Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

to Clear or Not to Clear? (Cabinets)

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Roadog 
#1 ·
I have a pretty good size kitchen job scheduled for this week and I was thinking about trying something new (for me). I will be painting stained oak cabinets with an alkyd primer and plan on finishing with the BM's WB Impervo.

I have been contemplating applying 2-3 coats of the BM Stays Clear to finish them off. Now, I know the Impervo will offer a sufficient coating for both durability and appearance but I was thinking that the Stays Clear would offer some depth to the finish. I've read a few comments on both sides of this but would like to explore it a little more.

What say you, are there pros/cons to finishing with a few coats of Stays Clear?

#3 ·
Put it on! Stays Clear is a very good product and certainly will add value to the project. I don't know their specs, but I'd suggest 2 coats of gloss and then finish it w/ whatever sheen they'd like. That will help keep clarity.

My clients use Stays Clear for most of their glazed cabinets.

I plan on finishing with a satin/low lustre on the Impervo to match the rest of the house and kitchen that I did last spring. So your saying use a couple of coats of Gloss clear then finish with the Satin clear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.