Caulk to use when staining residential exterior - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 148
View csbeepee's Photo Album My Photos
Default Caulk to use when staining residential exterior

I am bidding on a 5,000 sq ft home with Barnwood exterior siding (board & batt). I am curious what experience you guys have using either a clear acrylic latex caulk, or something like permachink, textured caulking. I want to obviously seal water penetration points around the home before applying stain. Any positive input will be appreciated. Thanks!
csbeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 132
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I don't think that is your problem? Water intrusion prevention would come from the moisture barrier used by the siding contractor. You are just asthetic with stain, not providing any sort of protection. A job like that sounds like it would have some sort of section 9900 for paint, telling you what your responsibilities are, or least direction from the architect or designer.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
PaintMaker (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,426
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbeepee View Post
I am bidding on a 5,000 sq ft home with Barnwood exterior siding (board & batt). I am curious what experience you guys have using either a clear acrylic latex caulk, or something like permachink, textured caulking. I want to obviously seal water penetration points around the home before applying stain. Any positive input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Careful you don't seal the wrong spots. A lot of material like lap siding is designed to breathe and caulking it in the wrong spots actually can seal moisture in, causing pain failures and issues for you work.

As for the type I like to use Shermax. It's a blend of things but it's basically an elastomeric caulking. Stretchability is great so cold/hot should work fine.

I've never had issues with the stuff.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 148
View csbeepee's Photo Album My Photos

I should have clarified... This is a Residential Repaint project. Looks like it was never caulked in the first place and the envelope is sealed by the siders. No need to caulk as @MikeCalifornia stated.
@woodcoyote I like to use Shermax too. Denfeld also has a similar product called TowerTech2. Same stretchability and consistency as Shermax. I haven't been able to go back and check if it's failed on me yet (only in business one year). We will see!

I usually only caulk the horizontal joints (i.e. along the top edge of the belly band and watertable).

Got this one figured out. Thanks!
csbeepee is offline   Reply With Quote