Fire Sprinklers and Painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Old 09-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 80
View SunHouseProperties's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Fire Sprinklers and Painting

OK I was spraying out ceilings. . I instructed prep guy once and asked for a final check before spraying began. AND finally and most importantly I DIDN'T do a final check to make sure all masking and covers were TIGHT!! I sprayed over the heads of the fire sprinklers and some onto the mercury bulb. CODE inspector came in the next morning and ordered all to be replaced (1500$ for 3 replacements) WOW !! I've been masking just fine to this point never had problems BUT in this case I became complacent and unprofessional by not doing a final check MYSELF. C%^VFYJONPMK yeah that's about how I feel. MESSAGE " foreman is the pro - should do final checks on his guys or train them properly . Fire sprinkler heads should be covered perfectly for them to function properly.!!"
SunHouseProperties is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 24
View racx's Photo Album My Photos

Hey I know the cost of those things also. Another paint crew was on the job (new build) and we where called in specifically to dryfall the ceiling. We wrapped everything with tinfoil dryfalled and had the super sign off. About 2 weeks later I get a phone call that I'm being back charged for sprinkler heads. I said there is no way your super looked and signed off on our scope. They sent me pictures and I noticed immediately it was the wall color. Responded to the email stating that and next week check in full. Anyway point is I would of lost some serious chip that's how I know they are expensive.
racx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunHouseProperties View Post
OK I was spraying out ceilings. . I instructed prep guy once and asked for a final check before spraying began. AND finally and most importantly I DIDN'T do a final check to make sure all masking and covers were TIGHT!! I sprayed over the heads of the fire sprinklers and some onto the mercury bulb. CODE inspector came in the next morning and ordered all to be replaced (1500$ for 3 replacements) WOW !! I've been masking just fine to this point never had problems BUT in this case I became complacent and unprofessional by not doing a final check MYSELF. C%^VFYJONPMK yeah that's about how I feel. MESSAGE " foreman is the pro - should do final checks on his guys or train them properly . Fire sprinkler heads should be covered perfectly for them to function properly.!!"
$1500 is cheap. When I was at the convention centre they charged $2000 for one (granted it was 40 feet in the air). That's still cheap though.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know that it is the head so much as the labor
The whole system has gotta get drained now. Refilled. Checked. One head would incur that expense.
A sprinkler fitter. It's a $60 something a hour job my way. You know. In ur pay check. So what is the contractor charging?
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Gracobucks (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We did a job were the sprinkler heads were covered in paint. I took pics and video sent to the GC. This is if some of you remember that wanted to fight me. I said first off the color is not one we used, second you have pics and video day and time stamped from me. Losts of bickering back and forth and a refusal to pay us. I made 1 phone call and the next day got our check.

I love having family in power. My uncle at the time was a state fire inspector so I called him. He made sure the job needed all kinds of other work before it could be signed off.

We got our check so i called my uncle and he let them go forward with the rest of their job.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

The only thing I do have to say, and we did approximately 160k sqft worth of dryfalling ceilings this year is how is it the GC caught this besides any of the crew? I mean 3 isn't bad I know they get scattered in certain buildings but you have someone looking at them at least 3 times. Mask, paint, and unmask.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
$1500 is cheap. When I was at the convention centre they charged $2000 for one (granted it was 40 feet in the air). That's still cheap though.
Wow..Lol
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
The whole system has gotta get drained now. Refilled. Checked. One head would incur that expense.
A sprinkler fitter. It's a $60 something a hour job my way. You know. In ur pay check. So what is the contractor charging?
You're right. I was talking to the sprinkler guys in Edmonton, Alberta. They claim the head is only worth $35. They say it the time to drain the line and go to every one that needs to be changed the costs all the money.
Gracobucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 80
View SunHouseProperties's Photo Album My Photos
Smile DUST still settling

Quote:
I would not have been hurt by the the 1500 estimate to replace these fittings IF it were not for the fact that I gave a low price on the job and well ,, I also gave extra hours to the crew and left myself just jolly !! all respect to the rate I juuuuust >>> GAG
SunHouseProperties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 18
View Seth The Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I'm wondering if insurance would cover that? Maybe premium would go up if they did but it might be worth checking out.
Seth The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth The Painter View Post
I'm wondering if insurance would cover that? Maybe premium would go up if they did but it might be worth checking out.
I did check and our Ins would cover it BUT the rates would go up. Some INS wont cover it, some it's like an add on to your policy. We also have all kinds of stuff added to our policy just incase.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #12

If you do dust one or more. And if u don't know it. And you want to clean it. Be very very careful. They pop easy, and when they do? Whoa a lotta water is gonna come a lotta quick. Not worth it IMO to even try.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
I did check and our Ins would cover it BUT the rates would go up. Some INS wont cover it, some it's like an add on to your policy. We also have all kinds of stuff added to our policy just incase.
Oh ok was just tryna help out.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth The Painter View Post
Oh ok was just tryna help out.
For my situation I was all set. The OP not so much.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

It's one of those things. I always do the taping of all of my sprinklers myself. It's partially because of my ocd. This way I know it's been done properly. He will have to just take it as a life lesson and move on. Like they say you can't cry over spilled milk.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth The Painter
It's one of those things. I always do the taping of all of my sprinklers myself. It's partially because of my ocd. This way I know it's been done properly. He will have to just take it as a life lesson and move on. Like they say you can't cry over spilled milk.
Tell me it's a typo, ur not taping ur heads. Just lately all the new guys around. And they are taping heads? Crazy. So ineffecient both to put on and then to get off.
Tin foil sheets, is the only thing to use on heads, easy on easy off.
If ur not, never did? Try it. You will like
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Gracobucks (09-26-2015), Gwarel (09-25-2015), journeymanPainter (09-26-2015), racx (09-25-2015), SunHouseProperties (09-30-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Tell me it's a typo, ur not taping ur heads. Just lately all the new guys around. And they are taping heads? Crazy. So ineffecient both to put on and then to get off.
Tin foil sheets, is the only thing to use on heads, easy on easy off.
If ur not, never did? Try it. You will like
Of course Oden I meant tin foiling. Used to saying taping. Thanks for noticing.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #18
misha

Rewards Points: 56
View mukhoeb's Photo Album My Photos

I've always taped plastic drink cups to the sprinklers - worked perfect .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've come here with nothing and still have a lot of it left .
Wash D.C AREA
mukhoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukhoeb View Post
I've always taped plastic drink cups to the sprinklers - worked perfect .
You dont paint commercial do you. Stay res and when in doubt dont post cause thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

We do a ton of commercial and we paper and tape sprinkler heads. Tin foil is great until you blow it off with the sprayer. We paint parking garages that can have a hundred or more heads on a single floor. Got to be sure they don't get paint on them.

Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
codes, fire, fire sprinkler, sprinklers