Hydro wires - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Brushman4

Old 06-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 772
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hydro wires

Hey Yall been a while.

I was helping out a friend that didn't know much but has so much gumption and enthuiasm that I couldnt not help.

They did everything that they could and needed me to finish off the hard parts. They rented a 32' skyjack. There was a bunch of hydro wires around the building. One part I was cm away from the wires. One part I had to push a hydro wire out of the way. I used cardboard to touch the wire. It was freaky the moment I touched the Hydro wire with the cardboard I felt the energy and the vibrations didnt hurt but was scary.

I have been close to wires before but I dont think I have ever touched them. I do remeber once a long time ago driving a skyjack close to wires and maybe the skyjack touching it.

On my jobs I usually try my best to be safe but getting them covered by the hydro company is a huge cost. Obviously not worth the cost of injury.

The hydro company says to be this far away

Know safe limits:

• 750 to 150,000 volts - 3 metres
  • 150,001 to 250,000 volts - 4.5 metres
  • 250,001+ volts - 6 metres
I'm guessing the one I touched was either one of the first two they werent the huge generator wires. Honestly though 3 metres is practically at the ground. If this was followed exactly every god darn painting job would require the wires to be covered. How does this make sense.

Anybody else have any experience with this?

When I was in London England I noticed there was no hydro wires in the air they were all buried. God that would be so cool I dislike hydro wires all over the place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 12:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,980
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason123 View Post
Hey Yall been a while.

I was helping out a friend that didn't know much but has so much gumption and enthuiasm that I couldnt not help.

They did everything that they could and needed me to finish off the hard parts. They rented a 32' skyjack. There was a bunch of hydro wires around the building. One part I was cm away from the wires. One part I had to push a hydro wire out of the way. I used cardboard to touch the wire. It was freaky the moment I touched the Hydro wire with the cardboard I felt the energy and the vibrations didnt hurt but was scary.

I have been close to wires before but I dont think I have ever touched them. I do remeber once a long time ago driving a skyjack close to wires and maybe the skyjack touching it.

On my jobs I usually try my best to be safe but getting them covered by the hydro company is a huge cost. Obviously not worth the cost of injury.

The hydro company says to be this far away

Know safe limits:

• 750 to 150,000 volts - 3 metres
  • 150,001 to 250,000 volts - 4.5 metres
  • 250,001+ volts - 6 metres
I'm guessing the one I touched was either one of the first two they werent the huge generator wires. Honestly though 3 metres is practically at the ground. If this was followed exactly every god darn painting job would require the wires to be covered. How does this make sense.

Anybody else have any experience with this?

When I was in London England I noticed there was no hydro wires in the air they were all buried. God that would be so cool I dislike hydro wires all over the place.
I agree with you, painting outside should not be a life and death situation
when you get to the area of a building where the power comes in, having said that I don't think the power companies give a $hit.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,674
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Hydro wires, never heard them referred to as that, must be a Canada thing. One time while on a ladder painting adjacent to the electric service point of the building, I felt the hairs of my arm stand on end and a tingling sensation. This occurred when my arm got to within a few inches of the service point. The insulation had weathered away to about nothing. Called the utility and they came out and replaced the wires. That's about as close to getting fried I ever came. Stay alert and use care.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 710
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

I was working on job to help a friend out this week and he was painting the exterior while I did some finish work inside. The power supply wires were connected to the section he needed to paint and he asked my advice. I told him to have the owner call the power company, which he did. They came out and shut off the power for him to complete his work, then came back about an hour later and turned it back on. Safety first my friends......
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,980
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarel View Post
I was working on job to help a friend out this week and he was painting the exterior while I did some finish work inside. The power supply wires were connected to the section he needed to paint and he asked my advice. I told him to have the owner call the power company, which he did. They came out and shut off the power for him to complete his work, then came back about an hour later and turned it back on. Safety first my friends......
I'm don't know what state you're from, but in the Chicago metropolitan area you would need to give ComEd at least a week or more notice and I'm sure they would have a standard charge to do that!
jason123 and Fman like this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
I'm don't know what state you're from, but in the Chicago metropolitan area you would need to give ComEd at least a week or more notice and I'm sure they would have a standard charge to do that!
Well I'd let the HO pay for it, and a week later I wouldn't be dead. I'm in TN
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #7

I'm just going to add that I've painted around the connections many times, but if it looks dangerous then it probably is......

Tags
None