Brush advice (UK contractor) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View sparex's Photo Album My Photos
Default Brush advice (UK contractor)

Hello guys and gals i am new to the forum and am looking for some advice

i am a UK based contractor only 24 years old been trading for 5 years and have been doing fairly well i consider myself a OK painter i understand the basic knowledge but there is no short cut to experience

i have been using Harris and Hamilton brushes for the past 5 years 2" flats for cutting walls synthetics and black china bristle for oil based but i have come to a decision it time to upgrade not only my brushes but my production i have read a lot of the forum posts regarding this but a lot of them are out of date or not what i am looking for

i see a lot of you guys use 2 1/2" angel sash brushes and 3" wall brushes and i am hoping that with some better brushes more suited to the task in hand i could up my production a lot i often find my self running out of paint on a cut in well before i am out of reach

so down to the question

What size and make of brushes do you use for what and why would i see a great benefit in using Corona or Prudy brushes would i be able to cut in as far as i can reach without running out of paint and is a 3" really practical for cutting in (seems a bit big to me)

also do you guys ever use any thing below a 2 1/2" brush

thanks in advance for any reply s

Darren
sparex is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

Wooster alpha 3" flat. You can also get it in an oval which holds way more paint. I keep a 1" on my van but only use it in between trim and nice cabinets so not often.
Gibberish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

You can absolutely cut in with a 3" brush. I have cut in with 4" brushes sometimes, but I prefer a 3" angle sash for cutting in. My current favorites are the Proform Picasso, Wooster Alpha, and Ben Moore nylon polyester extra firm all in 3" angle sash. I also like corona chinex for some things (oil and Duration exterior), and purdy syntox for polyurethanes.
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

View F&SWins's Photo Album My Photos

I almost always use 3inch brushes. Purdy "sprigs" are fairly stiff, I like them for good lines. The only downside is the sprig doesn't hold as much paint, but I love it. (also used a 3" corona liked it pretty good)
F&SWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I have some Hamilton's

I typically use a 3" brush for cutting in.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 158
View Holly's Photo Album My Photos

I like Proform's 3" oval brush, it holds a ton of paint. They wear out fast, though. Also corona chinex is pretty nice.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
very senior member

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
I like Proform's 3" oval brush, it holds a ton of paint. They wear out fast, though. Also corona chinex is pretty nice.
You girls and the 3 in brushes. My friend ( contractor) also female, that I work for sometimes, uses nothing but 3 in brushes. Me, they make my arthritis kick in, I use 2 1/2 in , 95% of the time.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

thanks for all the great advice guys i heard mixed reviews about the corona cortez some say its the best others say because of it long flagg its lines are not very sharp

sorry its taken a while to reply
darren
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150
View Colour Republic's Photo Album My Photos

Coronas aren't easily available in the UK so I wouldn't get too attached to a brush that isn't easy to replace

Purdy's & Woosters are easy to get hold of and the Proform Picasso's are now available in the UK although only through one distributor who managed to get exclusive rights I believe.

Where abouts are you based mate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colour Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #10

im based in south Kent fella

i have spoken to TDS and i think im going to order a couple of silver tips a couple of alphas and a couple of Picasso's

think i get a 2.5 angel sash and a 3 in all and see how i get on ive only ever really used angled sash interior so ill stick to it

any ideas on a good oil brush looking for a 2.5 angel sash to panel doors, door linings ,architrave ect

thanks for all the reply s guys
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150
View Colour Republic's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like a plan, i'd get a 1.5" AS Alpha too I really liked it. The 2.5" angled oval Picasso has quickly become my go to brush but didn't really like the 1.5" Picasso. Speak to Sarah at TDS and she'll look after you i'm sure

Colour Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colour Republic For This Useful Post:
mistcoat (11-17-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

For oil I like a chinex. I tried a corona ox hair but I didn't find it to be worth the high price.
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

A Ford Focus will never do what an Audi R8 can do no matter who drives it. Brushes are the same way.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
A Ford Focus will never do what an Audi R8 can do no matter who drives it. Brushes are the same way.
Please explain deeper, Jack

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None