Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Lead paint

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  RCP 
#1 ·
Took a class tonight that said by april 2010 epa will mandate all contractors to have a lead paint cert.

#3 · (Edited)
It is federal, so everyone has to comply.
I did a bid for a HO a while ago that had just bought the house (pre 1978) and he was required to have it inspected for the bank loan

If you use Google Earth, it has a "time stamp" that allows you to see what an area looked like years ago. I did my area to 1978 and it was not very populated, you could use it to see what the potential is in your area.

I think there could be opportunities for someone to at least take the training to be a Lead Inspector.
I think there are going to be some opportunities to offer lead removal, won't be us, but someone will have to do it, if it is enforced.

I posted a thread about ordering info.

#4 ·
I've stated it before, and I am glad others are re-enforcing it. The federal mandates are going to affect all that disturb surfaces in homes, day-cares, and schools built prior to 1978.

It behooves us all to understand what is happening.

Work,
Usually federal laws, such as this, supersede less stringent state laws.

again WE ALL will be affected ...... if we are working within the laws, that is.

And we all know that ALL contractors ALWAYS work within the laws :no:

Once again, here is a link to PWC's latest article on the new mandates with links to federal sites:

http://www.paintstore.com/article.php?item=2715

BTW, Msargent, congrats on making the effort to take the class :thumbup:

#6 ·
I'm license to work on homes that have lead base paint, with that being said, I have to bid against contractors, or want to be's, that don't even know what lead is, or care. The cost to do the job right is about three to four times what it cost for a non lead home, so home owners are paying for some hacks that don't care about their, or anyone else's health to do painting. I fed up with it, the goverment is not going to do anything about it, so let them deal with it, but wait theres more, when the homeowner has a kid that get sick they look for someone to sue, and it will be that 22 year old that scraped their home.

#10 ·
RCP no it was not a mandatory class but it so happens that 1 the area i live in. Has the highest population of lead homes supposedly in state and they said nearly 90% of VT is lead.The contractor i worked for for 12 years before i went out on my own always used to say " you know i have been painting for over 40 years i am not dead youi know how many chips you need to eat" Now i know its not the chips that kills kids it is the dust and 1 packet of sugar is enough to contaminate 700 10by 12 rooms so she said.2 I am working on an old house and i used a lead test kit for the first time ever and it didnt take long to turn red.Course they are known to give false postive results. But better safe than sorry for the HO and there kids.

#12 ·
John i see that as being a big problem in my state as well not enough people to enforce it but if I get caught I am not willing to lose everything i have bled ,sweat,Cried for. As for my circumstance had i had the class before i bid the job back in april the price would have been alot different. Now i Know!!

#13 ·
One thing to do now is to add to your advertising that you are certified to work with lead paint it could bring in some xtra work.Great that you took the class it gives you a good info to protect yourself and the homeowner. The law is here if the home was built before 1978 the homeowner needs a certificate from a licensed lead inspector that the home is lead free otherwise it contains lead paint this is a good rule to go by.The test kits you buy over the counter are junk. Just the other day i was driving by a house where a guy was using a power sander wearing a home depot dust mask.I'M with arch next time i will drop a dime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.