CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
tsevnami

View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rymar

Anyone use this stain? SW says they are going to start carrying it because people have been getting 4-6 years out of it. Even at $60 a gallon that would be worth it. Anyone have any experiences with it?

tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #2

View Painter Girl's Photo Album My Photos

I worked for a BM, Graham paint dealer for 13 years. We sold a ton of Rymar with the belief that it will last the longest out of any semi transparent stain for decking, hardwood etc.. When it first came out we were told by the manufacturer you could expect 5 years or more out of the product. Truthfully on vertical surfaces that's pretty close but on horizontal surfaces it is less.

I would realistically expect to get 2 years after following the recommended two coats application. One thing to note: Original Rymar calls for one coat and a second after 30 - 60 days. What a pain to have to go back and hope the site is still clean enough for the second coat.

I would use the Rymar extreme. It is a wet on wet application (two coats one time). Dries slowly in shady areas and on hardwoods so warn your customers to stay off the deck for a few days unless they like stain tracked in their houses. Stayed sticky on shady redwood benches for 3 days here in Michigan with a June application.

A benefit to the product is the even wear (no film thickness) so come recoat time there is no peeling to deal with.

In our market Rymar sells for close to $70 per gallon. Pretty steep...

Colors cannot be made. Factory ground only. Finer pigment particles in the premade colors for better penetration. About 18 colors. The clear is junk however. Works great for water repellency but will not stop graying from UV rays. You can use it to cut factory colors though if one seems too dark.

Another nice thing about Rymar, the chemist who developed it actually is the sales rep for it so he is very knowledgable about the product line.

New for the market is a Rymar waterborne with nano technology. It is supposed to be the best available. I have not used any of it yet though. (Hopefully it smells better than the oil formulas. They put citronella and inscecticide in them and it will smell for a long time like a skunk came to party and never left.)

Also according to the company, you can even use it on faded composite decking if the customer has had fading issues with the first composites made. Yes, I know it is supposed to be maintanence free but as painters we have to find lots of ways to make more $$$.

Works great on vertical cedar and log homes but will darken with each maintenance coat.

Watch out for batch variation with this product. If you don't check the batch numbers for what you pick up there can be a color difference. Otherwise box it and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps...

Painter Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Painter Girl For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (12-17-2011)
Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #3

View Painter Girl's Photo Album My Photos

Tsunami,

I wanted to ask what area you work in. I was under the impression Rymar was sold to independent dealers only. I guess SW qualifies. Just curious...
Painter Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
I like warm hugs!

Thanked 6,243 Times in 3,755 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos
Default Superdeck????

Since were on the topic. My supplier started caring superdeck
any body use or heard of it?
Sorry tsun never heard of that stuff here on the west cost
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Paint to fish

Thanked 3,764 Times in 2,081 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

One of my summer workers used Rymar on his deck. He had be doing the horizontal surfaces every other year and the vertical surfaces every 4 years. He since has moved and joined me in the ranks of those with patios and no deck.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
He since has moved and joined me in the ranks of those with patios and no deck.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
RCP

Thanked 4,544 Times in 2,909 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Gabe, you ever try the Superdeck? I have a log exterior to bid on.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #8

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

I have a deck I did over 2 yrs ago with Deckscapes from SW and it still looks GREAT. It was the solid waterborne stain. Might be worth looking into.
nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
RCP

Thanked 4,544 Times in 2,909 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Nate, I started a new thread, actually looking at an oil.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
conleypainting.net

View Conley's Photo Album My Photos

I have used the super deck (solid stain) on verticle surfaces and it was nice to use and cleaned up easy. It has been 3months so we'll see. It looks good now and seems to be happy

Conley is offline   Reply With Quote