Solid Core Doors... Finishing all 6 sides - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ridesarize
  • 1 Post By kmp

Old 12-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 148
View csbeepee's Photo Album My Photos
Default Solid Core Doors... Finishing all 6 sides

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way of finishing 8' solid core doors onsite without messing up my finish. I've thought of stacking them on top of each other to spray tops and bottoms, then what?

Standing them doesn't appeal to me either, cause I would need to set them on stickers to keep them off the floor, possibly damaging the finish there. This would also require putting nails into the top, or securing them with QuickTruss' system. The builder does not want holes in the top or bottom and I don't want to have to fill them with putty.

Maybe I answered my own question, but I'm looking for options.

Is stacking them the only way? I currently use 1x3's on top of 2x3's cut into 3" square blocks (Thank you Ridersize!). If I stack the doors, I'll need to cut blocks out of 4x4 posts or something. I wonder if 1x3's will be able to hold the weight of an 8' Solid Mahogany door???

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
csbeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 137
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Solid Core Doors... Finishing all 6 sides

Lay the doors on their side to finish the bottom first. You might want to use a clear coat or Breakthrough. Then stand the doors up and use Surestands to hold up pairs of doors and finish the tops and sides at the same time. This way you don't have to put any holes in the doors because the SureStands use the existing hinge mortise to help you hold up the doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Foampro-132-S.../dp/B00ATBPC5S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PNW Painter; 12-16-2016 at 12:52 AM..
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
cdpainting (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Why didn't I think of this? THANK YOU!

Old 12-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 768
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the shout out, Csbeepee. When you go to lay the doors down just remember to pad the surface that they rest on. For example if you were to put the door on edge on the floor to work on them or handle them. Put rags or towels, or clean cardboard on the floor. If you don't the heal of the door will get small dents, pits, etc. Especially if there is any tiny debris or sand there.

I would use pnwpainters advice, and do the top too so I wouldn't have to get on a ladder to shoot down on each door, (I put cardboard over tops of doors to stop the overspray from going over them onto the reverse sides or ceilings, too.) I prefer brushing a sealer into the grain for the tops and bottoms as opposed to spray. Either way may work though.

When the bottoms are dry and you set them up, possibly use a block that is thinner than the door so it won't damage the visible bottom edges of doors. I have grabbed mdf trim scrap and cut them at 1.25" wide so basically they don't stick out from under the door. Then if the doors leans one way while being set up or taken down it won't hurt anything. I use a finish nail gun to shoot those onto the bottoms but I see you don't want holes...
dirtyjeep01 likes this.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
View dirtyjeep01's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
Lay the doors on their side to finish the bottom first. You might want to use a clear coat or Breakthrough. Then stand the doors up and use Surestands to hold up pairs of doors and finish the tops and sides at the same time. This way you don't have to put any holes in the doors because the SureStands use the existing hinge mortise to help you hold up the doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Foampro-132-S.../dp/B00ATBPC5S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't use those for solid doors way too weak. Use wood at top of doors and stand them up. Watch too seal doors tops and bottoms and don't lean them on walls too long they will warp
dirtyjeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,144
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Because solid core doors are so heavy and a pain to move, we all know that the more you move them the more they are prone to damage. There used to be a tool made out of flexible metal with a small patch of roller cover on it that you can dip in sealer and seal the bottoms while they are hanging. You might have to slide some masking under it if flooring is down. Used to call them spoons. Couldn't find any the last time I needed one so I made one with a piece of thin metal with a piece of diy edger tool pad cut and glued to the metal. Needs to be 1" wide by 2" long. Beats moving heavy doors.
dirtyjeep01 likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Spray bombs with shellac
Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

What's a spray bomb? We got the doors done. Ended up looking great. Before we stood them up we stack them all on top of saw horses and put shims in between each one.
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Core Doors... Finishing all 6 sides-20161227_101432_1485186539287.jpg  

Old 02-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #9

What product did you use on those doors . Spray stain and pre cat lacquer ?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #10

SW HIGH Build Precat Lacquer, dull rubbed effect. No stain.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #11

What degree sheen
Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,426
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Looks like they came out good.

I like the QuickTruss system as I don't let the guys mess with hinges. It's prone to cause problems on install by removing the hinge from a pre-hung door typically, so we avoid it all together.

Once their stood up like you have pictured, spray the sides and the top. Then before you stack them in a pile or whatever you do when your done, get some saw horses and lay flat. We usually pad the saw horses with rags from the box to create a cushion and no mar surface. Then just weenie roll the finish on the bottom or spray. I prefer roll the bottom because sometimes with spray the over spray can create a rough finish on something that you previously had smooth.

Hope that makes sense. Lacquer dries fast so with a couple sets of saw horses should be able to knock out 3-4 doors at a time without issue.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #13

The way we did it we were able to stack all the doors on saw horses (horizontallynnie, all at once) with Shims in between them. We use those heavy duty metal saw horses from Home Depot. The pump was already filled with lacquer from shooting all the door casings so I just sprayed a couple coats on the bottom edge before we stood them up. The sure stands are made for 3-hole hinges so we were only able to get one screw in each door. It was a bit sketchy but it got the job done and we had zero issues. I'm looking for a metal version of the sure stands that work with large 4-hole hinges to replace these for our next set of solid core doors.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbeepee View Post
The way we did it we were able to stack all the doors on saw horses (horizontallynnie, all at once) with Shims in between them. We use those heavy duty metal saw horses from Home Depot. The pump was already filled with lacquer from shooting all the door casings so I just sprayed a couple coats on the bottom edge before we stood them up. The sure stands are made for 3-hole hinges so we were only able to get one screw in each door. It was a bit sketchy but it got the job done and we had zero issues. I'm looking for a metal version of the sure stands that work with large 4-hole hinges to replace these for our next set of solid core doors.
Should give this a shot, see how you like/dislike.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 768
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

^^ He didn't want any holes put into the tops of the doors though.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #16

I use those for low end production stuff. SW tells me they have a metal replacement for the Sure stands coming in. I'll let you know what I think of them.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
^^ He didn't want any holes put into the tops of the doors though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbeepee View Post
I use those for low end production stuff. SW tells me they have a metal replacement for the Sure stands coming in. I'll let you know what I think of them.
My bad. Didn't read that part or just forgot. Now it makes sense why you did the hinge connectors instead.