What’s the worst color you’ve been asked to use on a home? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Featured Articles

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By Repaint Florida
  • 1 Post By Joe67
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple

Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,011
Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,085 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Default What’s the worst color you’ve been asked to use on a home?

-intervenecolor.jpg

Quote:
You’ve probably been asked at least once to paint a home a color that made you cringe or took you back to your grandma’s house that wasn’t updated after 1945. Some people either don’t test sample colors or simply have a unique perspective on what colors go together.

Some colors look different depending on existing elements in the room, like the trim or carpet color, so what a customer loved in their friend’s home might not look great in their kitchen. When you’re asked to paint a room a color you know will look bad when it’s done, what should you do? Should You Intervene with Paint Colors?
When you’re asked to paint a room a color you know will look bad when it’s done, what should you do?

What’s the worst color you’ve been asked to use on a home?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,090
Thanked 15,560 Times in 8,204 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Only doing interiors, some “ dramatic” colors are often chosen, especially for kids’ rooms. I can’t recall any truly terrible color choices. Once did a guy’s home office in a really intense orange, but that’s one of the main colors of a nearby state college, and he was a big fan, so it made sense.
Once was doing a big job where the chosen main color was an off white with slight pink cast called “Bunny Cake”. Every time I went in to my supplier to order more and had to say the name, the guys behind the counter would give me a hard time. I was glad when that job was over.
monarchski likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,282
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

I did a lot of work for a woman whose son was a friend of mine and I was doing things there every year or so.
Her daughter was about 26 when she finally decided to move out on her own and the lady called me to paint the daughter's old bedroom.
I went over there and she had a Wedgewood blue already picked out, she said that was the color of the hotel room she and her husband used to stay in when they made their yearly trip in the springtime to the North Carolina coast.
She said it had a large crown molding, high baseboards all in cherry, along with antique cherry furniture. I tried pointing out that this room didn't have the same type of furniture, didn't have any crown, had three-inch ranch trim and it wouldn't look like the hotel room.
She insisted that was what she wanted, so I painted it the blue and when I finished I told her to take a look. We walked into the room and she all of a sudden had this unpleasant look on her face and I never worked or heard from her again.
So I guess that she blamed me for pointing out that the room didn't have the accouterments of the hotel room.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
Troy

Rewards Points: 152
Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,144 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

I'll verify that paint samples have been put up so they'd have a better grasp as to the final outcome. Beyond that, it's entirely situational. Folks who ask for suggestions or feedback will get it. There's a handful of beige-taupe colors that actually give off a pinkish hue, so I'll inform people of that to make sure they're into that sorta thing. Most of the older crowd chooses a color which they've used in the past, so you've got to be tactful. I once painted an older ladies home the same color her late husband always painted it...Lobster red on the bottom half and pink on the upper. Had I even questioned the color scheme initially I'm sure I would've been given the boot. She was absolutely tickled when we finished. Despite her elation, I opted not to include it in my before & after portfolio.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 968
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

I couldn't say it's the worst or even such a terrible color. It was just somewhat recent, and the thing that made it terrible is that it was a small kitchen with relatively low ceilings (7' ish). And she wanted all of it done in that color - ceiling, walls, trim. And it's actually a little greener than it appears on my screen. So when it was done, it felt a little like standing in a pot of pea soup.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...?color=CSP-770
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 342
Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,016 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

6 years ago we painted complete home including wall, doors, base, crown everything but ceilings flat black on a 3 bedroom ... even the closet, he loved it but called last year wanting to sell and needed it all repainted in white $$$$$$
Brushman4 likes this.
Orlando, Fl 32837
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 968
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
6 years ago we painted complete home including wall, doors, base, crown everything but ceilings flat black on a 3 bedroom ... even the closet, he loved it but called last year wanting to sell and needed it all repainted in white $$$$$$

Did he maybe look a little like Rob Zombie?
monarchski likes this.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,282
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, the joke was on him.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10
View PaintShopTillamook's Photo Album My Photos

I sold a contractor 20 gallons of a lime green paint designed to match sticky note green. A lady was going to paint her house this color, then paint her foundation a chocolate brown with regal blue shutters.

I also had a lady last week request 2 gallons of flat black paint for her bathroom. Eeegh.
PaintShopTillamook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 824
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Bright Pink & Chartreuse in the same room! If Ho wants something hideous I offer my services as an artist/ colour consultant. If they refuse, I say, sure, you can do that but you'll need another company to do the work because I can't have my name on it. that tends to make them think. Most often they allow me to advise them.
Redux likes this.

jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #11
RH

Rewards Points: 7,090
Thanked 15,560 Times in 8,204 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I never turned down a job based on color choices. If they asked, I would give them my honest opinion with the proviso that I wasn’t going to have to live with it. If they didn’t ask, I didn’t volunteer any opinion. Sometimes, you just don’t know how it’s going to work until it’s on the walls and I ended up redoing a room or two (on their dime) over the years.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 824
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I never turned down a job based on color choices.
My entire advertising plan was referral only. It does not matter that I do not pick the colours, if it looks like heck there is no way I'll get a call from anyone that sees it. I great colour consult can work out to many more, spin off jobs. So, I never, once, agreed to do a job I thought would look bad.

jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 784
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Topping the worst color list was a stuccoed modern beach house that the client wanted painted flamingo pink, combined with garish aqua-marine greens/blues & purple colors on architectural steel accents scattered all over the property. The building inspector stopped by the project my first week into finish, telling me that it wasn’t Miami Beach, the colors being in violation of village ordinances, and placed a stop work order pending village approval. After the flamingo pink color was disapproved, we ended up changing the color after having purchased all the pink paint.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:13 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 42
View hasnazameer's Photo Album My Photos

I am fond of light colors and I felt very sad to use bright colors. As the client insisted to use dark colors, I have painted it with it.
hasnazameer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None