Occupational exposure to water based paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By jennifertemple
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By Fman
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter

Old 09-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 192
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default Occupational exposure to water based paint

FYI: Occupational exposure to water based paint : symptoms from the skin and eyes

Water based paints contain organic solvents and many additives, such as biocides, surfactants, pigments, binders, amines, and monomers. The chemical complexity may introduce new potential health hazards to house painters, in particular irritative and allergic disorders. This study was performed to compare how house painters experience work with water based paints or solvent based paints, and to evaluate whether exposure to water based paints increases mucous membrane and dermal symptoms among house painters. 255 male house painters aged 20 to 65 were invited to participate in the study. Controls were two industrial populations, in total 302 men, without exposure to water based paints. Self administered questionnaires were used to assess the painter's experiences of working with different types of paints and the occurrence of symptoms in the exposed and unexposed groups. Hygiene measurements were performed during normal working days when only water based paints and no solvent based paints were used. The painters were exposed to low concentrations of dust, metals, ammonia, formaldehyde, and volatile organic compounds. The work environment was considered better when working with water based paints than with solvent based paints. There were more complaints of frequent urination when working with water based paint. Taste or olfactory disturbances were less common. General as well as work related eye and skin irritation was more common among the exposed workers. For other symptoms no significant differences were found. The study indicates that the introduction of water based paints has improved the work environment for house painters. Water based paints cause less discomfort and airway irritation than the earlier solvent based paints. Adverse general health effects seem low. Some of the painters may have dermal symptoms caused by the components in water based paints.
Delta Painting and Fman like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jennifertemple For This Useful Post:
curiouspainter (10-13-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18
View curiouspainter's Photo Album My Photos

"You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."

---Love that quote! I feel that!
curiouspainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18
View curiouspainter's Photo Album My Photos

"You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."

---Love that quote! I feel that!
curiouspainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,276
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

I know one guy I worked with who at one time sprayed thousands of new construction units, when I knew him he was in his mid-fifties and was diagnosed with brain cancer most likely caused by latex (water-based) paint. It's a shame he was a really nice guy and died two years later!
Delta Painting likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,300
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

One old guy I worked with said that it was common back in the day to clean up with gasoline because it was cheaper than thinner. Yikes.
Lightningboy65 likes this.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,440
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The typical North American diet is likely more dangerous to ones health than the chemicals found in paint. Particular if measures are taken to prevent excessive chemical exposure. Like wearing the proper PPE for example.

But when you have people willing to suck smoke and vapor into their lungs, saturate themselves with alcohol, stuff their gullets with "goodies!" and tear into charred animal flesh when ever possible, all in the interest of entertainment, convenience, and life style choice, it's difficult to feel the impact of the industry warnings. Although the reminder is always a good thing.
Lightningboy65 likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 92
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

I would be less worried about dermal symptoms and more concern about silicosis. Probably one of the greatest dangers to pro painters. WEAR A RESPIRATOR! The best you can find. Always!
CApainter likes this.
Lightningboy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

It doesnít take a genius to figure that water based paints should cause less bodily harm than solvent based paints.

Itís too bad that a lot of painters still donít use respirators. A few years back I started wearing a full face respirator and I feel like it makes a noticeable when Iím spraying. Itís also great for doing demo work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Smith likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None