Empty reply from DAP - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By cdpainting
  • 1 Post By slinger58
  • 2 Post By TrueColors

Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 109
View Bighead's Photo Album My Photos
Default Empty reply from DAP

I sent an email to DAP inquiring about the changes to Fast and Final and Drydex. Got an empty reply instead of a discussion about newer formulas and how the end user is not happy with the new products. I'm certainly not interested in a refund from a 5 dollar product, just want it to work so my quality of work doesn't suffer.....

From DAP:
"We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you are dissatisfied with the products performance, you are welcome to a complete refund. You can return the product to the purchase store or simply send us your receipt and we would be happy to refund you directly. Please note that it is not normal for either product to have a watery like consistency and the performance you've encountered can possibly be due to age as both products have a shelf life of one year. "
Bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 822
Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,035 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

That's disappointing. Looks like all of DAP's products are going down the drain. Alex+ caulking has turned into Alex- as well. It's a shame, I'd been using it pretty much exclusively for over a decade.
cdpainting likes this.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,112
Thanked 4,159 Times in 2,735 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

The box store curse! It's nothing new. If it was a shelf life issue it would be hard, not watery. Although there could be some liquid on the top.
Kind of like the time I called Behr customer service for a guy to see how to take care of some peeling deck-over and they said to just put some solid stain over it. BS!
Chuck the painter likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 630
Thanked 4,477 Times in 2,814 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
That's disappointing. Looks like all of DAP's products are going down the drain. Alex+ caulking has turned into Alex- as well. It's a shame, I'd been using it pretty much exclusively for over a decade.
I used it since day 1 of painting. Over the years it has changed alot. Tower Tech II or Big Stretch is all we use now. In a bind we will still use DAP stuff.

As for hole filling we use Minwax Wood Filler.
Chuck the painter likes this.
cdpainting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 674
Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I sent an email to DAP inquiring about the changes to Fast and Final and Drydex. Got an empty reply instead of a discussion about newer formulas and how the end user is not happy with the new products. I'm certainly not interested in a refund from a 5 dollar product, just want it to work so my quality of work doesn't suffer.....

From DAP:
"We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you are dissatisfied with the products performance, you are welcome to a complete refund. You can return the product to the purchase store or simply send us your receipt and we would be happy to refund you directly. Please note that it is not normal for either product to have a watery like consistency and the performance you've encountered can possibly be due to age as both products have a shelf life of one year. "
I've noticed it stays well in the can, but it seems to be taking longer to dry

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
journeymanPainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 131
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

DAP is a large company so it's not surprising that you'd get a form letter response from them. Unless dealers start complaining or sales drop you're unlikely to see any changes.

Unless it's a small privately held company, it's not worth the time reaching out to most companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
Bighead (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
DAP is a large company so it's not surprising that you'd get a form letter response from them. Unless dealers start complaining or sales drop you're unlikely to see any changes.

Unless it's a small privately held company, it's not worth the time reaching out to most companies.

Good point. The other problem is that they are selling all they can make to the box stores, and if they are getting the product quality they require at the cost they want then they (DAP) don't give a rats a55 that a few people don't care for it.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:58 AM   #8

Now that I think of it, when I started to notice Alex+ going all runny and oozing out of the tube a few years back I mentioned it to the girls at the paint shop I use. They eventually talked to their rep who told me to bring it back for a refund as well.

Or, they'd give me a new tube.

No thanks.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,058
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't used alex+ in many many years. Found it harder to gun and stiff to tool.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Weird how that Alex+ stuff varies from being runny to being to stiff isn't it? Quality control issue much? I've had tubes from the same box come back for being two completely different viscosities! And that was 5-6 years ago! Back in the eighties we sold it by the skid at proshows and never once had a return. Not a good, reliable product anymore by any means. But if you are a diy'er and only use a couple tubes every twenty years then you would never know would you? Seems to me like they really left the people who used the product regularly hanging doesn't it?

That's why I won't carry it. No matter how cheap I can sell it. Not worth the problems anymore.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 260
Thanked 5,562 Times in 2,938 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Since the subject is caulk.....I bought a tube of 100% silicone last week from my local BM dealer. Got back to the job, cut the nozzle and tried to poke through the foil seal. The stuff was cured in the tube. I examined the tube and saw this stamped on there: "DOM 022010". Wondered if that meant "Date of Manufacture February 2010"? Took it back to the store and they said "yeah, that's probably what it means." So we looked on the rack to see if they had any that was a little fresher. Nope. But they did have a few tubes made in 2007!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Since the subject is caulk.....I bought a tube of 100% silicone last week from my local BM dealer. Got back to the job, cut the nozzle and tried to poke through the foil seal. The stuff was cured in the tube. I examined the tube and saw this stamped on there: "DOM 022010". Wondered if that meant "Date of Manufacture February 2010"? Took it back to the store and they said "yeah, that's probably what it means." So we looked on the rack to see if they had any that was a little fresher. Nope. But they did have a few tubes made in 2007!
People probably been reading how many painters whine about silicone on the interweb on some painting site, so they stopped buying it.

Now everyone's gonna be grilling you about EXACTLY you were planning on doing with that tube of silicone Sir! Better not have been sealing the top of a countertop to a painted wall with the clear stuff!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 260
Thanked 5,562 Times in 2,938 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
People probably been reading how many painters whine about silicone on the interweb on some painting site, so they stopped buying it.

Now everyone's gonna be grilling you about EXACTLY you were planning on doing with that tube of silicone Sir! Better not have been sealing the top of a countertop to a painted wall with the clear stuff!
I should have anticipated that question. I was using it on some flashing on the roof.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 160
View TrueColors's Photo Album My Photos
Default Empty reply from DAP

Alex+ is garbage. I wouldn't use that junk in a garage. Honestly you will caulk base and it will split or crack In no time. Spend the extra $1 and get something quality.

Zanfirico and PACman like this.
TrueColors is offline   Reply With Quote