How do you determine if a potential employee is a good fit? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Featured Articles

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Cricket
  • 1 Post By Holland
  • 1 Post By Cricket
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By Fman
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 3 Post By Mr Smith

Old 04-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,005
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,083 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Default How do you determine if a potential employee is a good fit?

How do you determine if a potential employee is a good fit?-howtointerview-lge.jpg

Quote:
Some people reveal personality traits in an interview that may indicate they are or aren’t a good fit for your company. For example, a prospect who looks horrible on paper may exhibit a can-do attitude with a willingness to learn and work hard to make up for a lack of experience. An experienced prospect who looks perfect on paper may reveal a surly and sour attitude that would make working with them the most unappealing idea in the world. How to Use an Interview to Determine if a Potential Employee is a Good Fit
How do you determine if a potential employee is a good fit for your company? Are there certain questions that you ask to help with this?
Holland likes this.
Holland (04-16-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 752
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Trial day, cash pay, is my way.

Good Article @ Cricket. You write well, and offer many good tips for pros.

“Interviewing a potential employee can feel like a high stakes endeavor – as it should. You’re trusting this virtual stranger to do good work and represent your company well. Choose wrong and at best, you’ll need to let them go and interview others.”
jennifertemple likes this.

Last edited by Holland; 04-16-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Holland For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,005
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,083 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
Trial day, cash pay, is my way.

Good Article @ Cricket. You write well, and offer many good tips for pros.

“Interviewing a potential employee can feel like a high stakes endeavor – as it should. You’re trusting this virtual stranger to do good work and represent your company well. Choose wrong and at best, you’ll need to let them go and interview others.”
We have a writing team. I don't write the articles.
Holland likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 4,709 Times in 3,176 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
We have a writing team. I don't write the articles.
Well they do a good job considering they are paid in bacon.
Holland likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,368
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Well they do a good job considering they are paid in bacon.
Is it "center cut"?
SemiproJohn likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,380
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

I remember some old-timers at one company kicking around the idea that every new hire should have to paint a door and frame and be judged on speed and quality. Interesting... But, I asked those fellas if they'd submit to such a test. Of course not! Not them! Just everybody else. A few years later at a different company my boss pulled that on a guy (it was not company policy) and the guy freaked out. He was a tall, freaky looking dude and my boss was obviously trying to run him off based on lookism. The guy righteously complained that he hadn't had to "pass Painting 101 in like 30 years" and I kinda felt bad for him even though I didn't want the guy on my crew! You can usually tell in the first ten minutes of work if a guy knows what he's doing so, I like the one day trial thing.
jennifertemple likes this.
jennifertemple (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,598
Thanked 9,580 Times in 5,440 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The hiring process can be as sophisticated as it needs to be, or as simple as an employer wants it to be.

Higher level skilled painters generally are looking for longer term to permanent employment, along with a wage and benefit package that matches their skill set. If a painting contractor can't demonstrate sustainability, there's no value in applying. Announcements for these positions should include a written test, a practical test, and an oral exam. The oral exam should have a rating system that can be measured among several candidates.

If a painting contractor knows they resemble more of a temporary means of employment for painters, but realize the potential to grow with the right people, they should draw from a mid range pool of applicants with the goal of developing them. Applicant requirements would include promptness. License and vehicle. their own tools. Appropriate clothing. And a short probationary period to demonstrate their work ethics and skill sets. No testing required.

If a painting contractor just wants bodies to get them through an unpredictable work load period, just about anyone available would do. But friends, acquaintances, and family are probably safer to draw from. Just make sure the safe is locked and you have a robust insurance policy. Maybe a temp agency would be better suited for the latter.
Mr Smith likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,840
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
I remember some old-timers at one company kicking around the idea that every new hire should have to paint a door and frame and be judged on speed and quality. Interesting... But, I asked those fellas if they'd submit to such a test. Of course not! Not them! Just everybody else. A few years later at a different company my boss pulled that on a guy (it was not company policy) and the guy freaked out. He was a tall, freaky looking dude and my boss was obviously trying to run him off based on lookism. The guy righteously complained that he hadn't had to "pass Painting 101 in like 30 years" and I kinda felt bad for him even though I didn't want the guy on my crew! You can usually tell in the first ten minutes of work if a guy knows what he's doing so, I like the one day trial thing.
Interesting. I might extend that to 3 days.

It's the little habits that really tick me off like going for a smoke every hour, talking on a cell phone while supposedly working, or leaving paint trays exposed to the air when on lunch break.---- or leaving a company paint brush sitting on a paint can for an hour. These are painting 101 things that 15 year vets shouldn't do and it's not acceptable to me.

Being critical of a pro painter with years of experience makes both me and the painter miserable. They have pride but yet act very unprofessional.

I think it might be better to hire a younger person with high character and a willingness to learn and be great!
CApainter, Fman and SemiproJohn like this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 05-05-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None