1st Sprayer Advice & options - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree17Likes

Old 06-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48
View Radius118's Photo Album My Photos
Default 1st Sprayer Advice & options

Hi!

Newbie here. Thanks for all of the informative posts. Been reading a lot.

Looking at getting my first sprayer. Since I don't have much experience with sprayers I have some questions and am asking for some advice.

Pros/cons of cart versus stand models?

To me, it seems like the cart would be convenient for transporting the unit around, etc. Does the dip tube unscrew to make it easier to swap buckets?

On the other hand the stand model seems like it would be easier to swap buckets. Pull the dip tube, swap to the next bucket and continue. The downside being more difficult to move the machine around.

I am at about $1K budget wise so I am looking at some of the top "pro-sumer" model spray setups like the Graco Pro210ES. I also recognize the machine is just the beginning of the investment. The gun the machine comes with is likely to be a lower end model, plus there are tips to buy, etc.

Also, I have a buddy that is willing to sell me a very lightly used Titan Aircoat air assisted machine at my price point. The only bummer is it has a hopper instead of a suction hose but in my searching it looks like the suction hose kit is available. I have used this machine once before and it was a bit fiddly - occasionally hard to get it primed and even with thinned latex it seemed like you had to run it wide open to get decent coverage. Maybe I was doing something wrong but the diaphram pump in the machine just did not seem powerful enough.

Any advice for the spray newbie?
Radius118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,516
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radius118 View Post
Hi!

Newbie here. Thanks for all of the informative posts. Been reading a lot.

Looking at getting my first sprayer. Since I don't have much experience with sprayers I have some questions and am asking for some advice.

Pros/cons of cart versus stand models?

To me, it seems like the cart would be convenient for transporting the unit around, etc. Does the dip tube unscrew to make it easier to swap buckets?

On the other hand the stand model seems like it would be easier to swap buckets. Pull the dip tube, swap to the next bucket and continue. The downside being more difficult to move the machine around.

I am at about $1K budget wise so I am looking at some of the top "pro-sumer" model spray setups like the Graco Pro210ES. I also recognize the machine is just the beginning of the investment. The gun the machine comes with is likely to be a lower end model, plus there are tips to buy, etc.

Also, I have a buddy that is willing to sell me a very lightly used Titan Aircoat air assisted machine at my price point. The only bummer is it has a hopper instead of a suction hose but in my searching it looks like the suction hose kit is available. I have used this machine once before and it was a bit fiddly - occasionally hard to get it primed and even with thinned latex it seemed like you had to run it wide open to get decent coverage. Maybe I was doing something wrong but the diaphram pump in the machine just did not seem powerful enough.

Any advice for the spray newbie? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.painttalk.com/images/smilies/smile.png[/IMG]
Don't bother with homeowner grade models. Graco 390 or Titan 440. Look for a used 395+ if you can find one. Usually they just need a $50 repack then spray like brand new.
CApainter likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
Don't bother with homeowner grade models. Graco 390 or Titan 440. Look for a used 395+ if you can find one. Usually they just need a $50 repack then spray like brand new.
Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc. Some stuff out there but not sure how to tell if I am buying a decent machine or a POS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc. Some stuff out there but not sure how to tell if I am buying a decent machine or a POS.

Run a gallon of water through it, see if it primes and will hold pressure. even a totally junked sprayer can generally be repaired for a fraction of the price of a new one as long as the motor runs

I know a guy who got a junked old graco 1000. It was toast and took a bunch of elbow grease and a couple hundred in parts but now he has a practically brand new 1gpm sprayer.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 06-24-2020 at 01:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
Radius118 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Run a gallon of water through it, see if it primes and will hold pressure. even a totally junked sprayer can generally be repaired for a fraction of the price of a new one as long as the motor runs

I know a guy who got a junked old graco 1000. It was toast and took a bunch of elbow grease and a couple hundred in parts but now he has a practically brand new 1gpm sprayer.
LOL! That's usually how I get my cars!

So far in my searches I have found quite a few 440s. Not so many 390s or 395s. But I have found a package deal that includes a Ultimate Super Nova 495 and a 440 for $450.00

Also found a Titan 840 for what seems like an ok price but the ad is pretty old.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #6

Quote:
LOL! That's usually how I get my cars!

So far in my searches I have found quite a few 440s. Not so many 390s or 395s. But I have found a package deal that includes a Ultimate Super Nova 495 and a 440 for $450.00

Also found a Titan 840 for what seems like an ok price but the ad is pretty old.

titan 440s are good pumps, parts are inexpensive too though I prefer graco.

On a titan same thing, see if it primes and hold pressure. take off the front cover plate and look for paint coming out from the packings. if there is a bunch of dried paint the upper packings are blown out and will need a repack and possibly a new piston rod.

check prime valve for leaking too while your at it
Old 06-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
titan 440s are good pumps, parts are inexpensive too though I prefer graco.

On a titan same thing, see if it primes and hold pressure. take off the front cover plate and look for paint coming out from the packings. if there is a bunch of dried paint the upper packings are blown out and will need a repack and possibly a new piston rod.

check prime valve for leaking too while your at it
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I have not gotten any responses to the ads I have found for some different machines. I don't understand why you would advertise something and then not respond to inquiries. Sigh.

But I will keep looking to see what I find. I'd rather buy a good or decent used machine than pay the price for a new one if I can help it.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:18 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,402
Thanked 1,045 Times in 677 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

Best place to find a used airless is at a repair shop. Guys leave machines for repair then never pick them up. Most of the time the shop is just trying to recoup the cost of the parts.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Best place to find a used airless is at a repair shop. Guys leave machines for repair then never pick them up. Most of the time the shop is just trying to recoup the cost of the parts.
Good advice, thank you.

I will have to look around to see who repairs these things and go from there.

At the moment I am trying to find a bigger machine than I need. You can drive a fast car slow, but you can't drive a slow car faster than it will go.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #10

Found a 550xc for $300. But I can't find any specifications for it. Anyone know how many GPM and max tip size? Also is it powerful enough to push through 100' of hose?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Found a 550xc for $300. But I can't find any specifications for it. Anyone know how many GPM and max tip size? Also is it powerful enough to push through 100' of hose?
Too old to be worth 300 maybe $100 a used modern 440 you can find for $300. As long as the pump has good packings can push 100ft hose and a 515.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Too old to be worth 300 maybe $100 a used modern 440 you can find for $300. As long as the pump has good packings can push 100ft hose and a 515.
Ok. I am in the Seattle region and things tend to go for more money up here. Crusty 390s needing a rebuild are going for $200+ up here.

I have found an older Titan/Speedflo PowrTwin 3500 with electric motor. Specs state it's a 1.2GPM pump that can do 400-3300 psi.

This machine is likely far more than I need, but the price seems attractive and gives me "room to grow"

I understand that XX amount of pressure is required for the material that is being sprayed. Is it possible to use a smaller tip and/or 1/4" hose to regulate the GPM? As a newbie I doubt I would be able to keep up with a machine spraying that much material.

Thank you!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Ok. I am in the Seattle region and things tend to go for more money up here. Crusty 390s needing a rebuild are going for $200+ up here.

I have found an older Titan/Speedflo PowrTwin 3500 with electric motor. Specs state it's a 1.2GPM pump that can do 400-3300 psi.

This machine is likely far more than I need, but the price seems attractive and gives me "room to grow"

I understand that XX amount of pressure is required for the material that is being sprayed. Is it possible to use a smaller tip and/or 1/4" hose to regulate the GPM? As a newbie I doubt I would be able to keep up with a machine spraying that much material.

Thank you!

That 550xc has to be 20 years old. Personally I would avoid the big boy pumps, very heavy and parts are going to be expensive and the guys who use them rarely take care of them.

$200 for a 390 isn't a bad deal if you know how to repack them. As long as a the piston rod is in good shape a repack kit may cost only $75 or so. The other things to look for are leaking prime valves, worn piston rod, bad transducer etc.
CApainter likes this.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,844
Thanked 9,661 Times in 5,500 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The 445 Titan is a good compact and easily transportable unit. Especially if you're not going to be spraying a lot. It is more than adequate to get the average painting job done.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #15

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am having a hard time finding anything decent out there at the moment. So far I think the Titan/Speedflo PowrTwin 3500 is my best option. The seller states he has the receipt for a fresh service and new packings. I have countered with him @ $900 which after buying a few tips is right at my budget.

I do realize it's more machine than I need. But it does give me room to grow and do bigger jobs if the opportunity arises.

Are there any good reasons why I shouldn't buy this machine?
Old 06-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 85
View jr.sr. painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Thank you!

I hear the chop zone has some nice ones stole... I mean for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn likes this.
jr.sr. painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,844
Thanked 9,661 Times in 5,500 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am having a hard time finding anything decent out there at the moment. So far I think the Titan/Speedflo PowrTwin 3500 is my best option. The seller states he has the receipt for a fresh service and new packings. I have countered with him @ $900 which after buying a few tips is right at my budget.

I do realize it's more machine than I need. But it does give me room to grow and do bigger jobs if the opportunity arises.

Are there any good reasons why I shouldn't buy this machine?
The PowerTwin 3500 weighs 140 lbs. compared to the Titan 440 at 36 lbs.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
The PowerTwin 3500 weighs 140 lbs. compared to the Titan 440 at 36 lbs.
Good point.

I am fortunate in that my truck has a lift gate. But I can see how that might be an issue in some circumstances.

Any other cons against the machine?
Old 06-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Good point.

I am fortunate in that my truck has a lift gate. But I can see how that might be an issue in some circumstances.

Any other cons against the machine?

repacking a titan 440 costs $50 and an hour of time vs hundreds and dealing with hydrualics.

Those hydrualic pumps are best used with a 55 gallon drum or you need a 3 man crew one person manning the pump, one spraying with a 1223 and one back rolling

They have their place but for the lone paint contractor I would look at a 440-640
CApainter likes this.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:
repacking a titan 440 costs $50 and an hour of time vs hundreds and dealing with hydrualics.

Those hydrualic pumps are best used with a 55 gallon drum or you need a 3 man crew one person manning the pump, one spraying with a 1223 and one back rolling

They have their place but for the lone paint contractor I would look at a 440-640
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I guess I will keep looking. Seems like any machine that appears to be decent is gone very quickly.

Tags
None