choice of clears/ do they all suck? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View crownislandpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default choice of clears/ do they all suck?

shouts out to you working fathers out there on fathers day.
Anyone spraying varathane's diamond floor finish in gloss as clear of choice for trim package followed by the satin. Seems like lots of clears are constantly being reformulated and ten reappearing as new and improved. The Diamond Varathane has been around forever and is friendly to the user.
Anyone used this clear for production work?
crownislandpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Mike's QP's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't used varathane, Ive been trying out the kemaqua plus from SW lately works pretty good, my usual system was with BM staysclear with good results, the kem aqua touches up and sands really nice very quickly, last night I had 2 doors that were on back order just showed up, 3 coats sanded between coats and hung in several hours, pretty nice product
Mike's QP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 118
Thanked 8,635 Times in 4,028 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I've been using it for years, though I should probably say I use the floor product, not the regular. Holds up to moisture problems so much better, has a thicker consistency, sands nicely, and is damn near bullet-proof. Have used it in medical and dental offices where multiple daily wipe-downs with a disinfectant solution is the norm. Probably my go-to WB clear.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 20
Thanked 5,149 Times in 2,804 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

How well does it stick to oil stains and with how long of a dry on the stain? Any fisheyes over the stains after a 1 night daytime, ever?
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25
View crownislandpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default wb clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I've been using it for years, though I should probably say I use the floor product, not the regular. Holds up to moisture problems so much better, has a thicker consistency, sands nicely, and is damn near bullet-proof. Have used it in medical and dental offices where multiple daily wipe-downs with a disinfectant solution is the norm. Probably my go-to WB clear.
I think I read on an earlier post of yours about a couple of coats of gloss diamond floor varathane followed by satin as a last finish coat similar to the older way of laying down a few coats of gloss oil varnish as a prime coat cause it penetrates best without the flatteners.
Wonder if it will spray as is through my 390 aaa? Not sure I want to use my hvlp gravity gun for my whole trim package..
been spraying 50/50 shellac - methyl hydrate as my sealer on the fir followed by spraying 2 coats oil wiping stain i part stain -3 parts laquer thinner. after 24 hours i was then spraying my clears without any barrier coat and no problems.
As with Deans question.... have you had any reactions using the wb varathane next day over an oil stain?
Thanks for the info.
crownislandpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View Mike's QP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
How well does it stick to oil stains and with how long of a dry on the stain? Any fisheyes over the stains after a 1 night daytime, ever?
I'm not sure if this is refering to the kemaqua plus or the varathane, if it is about the kemaqua I have not had any fisheye, I have even touched up stain on small areas and even whole panels and finished them within an hour with no ill effects, I can't even find the areas after install
Mike's QP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None