Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Brush Conditioner

14K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  IHATE_HOMEDEPOT 
#1 ·
I have always used Flood "Brush Conditioner" on my latex brushes.
The product is no longer available, so I am looking for a replacement. I have seriously considered making my own, but I don't know what was in the orginal conditioner. Also considered a diluted hair conditioner.
What suggestions do you have?

Sage

#6 ·
I found if I used soap with shea butter it works well to clean and condition the brush. Makes it easier for the paint to come off next time too. I have also used fabric softner to bring brushes back to life after abusing them. Just soak them in it.

#7 ·
I pre wet the brush and will clean it the minute I see any dry paint on it so that doesnt end up back in the can when working inside. After painting, the brush is rinsed fairly good and then placed in Krud Kutter for a few minutes while I get other things together. Then I make that final rinse. I keep my acrylic brushes out of the forms because I do not want them tight. They lay tight when wet.

#13 ·
Havnt used brush conditioner, but soap and krud cutter(thanks JP, saw that a while back) works really well. If the conditioner is harsh I think it would abrade and rough up the bristles. Back in the day I wire brushed, looking back, I no longer have any of those brushes....I use a little plastic fingernail scrubber or paint strainer to get dried paint off from the bristle/ferrule line.

#15 ·
I wouldnt put a brush in undiluted KK for more than a few minutes, but a 70/30 or so water/kk mix (I throw a little liquid laundry soap in, seems to "condition" and clean too) for a while seems to be fine. I spaced out one night and left 5 nice brushes in a 5'er w/ that mix and everything was ok the next morning. I also reuse KK like I did w/ thinner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.