Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Threw my back out yesterday

13K views 66 replies 28 participants last post by  Fictitious Character 
#1 · (Edited)
I threw my back out yesterday, I have been really busy banging out exteriors and was on a ladder with a chainsaw to trim a thirty ft crape myrtle to get it off the house and then when I bent over to get my rag wet and out it went. the first time I tweaked my back was in 2000 and every now and again it will tweak on me. I laid out today buzzed on pain pills and am wondering how long before I am back on my feet literally.
So my message is to keep your back and knees in your mind so that you are not laid up during the peak season.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear man....now tell us what REALLY happened.......your story just doesnt add up. A thirty foot tree trim? That means you would need at least a 40' ladder which we all know you dont own....and what did you need a rag for while trimming trees with a chainsaw?

I think you were on the crapper surfing PT, dropped your phone while reaching for the TP, the phone went behind the toilet, and you.....trying to be the hero....reached for the phone behind the toilet, while still sitting, tweaking your back. Now thats more believable.

#6 ·
Oh it hurts to laugh.

Can't get nothing by you. The rumor is that I am a spam bot.

I was only using a 32 so I could get it off the house and resume with caulking it up. The first time I tweaked it I was boxing five's ever since then it is always some little thing that jambs it up. I hope to be hobbling around tomorrow being more of a burden than a help to the other guys.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear it Sean. I'm no stranger to back problems myself and know how difficult it can make your life. I am not a big believer in chiropractors but the wife convinced me to go last time I couldn't move and it did sooth it a little. My guy is not a pop and crack kind of guy, he uses muscle stimulation and ultra sound with heat. I think it shortened my down time. Have you ever had an MRI? It's good to have one just so you know what you are dealing with. I had one about 10 years ago and it revealed a couple of herniations and several bulges, even an old compression fracture. This profession takes it's toll. Feel better soon.

#17 ·
Two years ago, had my back go out. It freaking sucked. I have disk degeneration in a few lower one's. I was replacing a fuel pump on my van and everything seemed ok until the next day. Bam was out for a month. Was just about to get one of those shots in the back from the doc when it started feeling better. So never went through with it. It was not fun, I could not even put on my shoes.

I'm good to go, increased my ab strength by drinking more beer. I just have to remember to use my legs when lifting and I should be ok.

Pat

#23 ·
Two words:

Bourbon Therapy

I've had serious back issues three times now, I mean SERIOUS. Out of commission with severe sciatic four to six MONTHS. Couldn't stand up for more than two seconds (I counted) without the feeling of of a red hot sword trying to poke its way OUT of mt butt cheek. And the longer I stood, the worse it got.

Chiro helped first time. After that he gave up (he's the Patriots' chiro - prolly knows what he's doing)

Drugs made me wacky (ok, wack-IER)

You have my full empathy.

Ibuprofen and cold packs will help the inflammation. Heat will help loosen the muscles. If it's only muscle issues at this point, try ice - heat - ice - heat - ice etc etc.

Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine) might help, do it with ibuprofen and your brain will leave you.

Once the muscles have healed, keep them supple with stretching exercises.

Your getting old my friend, and this business is not one for neglected backs

#24 ·
It's all in your mind Sean...okay, maybe a little in your back too. Mine's usually good for going out a couple times a year, and then I have to do that old peoples shuffle, half-bent over, and groaning the whole time. Now it takes about a week to get over. Tylenol was/is about all I can take for it anymore.

#31 · (Edited)
Workaholic,

I recently did damage to my back. I shouldn't devuldge this but, I was doing flips in one of those kiddy blow up houses at a party. I've always been careful of my back and was surprised at the amount of damage I did doing something so stupid. I mean really, I'm 51 years old! My back is a major asset to my career and I can't afford for it to be anything less then ready to perform.

Anyway, I learned at my HMO's back class, that we all have degenerative disk disease beginning at age 25 or so, and our level of activity and physicality determines the degree of damage.

At this point, all you can do is manage the damage and be conscientious about how you lift things. Try to counter balance yourself to take the load off your back. Standing is better then sitting and is considered the best way to unload your back along with lying down flat. Stretch mildly and you'll be fine in a month or two with maybe a little aggravation. Remember, the Ibuprophine takes a week just to saturate the system.

I'm about back to normal but very cautious. Good Luck

#33 ·
Remember, the Ibuprophine takes a week just to saturate the system.
I know this is what the medical experts say, but I feel the effects much quicker.

In 1982 I was rear ended and had a good whip lashing. The physical therapist said that Ibuprofen would take a few days to reduce the swelling, I noticed it withing six hours. I think my system is just different than what the medical profession considers "average"

Word of caution about Vitamin I, besides gastronomical issues, it can cause hearing problems. I attribute my ear ringing and tinnitus as a result of the amount of Vitamin I I take to keep me mobile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.