BM Restore without a power washer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NACE
  • 1 Post By PRC
  • 1 Post By StepUpBham

Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 50
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default BM Restore without a power washer

Hi all,
I am doing a bid on a house that had a third floor added onto it over the winter. We will be painting the shingles on the first and second floor (only the back of the house has 3 floors of shingles). The shingles are in decent shape, but definately have some grey wood that needs to be removed. Wondering if a stiff brush and a hose is enough to remove grey wood from the cedar using BM restore. I use this because it is the only thing I have available to me locally. I might want to avoid using the power washer in a couple areas due to not wanting to take stain off the new shingles. Or, is it just easier using a power washer?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 956
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Yes. It will work. But you'll need to use he Brightener Neutralizer.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

It's a good product and that will work but a PW will make the rinsing faster. You can always turn it down to 800-1000 psi.
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 105
View StepUpBham's Photo Album My Photos

I've done whole houses and partial shingle banks with the Restore and Remove. Pressure washing definitely helps for rinsing, but a brush works alright, too. If you have that diluted down to Restore strength and you wet the other shingles down first I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the runoff stripping the surrounding shingles. Better safe than sorry, though. Masking surrounding areas with duct tape and 4 mil plastic usually provide a decent barrier, but sometimes it still blasts off.

And yeah, make sure you use Brighten afterward. :-)
StepUpBham is offline   Reply With Quote