Dangerous Stairs - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By jennifertemple
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple
  • 2 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 3 Post By Redux

Old 12-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 412
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dangerous Stairs

I think these must be the most dangerous stairs I ever saw!

Dangerous Stairs-danderous-stairs.jpg
Fman and Redux like this.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,482
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
I think these must be the most dangerous stairs I ever saw!

Attachment 105601
Yep- NO RAILINGS!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 412
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
Yep- NO RAILINGS!
Wait until you are trying to navigate them while UI with no railings!
Gymschu likes this.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 5,912
Thanked 15,438 Times in 8,106 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Somebody who was too clever regarding design and too stupid regarding practicality/common sense/safety.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 371
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Reminds me of my stairs down to my basement. I kind of like those because its the only way you could make wider steps for such a steep pitch. Mine are just single steps, but double black diamond into the abyss! Trying to go down with full laundry basket is the worst!
Redux likes this.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 5,912
Thanked 15,438 Times in 8,106 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

The stairs in our house are just regular ones - but that’s what they look like when I try to go down them after one too many.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 362
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

The person who built that clearly didn’t pull a permit and had no knowledge or concern for building codes and/or safety. I certainly hope the homeowners don’t have children.

One dangerous stairway I encountered was in the 1666 Alexander Standish house which my family lived in for a number of years. Alexander was the son of the Mayflower Pilgrim, Captain Myles Standish. The stairs to the 2nd floor had less than a 4 ft run for an 8 ft rise, also having a rope for a handrail. It was like climbing a step ladder, having to almost pull yourself up using the rope.

Aside from that, I can’t say I’ve ever seen or worked on an unsafe stairway or encountered one that wasn’t built to code. I did however have a close encounter of the third kind involving a set of stairs.

Although a bit off the safety topic, the close encounter of the third kind involved walking down a flight of stairs in one of former media mogul Robert FX Sillerman’s homes. The stairs led into what was a knock-off of a 70’s/80’s discotheque/dance club. When walking down the stairs the first time, I wasn’t aware that there were pressure sensitive actuators incorporated into the stair treads which would cause different lighting and sound FX to turn on at each given step. Each stair tread when stepped on would produce a different musical note along with a different lighting effect. I didn’t quite get it until walking down the first 5 treads, the notes being composer’s John William’s theme from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”. Just when I thought the fun was over after walking down the stairs, I accidentally stepped onto what was the keyboard from the movie “Big” which was on the dance floor. When no one was looking I couldn’t resist giving chopsticks a go..

Last edited by Redux; 12-16-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,482
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
The person who built that clearly didn’t pull a permit and had no knowledge or concern for building codes and/or safety. I certainly hope the homeowners don’t have children.

One dangerous stairway I encountered was in the 1666 Alexander Standish house which my family lived in for a number of years. Alexander was the son of the Mayflower Pilgrim, Captain Myles Standish. The stairs to the 2nd floor had less than a 4 ft run for an 8 ft rise, also having a rope for a handrail. It was like climbing a step ladder, having to almost pull yourself up using the rope.

Aside from that, I can’t say I’ve ever seen or worked on an unsafe stairway or encountered one that wasn’t built to code. I did however have a close encounter of the third kind involving a set of stairs.

Although a bit off the safety topic, the close encounter of the third kind involved walking down a flight of stairs in one of former media mogul Robert FX Sillerman’s homes. The stairs led into what was a knock-off of a 70’s/80’s discotheque/dance club. When walking down the stairs the first time, I wasn’t aware that there were pressure sensitive actuators incorporated into the stair treads which would cause different lighting and sound FX to turn on at each given step. Each stair tread when stepped on would produce a different musical note along with a different lighting effect. I didn’t quite get it until walking down the first 5 treads, the notes being composer’s John William’s theme from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”. Just when I thought the fun was over after walking down the stairs, I accidentally stepped onto what was the keyboard from the movie “Big” which was on the dance floor. When no one was looking I couldn’t resist giving chopsticks a go..
I happened upon the "Big" keyboard once! I didn't step on it to play though. I play piano by ear.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 770
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Steep pitched stairways are common in old houses in the NE, especially in a "butlers" secondary stairway. I never saw one where the treads didn't span the entire width.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None