Airless hose diameter for shellac only setup? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sayn3ver

Old 09-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 604
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos
Default Airless hose diameter for shellac only setup?

I picked up a Wagner 404+ diaphragm sprayer almost a year ago for $20 with the intention of making it a bin/shellac only rig. It's electric motor is a bit smaller than a Titan ed655 but takes the same diaphragm so it should be perfect for when I need to spray more than a cup or two of bin which has been reserved for the turbine hvlp.

I was thinking due to its low viscosity I could use a 25ft 3/16 airless hose with an 1/8" whip.

I know some of the air driven AAA setups like Kremlin and ca technologies supply their setups with 1/8 hoses for fluid lines for solvents and clears.

Any thoughts in my logic? As always here to minimize product loss. The hoses will cost a lot more than the pump itself which is sad.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 380
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

Some pumps will not work with that short of hose. Don’t know about that one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

This is a small diaphragm pump. The official Wagner response is nothing smaller than a 1/4" hose. That's because they have a liability.

However I find it difficult to believe near water viscosity coatings having trouble is the smaller lines, as stated the air driven aaa pumps utilize 1/8" fluid hoses.

It was explained to me that many airless utilize a certain footage of hose as a "storage" volume of to help minimize pressure fluctuations and even out the pressure seen at the gun.

I understand that concept.

I suppose ill probably just bite the bullet and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 342
View STAR's Photo Album My Photos

Im curious about this as well. I have a Graco 490 with a 1/4 hose and wanted to add a 1/8 3' whip hose for easier maneuvering. I will be spraying only latex coatings, nothing thin like a shellac.
As mentioned, Kremlin and other AAA use a small diameter hose for fluid so I can't see this being a problem.
STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 234
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAR View Post
Im curious about this as well. I have a Graco 490 with a 1/4 hose and wanted to add a 1/8 3' whip hose for easier maneuvering. I will be spraying only latex coatings, nothing thin like a shellac.
As mentioned, Kremlin and other AAA use a small diameter hose for fluid so I can't see this being a problem.
I'd go with a 3/16" whip. You will get just as much maneuverability without needlessly throttling down paint flow.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #6

I agree. If you are shooting architectural acrylics, latexes, oils, etc a 1/4" hose and 3/16" whip is definitely recommended. The 490, being a piston pump probably has different minimum hose size and lengths then a fluttering, always on diaphragm.

I was being very specific in my intended dedicated use as the material I want to shoot is water thin almost. I'd probably wager that solvent and waterborne lacquers would fall into the same range, however I had planned on using this little thing strictly for bin/pigmented shellac. It's an older model geared towards homeowners as it comes stock with 3/4" garden hose threads on the inlet valve and comes stock with a cheap clear vinyl pickup tube.

However I had previously known that it utilizes many parts that are interchangeable with the Titan ed655 sprayer, including the inlet valve (different thread on the ed655).

And while I have some spare 1/4" hoses, and while it came with short stock 1/4" hose (maybe 15-20') I'd like to minimize product needed to prime on the front end and solvent waste on the back end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAR View Post
I'd go with a 3/16" whip. You will get just as much maneuverability without needlessly throttling down paint flow.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 234
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
I agree. If you are shooting architectural acrylics, latexes, oils, etc a 1/4" hose and 3/16" whip is definitely recommended. The 490, being a piston pump probably has different minimum hose size and lengths then a fluttering, always on diaphragm.

I was being very specific in my intended dedicated use as the material I want to shoot is water thin almost. I'd probably wager that solvent and waterborne lacquers would fall into the same range, however I had planned on using this little thing strictly for bin/pigmented shellac. It's an older model geared towards homeowners as it comes stock with 3/4" garden hose threads on the inlet valve and comes stock with a cheap clear vinyl pickup tube.

However I had previously known that it utilizes many parts that are interchangeable with the Titan ed655 sprayer, including the inlet valve (different thread on the ed655).

And while I have some spare 1/4" hoses, and while it came with short stock 1/4" hose (maybe 15-20') I'd like to minimize product needed to prime on the front end and solvent waste on the back end.
Yep, my comment was directed at Star's situation. I understand your situation, and have understood from the start your reasons for using a smaller diameter whip . Sounds like good reasoning to me.

Last edited by Lightningboy65; 10-04-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

Sorry I was directing my response at star as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post

Yep, my comment was directed at Star's situation. I understand your situation, and have understood from the start your reasons for using a smaller diameter whip . Sounds like good reasoning to me.
Lightningboy65 likes this.

Tags
None