Best roller cover? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern U.S.
Posts: 339
Rewards Points: 252
Thanks: 87
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best roller cover?

Been using soft woven sw but they don't seem to pickup and release very well but could be just because It's going over builder grade paint or something. Is there a better performer. How do lambswool perform?
sincere painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Born 2 Paint
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,021
Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanks: 6,089
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Cant beat lambs wool covers. I have had good results with the Purdys too.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (02-12-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern U.S.
Posts: 339
Rewards Points: 252
Thanks: 87
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Cant beat lambs wool covers. I have had good results with the Purdys too.
I've heard the lambs wool leaves a "knock down" finish. Adversely, I've experienced an "orange peel" finish with other covers, but in many situations a smoother finish is achieveable by backrolling, proper pressure, etc. Now my question becomes, is a smoother finish also achieveable with a lambs wool cover which typically leaves the "knockdown" by simply changing the "technique" of the roll?

I'm aiming for the best of both worlds but wondering if there are some trade offs. Or is the lambs wool the ultimate?
sincere painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,188
Rewards Points: 582
Thanks: 643
Thanked 963 Times in 502 Posts
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere painter View Post
I've heard the lambs wool leaves a "knock down" finish. Adversely, I've experienced an "orange peel" finish with other covers, but in many situations a smoother finish is achieveable by backrolling, proper pressure, etc. Now my question becomes, is a smoother finish also achieveable with a lambs wool cover which typically leaves the "knockdown" by simply changing the "technique" of the roll?

I'm aiming for the best of both worlds but wondering if there are some trade offs. Or is the lambs wool the ultimate?
Lambswool guy all my life. It's hard to consistently find decent ones anymore and they are pricey, but they last a long time if you take care of them. Also liked the whizz line for certain things. They don't seem like they are gonna work, but once you get used to them they actually work pretty well, don't shed and last as well.
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Paint Store Owner
 
NCPaint1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,550
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 1,374
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I tried out a couple Microfiber covers. They were great I wouldnt recommend them for everything, but they were great with what I was using. Used the BM 5/16" ( Wooster ) for Aura. Doesnt hold a ton of material, so you have to load the roller more frequently, but it does leave a really tight stipple helping to get better hide/coverage.

I tried Arrow Worthy's 9/16" Microfiber with some PPG Wallhide Matte, and BM Eco Spec WB Eggshell. Similar colors with both products. It worked better with the PPG than the BM, I think I was over rolling the Eco Spec because I had a ton of holidays on my first coat. The second coat was fine. I bet if I used the 5/16" that I used with the Aura, and slowed my roller speed down a bit, It would have been no problem.
__________________
Benjamin Moore, PPG, Sikkens, TWP, Wood Defender, Airless Sales and Service


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
 
ReNt A PaInTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TeXaS, UnItEd StAtEs
Posts: 4,508
Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere painter View Post
Been using soft woven sw but they don't seem to pickup and release very well but could be just because It's going over builder grade paint or something. Is there a better performer. How do lambswool perform?
I have used soft woven from SW with Aura, Natura and Eco Spec WB and they perfom better than using the special roller for Aura and some others microfiber covers. Try to use a mid grade paint and you would get better results. BTW now SW has soft woven for the 18" Roller
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern U.S.
Posts: 339
Rewards Points: 252
Thanks: 87
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNt A PaInTeR View Post
I have used soft woven from SW with Aura, Natura and Eco Spec WB and they perfom better than using the special roller for Aura and some others microfiber covers. Try to use a mid grade paint and you would get better results. BTW now SW has soft woven for the 18" Roller
wow, happy ground hog day, when did you come out of your hole, lol
__________________
Thank you for reading my post.
sincere painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
 
ReNt A PaInTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TeXaS, UnItEd StAtEs
Posts: 4,508
Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere painter View Post
wow, happy ground hog day, when did you come out of your hole, lol
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern U.S.
Posts: 339
Rewards Points: 252
Thanks: 87
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNt A PaInTeR View Post
Sorry, I just didn't go for that humor about the 18. My rotator cuff got beat by an 18 one time...it pushed about 15 g's of it on one evening :-( never been the same. Doc says it's a small cyst.

Anyway, was shootin for something better than a soft woven to allow for smoother application. Switched from a soft woven to a colossus for textured ceilings and will never go back. Don't think a colossus is ideal for smooth walls...maybe good if it were a 3/8.

Guess I'm too cheap to just buy a lambswool and short nap colossus and take em for a test ride.
__________________
Thank you for reading my post.
sincere painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,818
Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere painter View Post
Sorry, I just didn't go for that humor about the 18. My rotator cuff got beat by an 18 one time...it pushed about 15 g's of it on one evening :-( never been the same. Doc says it's a small cyst.

Anyway, was shootin for something better than a soft woven to allow for smoother application. Switched from a soft woven to a colossus for textured ceilings and will never go back. Don't think a colossus is ideal for smooth walls...maybe good if it were a 3/8.

Guess I'm too cheap to just buy a lambswool and short nap colossus and take em for a test ride.
Lambs wool, purdy colossus, 18's. Pretty much what ever I think is the best for application and production.

I thought you were an employee? Your boss making you supply covers?
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern U.S.
Posts: 339
Rewards Points: 252
Thanks: 87
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Lambs wool, purdy colossus, 18's. Pretty much what ever I think is the best for application and production.

I thought you were an employee? Your boss making you supply covers?
Yes I am an employee. He supplies covers. He does convey the thought that if we have an idea that will save time and money he will implement that idea. I will go to what some might consider extremes to make an application better. Over the last few years I'm either getting a lot older or I'm doing more rolling...it's a delicate balance lol. Anyway, I've been paying close attention to my own personal efficiency and it seems rolling could be a little more efficient, hence all the questions about rolling. It's staring to pay off. My boss is starting to make some changes.

By the way, I used to get email notifications of new posts but not anymore. I don't understand why it stopped. Sorry for the delay. I think it makes me look like I hesitated :-(.
__________________
Thank you for reading my post.
sincere painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 27
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
View throbak's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Wooster wool for 18" and Qualitech "Wooly Bully" for 6". Wool wears so much better that it justifies the cost. I comb them out with an afro pick after every 2 or three uses. Plus the finish is as smooth as the pro woven woosters, but holds much more paint.
throbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
aaron61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: clearwater,fl
Posts: 6,326
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 3,034
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Colusus
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
A Brush Above
 
Paradigmzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 4,669
Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanks: 4,681
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos
Default

colossus for everything. No smooth walls here (hence why I dont sand between coats.....)
__________________
Quote:
Still waiting to see if this "internet thing" is going to take off......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 304
Rewards Points: 264
Thanks: 5
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
View Ace Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I like the sher-lambs.
__________________
Ace Painting
Ace Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 853
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 147
Thanked 163 Times in 129 Posts
View JoseyWales's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Micro fibre for me.Just bought 2 dozen.They don't flatten out of shape and you can use them for 2-3-4 houses.They hold a ton of paint too and the backroll lays it down like glass.

Colossus are also very good.
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
very senior member
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hagerstown md
Posts: 9,848
Rewards Points: 4
Thanks: 3,623
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

thisis the only cover I used for normal painting
Attached Images
 
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: nj
Posts: 131
Rewards Points: 75
Thanks: 127
Thanked 71 Times in 36 Posts
View DHlll's Photo Album My Photos
Default curious

For the guys that use any lambs wool....do you guys clean out the roller at the end of the day? They obviously cost more then regulars rollers, so is it cost effect to clean out a 1/2in at the end of the day? How is the roll out stipple. It seams to be a heavy nap on smooth walls.
DHlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
A Brush Above
 
Paradigmzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 4,669
Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanks: 4,681
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHlll View Post
For the guys that use any lambs wool....do you guys clean out the roller at the end of the day? They obviously cost more then regulars rollers, so is it cost effect to clean out a 1/2in at the end of the day? How is the roll out stipple. It seams to be a heavy nap on smooth walls.

If I am usig same color multiple days, (using a 5) I will load the roller and then hang it inside the bucket above the paint line and cover the top with plastic. Humidity keeps the roller fresh.

I clean my covers and use them again, despite what others here do. 5 minutes is worth a 13 dollar roller cover. That and a pre-washed or multiple washed cover doesnt lint up. (No fuzzies in the wall)
__________________
Quote:
Still waiting to see if this "internet thing" is going to take off......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
Bender (02-13-2011), Wolfgang (02-14-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
ttd
Senior Member
 
ttd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 218
Rewards Points: 178
Thanks: 206
Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts
View ttd's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Lamb's wool. Nothing cleans up better or last longer. I do not like them on slick finishes however.
__________________
Terry
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red paint - why doesn't it cover? annapaints General Painting Discussion 16 08-16-2010 10:30 AM
Free Roller Cover smittydidit Tools, Supplies and Equipment 47 03-02-2010 06:16 PM
Best inexpensive roller cover for latex painted lady General Painting Discussion 28 01-17-2010 04:24 PM
New product testdrive - Microfiber Roller Cover ProWallGuy Photos of Project and Equipment 16 12-19-2008 07:55 PM
Whats' the best roller cover? marchboom General Painting Discussion 3 03-30-2008 10:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com