Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum

Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum (https://www.painttalk.com/)
-   Tools, Supplies and Equipment (https://www.painttalk.com/f12/)
-   -   BM Ultra Spec 500 (https://www.painttalk.com/f12/bm-ultra-spec-500-a-18164/)

NEPS.US 03-11-2012 08:43 PM

BM Ultra Spec 500
 
Anyone try it yet?

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...C#advs=0&tab=3

I am going to use it on our next NC project and am hoping this will be our new "NC" paint for the future. After several issues with Super Spec we started using BEN while waiting for Ultra to show up in stores for the same price point as Super.

Zero VOC and GENNEX platform as well.

Paint and Hammer 03-11-2012 08:51 PM

How do you interpret this?


"Zero-VOC Ultra Spec 500 is a professional-quality interior coating designed to meet the needs of professional painting contractors, facility managers, and property managers."

NEPS.US 03-11-2012 09:02 PM

I read each word slowly and understand it?

George Z 03-11-2012 09:10 PM

55 Attachment(s)
We used it for brush and roll.
The low sheen is a good choice for new drywall,
the eggshell is good too.
Definitely an upgrade from Superspec, but why do they need Ecospec now?
Ultraspec or Natura should be enough of a choice.
Reminds me of all the brands GM had.
But yes, good product

DeanV 03-11-2012 09:11 PM

I talked to our rep at a paint show and he said ultra spec should be better than super spec and cheaper as well. It has a different pricing strategy that rewards dealers for volume. I am not sure on the details of pricing but something. Ist is different on the BM to dealer side that provides incentive for the dealers to price it more aggressively.

I really do not see it as an option for most NC work, but maybe commercial or track/spec homes.

Paint and Hammer 03-11-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEPS.US (Post 299260)
I read each word slowly and understand it?

Seriously....does that just mean its a price point product?

I'm always a bit baffled by "contractor grade" and what that means.

wills fresh coat 03-11-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEPS.US (Post 299255)
Anyone try it yet?

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...C#advs=0&tab=3

I am going to use it on our next NC project and am hoping this will be our new "NC" paint for the future. After several issues with Super Spec we started using BEN while waiting for Ultra to show up in stores for the same price point as Super.

Zero VOC and GENNEX platform as well.

Not that I use a lot of BM but when I do it is ss, what were the issues you were having?

NEPS.US 03-11-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wills fresh coat (Post 299281)
Not that I use a lot of BM but when I do it is ss, what were the issues you were having?

Flashing, bad touch up abilities, inconsistant coloring, 275-01 (flat white) with a terrible batch of paint that was like whip creame in a five.

RH 04-28-2012 03:38 PM

1073 Attachment(s)
Have a job starting Tuesday where the HO tried to touch up some ceiling spots with Behr tinted to match BM Atrium White. Didn't work out. My BM supplier wants me to try out the Ultra Spec 500 (they stopped carrying Regal in exchange for stocking the US/500 - they have limited storage space) and gave me a free gallon of flat to use.

How's it worked out for any of you that have used it? My regular price would be around $29 per gallon.

PatsPainting 04-28-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEPS.US (Post 299286)
Flashing, bad touch up abilities, inconsistant coloring, 275-01 (flat white) with a terrible batch of paint that was like whip creame in a five.

I have yet to try it, but my bud told me it touches up much better then the normal SS. I would imagine it covers better too being it's tinted with the gennix colorants.

Pat

MonPeintre.ca 04-28-2012 04:53 PM

We had problems with the ceilling flat. Dosent touch up well and too much flashing.

TJ Paint 04-28-2012 05:29 PM

Sounds like it's a lower grade natura, being zero voc. If it costs less than superspec, I'm not going to hold my breathe on it being high performance. Hope I'm wrong.

Scotiadawg 04-29-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanV (Post 299267)
I talked to our rep at a paint show and he said ultra spec should be better than super spec and cheaper as well. It has a different pricing strategy that rewards dealers for volume. I am not sure on the details of pricing but something. Ist is different on the BM to dealer side that provides incentive for the dealers to price it more aggressively.

I really do not see it as an option for most NC work, but maybe commercial or track/spec homes.

I tried the Ultra and was impressed ! Great paint and good price $ 26 + tx here .:thumbsup:

earl12 05-24-2012 12:29 AM

Im using the product for the first time, It rolls and brushes on nice and it hardly has a smell. Its a better product then super spec. it cost a little more then spec not sure why people are saying its cheaper

NCPaint1 05-24-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl12
Im using the product for the first time, It rolls and brushes on nice and it hardly has a smell. Its a better product then super spec. it cost a little more then spec not sure why people are saying its cheaper

I have completely dropped Super Spec for Ultra Spec in our stores. No complaints whatsoever. We kept the price the same as SS. It does cost slightly more, but were talking pennies. The finish names are different, sheens look the same as SS. Flat, Low Sheen (SS Eggshell), Eggshell (SS Pearl), Semi-Gloss, and now a Gloss finish added.

The biggest difference that I've personally noticed is the dry time. SS has always dried fairly quick, but Ultra is probably 50% faster +/-.

The Ultra Spec exterior has gotten great reviews. Good looking label, 25yr warranty, good price, same application as the 100% acrylic SS exterior (183,184,185 product lines).

TJ Paint 05-24-2012 07:21 PM

Since when have warranties been worth anything? :jester:

sounds good overall though.

NCPaint1 05-24-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Paint
Since when have warranties been worth anything? :jester:

sounds good overall though.

Not disagreeing with you, but the old SS exterior only had a "satisfaction guarantee". Basically the same thing, product replacement .....but people want to see an actual year warranty. Just like they want to see "primer & paint" on the label.

Honestpainting 04-13-2016 10:46 AM

Anybody noticing a lot of drag on the brush with ultra spec? Upside is it forces me to brush ultra fast ;)

Wildbill7145 06-12-2016 08:56 AM

Girls at the paint shop finally convinced me to give this stuff a try. My understanding is that this stuff replaced Superspec which I was forced to use several years ago and considered it to be complete garbage.

Weird thing is that the girls told me the BM rep told them he felt it performed better than Ben, which is hard to believe considering that Ben is close to $20/gal more expensive.

Rbriggs82 06-12-2016 09:01 AM

I thought the old Superspec was garbage too, I thought the UltraSpec was a little better but I still didn't really care for it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.