How do you deal with homeowner pets on the job? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Featured Articles

Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By RH
  • 3 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 3 Post By DeanV
  • 2 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Cricket
  • 3 Post By deadend

Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,003
Thanked 2,583 Times in 1,082 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Default How do you deal with homeowner pets on the job?

How do you deal with homeowner pets on the job?-dealingwithpets-lge.jpg

Quote:
Nobody wants to hurt a client’s feelings by insisting they remove their beloved pet from the house during a painting job, but there are some very compelling safety reasons to insist pets be confined or removed from your workspace. Building a clause about homeowner pets into your contract is the easiest, simplest way to ensure you don’t have a hazard running underfoot or a liability on your hands if the worst-case scenario comes to pass while you’re completing a job in a client’s home. Dealing with Homeowner Pets on the Job
How do you deal with homeowner pets on the job?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 5,666
Thanked 15,406 Times in 8,081 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Depends on the pets. I’m a dog and cat guy so I don’t necessarily mind having them around, in fact, I sort of like the company.

Most cats tend to avoid the painting area but I have had some that want to be close by or even climb my step ladder. Not a problem as long as any open paint is out of the way.

A calm dog is a non-issue. They will typically mosey in to investigate then disappear to sleep for the day. However, a hyper one, or a youngster, can be a disaster waiting to happen. Typically, the owner is aware of their dog’s temperament and will take steps to secure them if it might be an issue.

The worst scenario, IMO, is any pet that might be inclined to pee on my drops. I always make sure I have my drops folded and off the floor overnight if I have any doubts about the bathroom habits of the resident dogs or cats.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 05-15-2019 at 03:41 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,110
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,481 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I don't like cats being near where I'm working. They've peed on my stuff in the past. Generally I try and trick them or chase them into a room and close the door. Dogs I'm fine with as long as they don't get under my feet. If they do, swirl up a drop into a doughnut and instant stinky dog bed. They seem to love it because it's never failed. They get to supervise and I get to talk to someone who never talks back.
CApainter, SemiproJohn and Holland like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

We had one job where the dogs kept peeing on our drops. Small dogs at least, but super annoying. We usually just put up with it and move the drops into the exterior drop cloth pile. Thankfully, just a problem on one job so far.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,514
Thanked 9,575 Times in 5,436 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Make sure you don't make any disparaging remarks about the homeowner around a pet Parrot? That's all I got.
Fman and jennifertemple like this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,003
Thanked 2,583 Times in 1,082 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos

Am I the only one who kind of wishes that was my dog?
jennifertemple likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View deadend's Photo Album My Photos

...you greet them properly like an adult...How do you deal with homeowner pets on the job?-20180813_083205_1558048095849.jpg
deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 308
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

I like dogs. I have never had one cause me issues on a job site but a cat once bit me and gave me a serious infection. When it started to swell up I went to the hospital. The doc at emergency said it was a good thing I went in right away because if I'd waited until morning I'd have been admitted and promptly on an IV for about a week. When I got the bite, I pulled my hand away to quickly, without looking and knocked over a bunch of antique medicine jars. They fell on a granite counter. HO said "We're even! My cat bit you and you broke my medicine jars. Lets call it square." I was OK with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None