Unique Selling Proposition (USP) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By ridesarize
  • 2 Post By BBrush
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 2 Post By BBrush
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 2 Post By PNW Painter
  • 1 Post By ElegantPainting
  • 2 Post By Badco Doors
  • 1 Post By ElegantPainting

Old 11-28-2016, 02:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 148
View csbeepee's Photo Album My Photos
Default Unique Selling Proposition (USP)

I am trying to figure out a good USP for a residential painting contractor and am having trouble grasping this whole idea.. Does anyone out there have one they use? For anyone who doesn't know what a USP is, check out How to Find your USP and this one for examples.
csbeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 762
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbeepee View Post
I am trying to figure out a good USP for a residential painting contractor and am having trouble grasping this whole idea.. Does anyone out there have one they use? For anyone who doesn't know what a USP is, check out How to Find your USP and this one for examples.
Haven't had to utilize that method, especially since I'm not a business owner or estimator, but a couple things come to mind. What about "1 free touch up within a year, up to 4 hrs labor"..one surface only like trim, or walls, or siding.

Or, "one free accent wall color, labor only"

Just brainstorming...
csbeepee likes this.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:06 AM   #3

It's much harder than one would think... Thanks for the ideas!

Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View BBrush's Photo Album My Photos

Make a list of what us unique about your company. Guarantee, employees, pricing, etc....
CApainter and csbeepee like this.
BBrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 296
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah it's difficult to offer free things as a promotion in this business. I mean you see 10% or 20% off all the time but what does that really mean? People don't know your prices. I don't think that works because everyone does it. It''s a gimmick.

I was thinking about teaming up with a carpet cleaner and offering a free carpet cleaning per room painted. That would be up to a $200 value to some.

One could also offer a free interior decorator consult. Most charge $100 or so for an hours work. Plenty of designers would work with ya. It's also a nice 'quid pro quo' partnership type of situation..
csbeepee likes this.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View BBrush's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

My husband owns a carpet cleaning business here in VA, and I will tell you if you choose a reputable carpet cleaning company it would be a great joint venture for both of you.
CApainter and csbeepee like this.
BBrush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BBrush For This Useful Post:
Mr Smith (11-29-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Yeah it's difficult to offer free things as a promotion in this business. I mean you see 10% or 20% off all the time but what does that really mean? People don't know your prices. I don't think that works because everyone does it. It''s a gimmick.

I was thinking about teaming up with a carpet cleaner and offering a free carpet cleaning per room painted. That would be up to a $200 value to some.

One could also offer a free interior decorator consult. Most charge $100 or so for an hours work. Plenty of designers would work with ya. It's also a nice 'quid pro quo' partnership type of situation..

Both great ideas! Have you gotten feedback on how you would be charged for either service? Figure out what your cost would be from the cleaner and tack that on each room??
Old 12-02-2016, 12:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 137
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I'm curious as to why you're trying to come up with a USP? A little more insight into your business would be helpful. Commercial, residential, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,556
Thanked 9,221 Times in 5,127 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The link is blocked at my work station, but I was able to read about USP on Wikipedia.

PT's history is built on a foundation of member's ideas concerning "differentiation". But nothing has ever stood out as unique, sustainable, or even game changing in my opinion. And that's probably because a painting service is neither looked at as some sort of sexy technological advancement, or a consumer cost saving enterprise like all of the major big box stores seem to be.

Nope. Painting will always be just a humble endeavor that requires nothing more than honesty, conscientiousness, and a strong back in order to appeal to the consumer. IMO.

I also believe that the internet age has nurtured an urgency to implement business ideas that perhaps facilitates expediency for large corporations, but can actually be a burden for small businesses. But I suppose something has to doll up those mom and pop sites saturating the web.
AngieM likes this.

Last edited by CApainter; 12-02-2016 at 10:40 AM..
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (02-11-2017)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4
View painterjoshie's Photo Album My Photos

Most painters don't like the idea of a USP because it forces you to decide on a niche. Instead of chasing down any potential job and "painting grass green if it makes money."
painterjoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterjoshie View Post
Most painters don't like the idea of a USP because it forces you to decide on a niche. Instead of chasing down any potential job and "painting grass green if it makes money."
Wouldn't painting dead grass green be a niché?

Unlike iPods, ipads, and iphones, which act as a personally tailored device that interface an individual into a world of possibilities, painting is no more exotic than a janitorial service with a reach no more distant than local. Therefore, the real USP in painting is in maintaining its aesthetic value. Just like a janitorial service.

Last edited by CApainter; 12-05-2016 at 07:56 PM..
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
It is what it is.

Rewards Points: 558
Thanked 8,395 Times in 4,257 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

I never use the term "free" in any of my literature because it attracts a clientele I'm not interested in. Instead I use the word "complimentary" when making an offer.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Wouldn't painting dead grass green be a niché?

Unlike iPods, ipads, and iphones, which act as a personally tailored device that interface an individual into a world of possibilities, painting is no more exotic than a janitorial service with a reach no more distant than local. Therefore, the real USP in painting is in maintaining its aesthetic value. Just like a janitorial service.
Thanks, CA, I think I just found our painting company's USP! Seriously. The language is clunky, but the concept is there: personally tailored...world of possibilities.

I think we limit ourselves when we view our chosen trade as "no more exotic than a janitorial service." That quickly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited by Gough; 12-16-2016 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Orthography
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-10-2017)
Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 137
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Someone from the BBB called me earlier this week and during our conversation he asked what made my company unique. I told him if the scope of work and products used are the same, then not very much compared to other reputable painting companies.

Since I paint solo, I kinda think I'm the USP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gough and Rbriggs82 like this.
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 26
View Showtime's Photo Album My Photos

My USP is ONE DAY Painting or its FREE (up to 1200sqft Walls Only). I gotta be a dumptruck to do that right? Well It's basically just an Alternate Bid with a increase in Labor. It started off as a joke when one of my guys showed me his phone and some scrub on Craigslist was charging $50 "any room". Ya it was a joke until I started getting replies. The ones who bite on this are convinced it can't be done and are looking to get it for free. Until they see 4-7 painters in there house ( >.< ) I ended up contacting the $50 a room guy and hired him as a helper. Either hire him or put him out of his misery lol
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
Thanks, CA, I think I just found our painting company's USP! Seriously. The language is clunky, but the concept is there: personally tailored...world of possibilities.

I think we limit ourselves when we view our chosen trade as "no more exotic than a janitorial service." That quickly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I just recently finished listening to Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich, and your point is well taken. However, I would argue that in general, the painting vocation in and of itself is no more impressive than carpet installation, window dressing, cleaning services, etc. Especially when you pit it in competition with the variety of other consumer interests.

But how you envision and implement a mediocre vocation, can make the difference between struggle and wealth in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 94
View ElegantPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbeepee View Post
This is a great topic, thank you for starting the conversation.

Brian Tracy puts it best; if your selling point is "quality of service" then you are just like the rest of them.

Our USPs:

1) Family friendly. Uniformed, screened non-smokers. We have a conduct policy and you can trust us inside your home and around your children.

2) Minimize inconvenience. We take care of everything. Color consult, move furniture, work around your schedule, vacuum and steam vac floors after the job, and whatever else is needed. Client's job is to approve colors and make payments.

3) Responsiveness. Emails & calls; instant replies 7 days a week.
Badco Doors likes this.
ElegantPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #18
AKA Pearce Services

Rewards Points: 26
View Badco Doors's Photo Album My Photos

I am not a painter, but the idea for USP is basic across most trades. I never miss an opportunity to ask a new customer how long ago was their last similar project, how well did it go, and what do they wish the previous contractor did differently.

Then ask bout their wilingness to pay a small premium for this premium service. Do this for a few months and look for trends, and cost effective methods to address the issues you uncover. Then build your USP based on that knowledge. Basically a USP is irrelevant if it does not appeal to your customer.
ElegantPainting and csbeepee like this.
Badco Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 94
View ElegantPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badco Doors View Post
I never miss an opportunity to ask a new customer how long ago was their last similar project, how well did it go, and what do they wish the previous contractor did differently.

...basically a USP is irrelevant if it does not appeal to your customer.
I think this is key. It is easy to make the mistake of perceiving things from our own point of view rather than the clients.
csbeepee likes this.
ElegantPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ElegantPainting For This Useful Post:
Badco Doors (02-11-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badco Doors View Post
I am not a painter, but the idea for USP is basic across most trades. I never miss an opportunity to ask a new customer how long ago was their last similar project, how well did it go, and what do they wish the previous contractor did differently.

Then ask bout their wilingness to pay a small premium for this premium service. Do this for a few months and look for trends, and cost effective methods to address the issues you uncover. Then build your USP based on that knowledge. Basically a USP is irrelevant if it does not appeal to your customer.
That's on point. I will be doing a "closing survey" where I will incorporate those questions. I have, since first posting this thread, started to offer warranties up to 10 years. In my area, no one offers a warranty over 2 years, so this will set me apart. In time, I will have a more defined USP from the surveys.