Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

New drywall primer gone bad

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  futtyos 
#1 ·
I'm not new to this great site, but am now posting a question for the first time. My husband and I are owner/builders. Brought in a painter, highly recommended, to prime new drywall. Used PPG Speedhide, sprayed and rolled. Saw nothing wrong with end result. These walls have actually been sanded as well. Photo attached. Hope it uploaded right. Had to bring in my drywall guy to skim coat every inch. Some areas were so thick with primer, we ended up doing several skim coats/sanding. Skim coat done, I rolled Gardz over all skim coated walls. Finish coat is BM Regal Eggshell. Question is...is it possible to spot prime with Gardz, before final finish coat, without it flashing? I did a sample section, and I can see exactly the area where it was rolled. Do I actually have to roll an entire wall with the Gardz again before final eggshell topcoat? I am finally at a point where I can contribute...I can't lay brick, hang drywall or pull wires, we'll pull wires I can do. ? We just want to live in this house and be done with building it. Thanks so much for any guidance.

Attachments

View Attachment

View Attachment

#3 ·
Gardz new drywall

I would put at least a full, thorough coat of Gardz on before painting. I usually put 2 coats of Gardz on new drywall. The second coat goes fast and seals up areas that are too porous for one coat to seal. Gardz seals better than anything else I have found (and I always ask those here if they have found something that works better - and so far I have not heard of anything better mentioned by anyone) and leaves the best surface you could ask for to brush and roll paint on and give an even coat. You should try it on at least one room or wall to see how well it works. It really makes the job of painting the finish coats so easy!

futtyos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.