Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

The Best Brush Ever

121K views 52 replies 37 participants last post by  PACman 
#1 ·
So I stumbled across this blog online where I guy that seems to know what he is talking about reviewed some brushes. He said to have liked these ones a lot:

http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/08/zibra-grip-n-glide.html

Anyone used them or think that they may be good?

This made me want to go and buy a Benjamin Moore 65125:

http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/04/brushes-closeup.html

Look how it has that extra section in the center to hold more paint:

http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/04/all-brush-hype.html

I'm just looking for feedback...I am still looking for the perfect interior cut-in brush and the best exterior brush as well. Thanks for your input!

#2 ·
So I stumbled across this blog online where I guy that seems to know what he is talking about reviewed some brushes. He said to have liked these ones a lot:

http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/08/zibra-grip-n-glide.html

Anyone used them or think that they may be good?

This made me want to go and buy a Benjamin Moore 65125:

http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/04/brushes-closeup.html

Look how it has that extra section in the center to hold more paint:

http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/04/all-brush-hype.html

I'm just looking for feedback...I am still looking for the perfect interior cut-in brush and the best exterior brush as well. Thanks for your input!

No need to reinvent the wheel on this one. Its hard to beat a 2.5" angled Purdy for interior or exterior.

#5 ·
no comment on the angled brushes - and purdy is NOT the brush it once was

if you want a good latex brush get a wooster 3" all paints (firm) $14 - easy to clean and solid,

and secondly

if your working off a werner, the wooster fits nicely with a twist in the rung hole... the purdy will not

#15 ·
LOL No offense taken. Okay, I have to admit Purdy's have been my "go to" brushes. Not that I'm against trying out some of the others, but I bought most of my brushes in bulk at some outrageously cheap prices. And I dont get to many stores that carry the other brands, though I have tried a few Woosters with decent results. Seeing as I'm basically retired now and have a couple dozen assorted brand new Purdy brushes, I dont see myself buying any brushes for quite a while.

....and as far as any "silver tip" brushes are concerned; if the silver bristles fall out of the brush like the silver hair on the top of my head, I'm not interested. LOL

#18 ·
the best paint brush

Well, Ive used every brush there is in my 23years, I had a brush about 10 years ago made by sherwin williams, I called it the bicentennial brush, man that was the best brush ever, venice is also a good brush, corona also, purdy sheads too much hair for my taste, and duron made a brush called the silver squirrel, most of you ole' timers know what Im talking about, well any ways you can cut with almost any brush, longs as your corners dont contain garbage, get my drift? but I never used the brush your writing about by bm..it might be a good brush..when I come across one ill let you know iiittte?.

#19 · (Edited)
Ive found that the Benjamin Moore brush (65125) is still the sharpest brush ive come across but its limited in its hold capacity compared to Wooster Silver Tip or Wooster Alpha in the same 2 1/2" size. Those two Wooster brushes hold a ton of paint in comparison but they are not as easy to use in tight places where the 65125 does great! I still keep the 65125 handy and often use it but the Silver Tip and the Wooster Alpha 3" 15/16" wall brush is master of production. There isnt a painter I use that brush in front of that doesn't comment on the speed of Alpha. It is insane!

One painter saw the video on my site and actually asked me at work "how did you do that in the video"? I told him he wasnt going to do that with the very popular brush he was holding. So I showed him. Again this week I am working with a different contractor and he commented on the Alpha 3"wall brush. Its a damn monster and it will get you 8' runs if you can reach that far with one single load. Thats huge production.

For comparison, the Purdy XL Glide holds less and is thinner than the 65125. Purdy doesnt make a brush similar to the Alpha 3" wall brush that I am aware of.

#20 ·
Zebra brushes = crap

I've used Zebra brushes when they first came out. They were good for about two jobs before the bristles just started falling out. I'd be cutting in and a bristle would slide out while I was painting a line. Not only are they *not* the best brushes ever, I'd say they're the worst. I've had better luck with the generic 3-for$8 brushes you get at the bargain bin at Home Depot. Just stick with Purdy.

#22 ·
I've used Zebra brushes when they first came out. They were good for about two jobs before the bristles just started falling out. I'd be cutting in and a bristle would slide out while I was painting a line. Not only are they *not* the best brushes ever, I'd say they're the worst. I've had better luck with the generic 3-for$8 brushes you get at the bargain bin at Home Depot. Just stick with Purdy.
Must be that China QC, I've used a 2" Zibra brush on the last 3 jobs and it still looks and feels like new. Maybe they've made some improvements over their earlier brushes!? I'll play rough on the next job and see if I can tear it up a little bit.

#23 ·
I'm hooked on these Zachary brushes. They aren't expensive, some guy out of Richmond,BC imports them. One of those things that I've been using for years and know what the brush is going to do. Sort of like your Putter in the golf bag, screw getting a fancy, expensive putter just get to know one and trust it.

The BM store was out of Zachary the other week so I bought an Infinity....don't like it at all...waste of $26.

Maybe I'll try that Wooster (firm)....I like all other systems by Wooster so far.

#24 ·
I love the Purdy 3 inch angled Pro extra glide even though when I first get them it seems they have a bit too much bounce in the bristles . I keep at least 4 or 5 of them on hand and slowly work them into my brush rotation , I'll use brand new ones for things like cutting in ceilings and things and get them a little dirty and comfortable feeling before I cut serious lines with them !

#28 ·
Wow, I kept hearing good reviews for the Wooster Alpha. I went on Wooster's site to check it out and realized I have one and HATE it. Feels to springy and thick and doesn't come to a nice point. Maybe I just got a defect, but for walls I'll stick with the Benjamin Moore Extra Firm 647.

I stumbled on the Corona Excalibur a few years ago and LOVE it for trim:

#30 ·
Wow, I kept hearing good reviews for the Wooster Alpha. I went on Wooster's site to check it out and realized I have one and HATE it. Feels to springy and thick and doesn't come to a nice point. Maybe I just got a defect, but for walls I'll stick with the Benjamin Moore Extra Firm 647.
haha... I know exactly what you are talking about between BM and the Alpha. I was using the regular version of your brush before I first used an Alpha and it was different and took a bit getting used to the Alpha. I addressed the tip (point) issue with Wooster and I hope to see that changed on both the Alpha and the Silver Tip. Like you, I too got spoiled with that ultra sharp point on those benjamin moore brushes. Comes in handy.

#34 ·
I used to like the Corona Excaliburs, but have switched to cortez for walls and Vegas for trim. 2.5" sash either way. I did not like the Alpha at all. Looked good in the store, but does not lay down to a nice point or a straight line down the side of the brush. The silvertip pay become my new throw away (and possibly more brush) since it is cheaper than the cheap nylon plastic yellow handle wooster. For the $$, Silvertip sure seems nice. I think I will stock the exterior trailer with these for shutters and front doors. That way when MoorGlo leaves too much tint and alkyd in the brush it is not so bad to toss it.

#35 · (Edited)
You couldn't get the filaments to align with the Alpha? I'm surprised because it does that so good. I thought I had a video posted but guess not so I just uploaded one. This is the 2.5" angular. Here is cutting in 1 foot per second. Actually what I thought was cool about the Alpha was that both sides of the cut were equally sharp. You can see it in the video next to the tape measure.

#40 ·
What is the brush for Marine Spar Varnish (Crazy)

Supply house gave me a Corona 3" Pro (China Bristle) brush. Paid $24.00. This brush is the biggest piece of S%$T i have ever used. Or maybe I'm a retard (No offense to the handicapped) Was this brush the right match? This brush shed so much it filled up my cloth. (2 of them) It was on my finish coat. The first time i use it shed (Not so Bad) 2 and 3rd time was ok. 4th time a complete disaster.

Any feed back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.