CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View madducks's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fiberglass? door from Lowes Jeld-Wen Reliabilt paint with what?

My attorney, who has done favors for me, just purchased a new front door from Lowe's. It's supposedly a fiberglass door - a Jeld-Wen Reliabilt that was milled by ABS. He wants me to paint it.

It is not like any of the Thermatru Smooth Star doors that I'm used to painting. It's very glossy, shiny and smooth. It doesn't even look like fiberglass, but rather like a plastic or a vinyl.

I went to Lowe's to find out about it from them. They didn't know anything and could not help me at all. Experts.

Has anyone ever encountered one of these doors before?

Normally I lightly sand and then paint with BM's Metal Wood Enamel. But this door is scarry looking being so shiny and this is my attorney...

Thanks.

madducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

What you're describing sounds like an aluminium door which is overcoated with upvc. Or it could just be a upvc door and the guy is mistaken about what he has been sold..?

TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,378
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,827 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Consult the manufacturer, the only way to CYA
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

sounds like a maintenance-free door, and not meant for painting? Is the customer trying to match the other trim? I'm sure BIN will stick to it
Old 06-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Consult the manufacturer, the only way to CYA
I'm trying to consult the manufacturer, but getting no where.... I guess since Jeld-Wen makes it for Lowe's, Jeld-Wen doesn't support it??? I find nothing on the website and I'm now trying to get a phone number to call on Monday.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
What you're describing sounds like an aluminium door which is overcoated with upvc. Or it could just be a upvc door and the guy is mistaken about what he has been sold..?
Mistaken might be the prevailing word here considering the guy I spoke with at Lowes. When he couldn't find any information on the door, he told me to wipe it down with paint thinner and then paint it with an exterior latex....

So, if it is a upvc coating or laminate, can you paint that and if so with what?

I sort of just want to tell my attorney to take the door back and let me get him a good Therma-Tru Smooth Star door....
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Tell him to hire someone who knows what they're doing. I think that your best bet.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonVA View Post
sounds like a maintenance-free door, and not meant for painting? Is the customer trying to match the other trim? I'm sure BIN will stick to it
I'm not familiar with acronyms here (or how to spell it even). What is BIN?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madducks View Post
. What is BIN?
Like I said, tell him to hire someone who knows what they re doing!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Tell him to hire someone who knows what they're doing. I think that your best bet.
Thank you. I usually do most of our interior trim work and have for years. I have another quality, experienced painter that I use when we have too many projects goings at once for the trim, windows and doors.

He came and looked at the door and has never seen one like it either. Then we started calling around to other local painters and nobody has ever had to paint such a door.

I think that neither of us have ever seen such a door because it is not at all what we usually use. It's from Lowe's and a "cheap" version of something. My guess is that the spec builders might use them and don't paint them.

Since your advice to hire someone who knows what they are doing and nothing else. I am also assuming that you proably don't have a clue either how to prep and paint this door. So, maybe you would fall into the category of NOT knowing what you are doing.

Thanks for being so helpful.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:

Since your advice to hire someone who knows what they are doing and nothing else. I am also assuming that you proably don't have a clue either how to prep and paint this door. So, maybe you would fall into the category of NOT knowing what you are doing.

Thanks for being so helpful.
Okay Mr. builder! Hi! my name is madducks I am builder but have been in the coating business for 99 years and don't know what BIN is! Kiss my ass, i wouldn't help you if you were the last of the Mohicans.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Okay Mr. builder! Hi! my name is madducks I am builder but have been in the coating business for 99 years and don't know what BIN is! Kiss my ass, i wouldn't help you if you were the last of the Mohicans.
Thanks again for being so friendly and helpful. And I finally realized that BIN is the Zinsser product. I'm sorry my brain was being so dense.

Last edited by madducks; 06-21-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,038
Thanked 6,464 Times in 4,346 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks again for being so friendly and helpful. And I finally realized that BIN is the Zinsser product. I'm sorry my brain was being so dense.
You need a faster internet connection 30 minutes to google BIN lol

Go with manufacture specs
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #14

View MissChaos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Jeld-Wen Door

This post is pretty old - and I'm not sure if you've figured your problem out or not... BUT... I work for Jeld-Wen... The fiberglass doors do look kind of odd and they are very smooth and glossy... NOW - Jeld-Wen requires that you pain the door or the door will not be covered by it's warrenty.. BUT my general manager currently went to Canada and discovered that most of our customers DO NOT paint there doors... I would recommend it though.
MissChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #15

View robert hosey's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
My attorney, who has done favors for me, just purchased a new front door from Lowe's. It's supposedly a fiberglass door - a Jeld-Wen Reliabilt that was milled by ABS. He wants me to paint it.

It is not like any of the Thermatru Smooth Star doors that I'm used to painting. It's very glossy, shiny and smooth. It doesn't even look like fiberglass, but rather like a plastic or a vinyl.

I went to Lowe's to find out about it from them. They didn't know anything and could not help me at all. Experts.

Has anyone ever encountered one of these doors before?

Normally I lightly sand and then paint with BM's Metal Wood Enamel. But this door is scarry looking being so shiny and this is my attorney...

Thanks.
i would scuff it good then use XIM 400

robert hosey is offline   Reply With Quote