Some customers smh - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By AngieM
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By journeymanPainter

Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 674
Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Some customers smh

I'm in the middle of doing a basement in Vancouver that flooded. The customer is nuts, the insurance agent is tired of her, the restoration GC is done with her, then I get a text from my project manager, she doesn't like the stain that I put on her baseboards and window casings. I had her tell me 3 times what colour she wanted (she had 3 different types of stain going on). We went through it, she said okay, I took the sample to get matched, now I've stained, and applied a sanding sealer to approximately 300 linear feet of trim. Seriously people are you kidding me.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 104
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

I always get them to email or text me the final colors. If they would rather give it on paper they can write it out. Never take for granted that there could be a misunderstanding.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg View Post
I always get them to email or text me the final colors. If they would rather give it on paper they can write it out. Never take for granted that there could be a misunderstanding.
Typically that's what I do, but it was a stain match to existing wood. Next time, initial the wood

Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 148
View csbeepee's Photo Album My Photos

ALWAYS get approval before you start staining... Even if you're matching, your match might be "too light" for the customer.
csbeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 474
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah that sucks. Sometimes everything is communicated but between a stain match or variations in the application, or benite timing changed or something. Unexpected stuff happens even when you've eliminated 2 or 3 other potential issues. Gotta love it.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 34
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

This gets into psychology, but it's part of our job description right. I'd ask her what exactly it is she doesn't like about it. Find out the root cause of her dissatisfaction. Maybe it has nothing to do with the color. Maybe it's the lighting, maybe its her mood. Maybe it reminds her of her grandma she hated. Who knows. Then do whatever you can to reassure her she made a great choice. I always tell my clients that when it goes up, you'll never be able to differentiate a shade or two difference.

If she adamantly wants it changed, I would tell her I'll do my best to minimize the charge to start over. But if it's that critical, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you're happy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngieM For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-29-2016), ProWallGuy (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 10,840
Thanked 14,536 Times in 7,431 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Just tell her you'll need to have her sign a change of work order in which it stipulates your additional T&M costs. Betcha she'll suddenly decide she can live with the existing color.
abbottpainting likes this.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Just tell her you'll need to have her sign a change of work order in which it stipulates your additional T&M costs. Betcha she'll suddenly decide she can live with the existing color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
This gets into psychology, but it's part of our job description right. I'd ask her what exactly it is she doesn't like about it. Find out the root cause of her dissatisfaction. Maybe it has nothing to do with the color. Maybe it's the lighting, maybe its her mood. Maybe it reminds her of her grandma she hated. Who knows. Then do whatever you can to reassure her she made a great choice. I always tell my clients that when it goes up, you'll never be able to differentiate a shade or two difference.

If she adamantly wants it changed, I would tell her I'll do my best to minimize the charge to start over. But if it's that critical, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you're happy.

Thankfully, this rests on the shoulders of the GC. I'm just the applicator

AngieM likes this.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 206
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post

Angie is so right on this. To be honest, no matter what color of stain you put on, she would be unhappy. She falls into that somewhat rare category of "under their thumb" types. She simply enjoys the power of controlling someone AND their time. She knows it's causing you major discomfort and she relishes it. I'm guessing of course, but, I've had enough of these types over the years to "call it as I see it." What a major hassle as these type of jobs wreck a schedule for months.........
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
AngieM (12-01-2016), chrisn (11-30-2016), Wildbill7145 (11-30-2016)