CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View JoseyWales's Photo Album My Photos
Default Removing old caulking from siding

Tomorrow I have the fun job of removing a ton of caulking from every corner of a sided house that has cracked/split...

Anyone come up with a speedy method?

Anyone try a dremmel tool or something similar?..I'll probably just use a scraper,utility knife and some elbow grease.

JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
In A Relationship

Rewards Points: 2,046
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,390 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

wait for FatherSonPainting to come along, i think this is right up his alley ...........had some before/after pics up before with some bad caulk lines

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 2,150
Thanked 5,528 Times in 3,352 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

A fast method would be to caulk over the old. There are tools designed to remove caulk. Look online for a quick reference. A solid stanley knife works too. Protip, wear mechanic gloves.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
View poet-1's Photo Album My Photos

If the old caulk is hard: a heat gun.
poet-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poet-1 For This Useful Post:
JoseyWales (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #5

Found the solution hopefully...I'm going to purchase a Dremel Multi Max tool...It has a flexible scraper to remove caulking and the detail sander is a nice bonus..I could have used it last week on some window sills.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/videosan...name=multi-max

Last edited by JoseyWales; 08-11-2011 at 02:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JoseyWales For This Useful Post:
BreatheEasyHP (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,044 Times in 1,193 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

If you are going to go that route, then consider something of quality...I have one of these... Fein Multimaster.

I needed a tool like this for a job and didn't think I would use it much after that. I'm surprised how much I use it.

It's 5 times the price of a Dremel, but you have a Festool vacuum so you know why/when to spend more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paint and Hammer For This Useful Post:
JoseyWales (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #7

View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

There's no question that Fein makes a terrific tool, but I have the multimax and have found it to be more that adequate. I don't use it a great deal but when I need it, it always gets the job done. I think it's a great value considering the price and quality level.
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpminter For This Useful Post:
JoseyWales (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,008
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

Dremel is a cheap product. The flexible blade attachment you are thinking will drift on you if you are not careful. A rigid blade is better. Or something like this. http://shopping.yahoo.com/851915505-...blade-osc214c/

If it is soft a good utility knife and a pack of sharp blades to keep you going should work. Maybe even better. Trial and error for you I suppose.

Interior a utility knife and sandpaper is best imo. There are a couple of angled blades on a handle that are sold but haven't made time to test one of them yet.

Did you just guess at the time it would take to remove the old before doing all you did leading up to the actual start of the job? If it wasn't bid with removal and replacement in mind then I suppose you will have a better idea after this.

The benefit of removing old caulk v/s caulking over existing caulk is it gives you the advantage of being able to warranty against failing caulk without the risk of coming back again and again. Who knows what or how long the original caulk is going to last especially if it is already cracking. For houses with a lot of settling (coastal developements, sandy = lots of settling ) or a certain age on them it is a good service provision especially if you warranty it. If the HO realizes the potential to have failing caulk joints after only a short time and the disappointment it would bring after investing so much in new paint. Depends a lot on house location, age of home, ability to communicate this properly and HO budget.

How long would you warranty against joints becoming exposed due to failing caulk? Long enough that a HO would want to buy it? That would be a good thread actually I am curious what everyone would say to that and the caulk they would use.
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #9

Ok I spent the day removing caulking from every Exterior corner,every window and door frame with my new dremel tool...Even the whole damn chimney needed the caulking removed/replaced on both sides...That is a fantastic tool for removing caulking!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe how effortless the process was and how clean this thing removed the caulking....I rate it an A+

Paid $99 and used the flexible scraper attatchment..

Last edited by JoseyWales; 08-11-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,008
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

Surely you have pics for your portfolio? Share?
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
The Umbrella Corporation

Rewards Points: 25
View Scraper's Photo Album My Photos

Harbor freight has these multi-function tools for around $29.99. Have had one for about a year and use it ALOT. Love it!!! and somebody said the dremel tool was cheap. You can buy better brand blades/ attachments at box stores.

Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote