When a GC says this to me I tell them I will estimate an additional 200 hours for touch ups at x-amount an hour. This usually changes their minds on adding touch ups to the estimate.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 6
Thanked 1,359 Times in 791 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

To be fair, I hav r not read the blog....yet.
All I know is we don't do a lot of NC or commercial so the trade damage we usually encounter is from our own carpenters and tile guys and such. We call that "job security"
In the off chance that we are working on a multi trade project, it's outlined that no other trades are to be in active painting areas and that trade damage repairs will be billed at t&m+20% at the end....those agreements are made prior to opening a can.
four2knapp likes this.
lilpaintchic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,954 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
To be fair, I hav r not read the blog....yet.
All I know is we don't do a lot of NC or commercial so the trade damage we usually encounter is from our own carpenters and tile guys and such. We call that "job security"
In the off chance that we are working on a multi trade project, it's outlined that no other trades are to be in active painting areas and that trade damage repairs will be billed at t&m+20% at the end....those agreements are made prior to opening a can.
Wow, would be nice to be able to make a GC agree to that around here.

This pic is from the last NC job I did. The carpenter boys decided to set their chop saw up right against a wall in a room I'd painted a couple days prior while doing trim.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
Gracobucks (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 720
Thanked 10,419 Times in 5,692 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

The whole touch-up issue was the reason we settled on our particular work sequence for NC. After ALL the other trades are done, we paint a final coat on the walls.

Our regular GCs liked this for several reasons: it saves all the finger-pointing over who did what; it's a predictable amount, since it's basically a one-coat resi repaint (typically, with no furniture); and it looks great, with no issues about how well the touch ups blend.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Jmayspaint (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 6
Thanked 1,359 Times in 791 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post

This pic is from the last NC job I did. The carpenter boys decided to set their chop saw up right against a wall in a room I'd painted a couple days prior while doing trim.
Like I said, we don't do a lot of em. I do have 2 other gc's that we work for that do remodels they like us and are happy to accommodate as needed. I, too, try to be last in. Color coat during production final at finish...but I'm not fixing ho stuff or trade damage for free.
lilpaintchic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post

I've been known to have painted a few saw blades back in the day. Nice oil based primer or paint. Most of those guys learned quick not to set up in my finished rooms. The smell they had to put up with from burning paint.
CApainter, lilpaintchic and AngieM like this.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,022
Thanked 1,500 Times in 737 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
I've been known to have painted a few saw blades back in the day. Nice oil based primer or paint. Most of those guys learned quick not to set up in my finished rooms. The smell they had to put up with from burning paint.
Paint his saw? You are nicer than me. I would have made that saw disappear. Especially after mocking me by writing in the dust.

I once kicked a guys radio down the steps for blaring it too loud.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post
Paint his saw? You are nicer than me. I would have made that saw disappear. Especially after mocking me by writing in the dust.

I once kicked a guys radio down the steps for blaring it too loud.

Just the blade. I wouldn't want to damage someones stuff. I've thought about it.