Another " Latex over oil " question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56
View Tundra02's Photo Album My Photos
Default Another " Latex over oil " question

I went and looked at a job today ( I know it's Labor Day . It's the only day I was available for the next 3 weeks ) . The HO wants a entire interior repaint . so here is the PIA part . The previous owner had all wood work in the house including kitchen cabinets painted and whoever painted used a flat latex over all the oil painted trim ( I did the ole alcohol rub trick ) . The HO has like 4 little ones running around and there is chipped latex from the floors up 3 feet and around door knobs , drawer pulls etc .

Here was my plan of attack . Sand all the peeling latex flush on the door casings , prime with a oil based primer and 2 coats of Pro Classic alkyd modified . And on the kitchen cabinets sand all the latex off and paint with the above oil and Pro Classic . My question is do I really need to sand off the latex on the wood work including a simple crown molding to achive a good bond with the primer .
Tundra02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Have you done a lead test on the oil-base yet? If not you should start there first before doing anything in there especially with kids in house. If not lead then try to remove as much as possible, prime with oil primer, then top coat. I prefer Advance more than Pro-classic because pro-classic ropes like hell if you try to get back into it. Advance lays flatter faster and you can get back into it for touch-ups and not have any problems.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 806
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,703 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
Have you done a lead test on the oil-base yet? If not you should start there first before doing anything in there especially with kids in house. If not lead then try to remove as much as possible, prime with oil primer, then top coat. I prefer Advance more than Pro-classic because pro-classic ropes like hell if you try to get back into it. Advance lays flatter faster and you can get back into it for touch-ups and not have any problems.
I was beginning to think i was the only person to experience this, what with all the local painters raving about Proclassic. I was beginning to think i was going crazy.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 56
View Tundra02's Photo Album My Photos

I prefer Advance more than Pro-classic because pro-classic ropes like hell if you try to get back into it. Advance lays flatter faster and you can get back into it for touch-ups and not have any problems.

I am going to be spraying the Pro Classic so roping isn't a issue . And when I have brushed it I have found that adding a little flotrol or water works well .
Tundra02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundra02 For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (10-09-2015)