Compressor for pressure pot: Makita or Rigid? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View paddydaddy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Compressor for pressure pot: Makita or Rigid?

Planning to spray out some doors, casings and baseboards with waterbournes (mostly latex and some stain)
I got a Lemmer 2.25 quart pressure pot with a couple of tips (including the 2.0 recommended to do waterbournes). The gun specs say 4-10 cfm (@ 60 psi)
I am considering two different compressors (unless a bunch of you tell me I'm out of my mind):
1. Makita 2.5 HP Air Compressor - 4.2 Gallon (4.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI)
or
2. RIDGID 5-Gallon Mini Wheelbarrow Air Compressor (claimed 4.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI, even though it's only 1.5 HP)

It did not escape me that both of these units are at the low end of meeting the specs of the gun. Is this going to be an issue? Anyone have experience with this kind of set up?
thanks!
paddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
RIP 2017

Rewards Points: 500
View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

For air compressors, I would recommend purchasing double what you think you might need. At the very least 1.5 times what you need.

One of my compressors is the Maxus EX8000

Rated at 7.6 CFM @ 40 PSI and 6.2 CFM @ 90 PSI

When I use a conventional gun, I hook two twin stack compressors together or use my RolAir wheelbarrow compressor.

There's not much more frustrating than running low on air when shooting w/a conventional.
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VanDamme For This Useful Post:
paddydaddy (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Right!

View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

Neither one of those, choose Rol-Air.

VanDamme is right. Get more compressor than you think you need.
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LOSTinDETAILS For This Useful Post:
paddydaddy (09-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 182
Thanked 8,654 Times in 4,039 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I have an old style piston oil upright compressor. Heavier than the oil-less, but easy to move due to it being on wheels, "dolly style". Maintaining a constant, steady, pressure is important to me.
paddydaddy (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Handle with care

Rewards Points: 150
View TDTD's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDamme View Post
For air compressors, I would recommend purchasing double what you think you might need. At the very least 1.5 times what you need.

When I use a conventional gun, I hook two twin stack compressors together or use my RolAir wheelbarrow compressor.

There's not much more frustrating than running low on air when shooting w/a conventional.
Along the lines of VD's comments, I run my Makita in series with a 5 gallon receiver tank at max pressure (about 130 psi), then reg down to working pressure from there. Less than ideal but for the amount of spraying I'm doing adding the reservoir gives me a lot more time before I'm out of air and have to stop for a minute for the pump to catch up.

The other thing the receiver is good for is when I need a little air to fire a few brads into some trim I don't have to drag my heavy compressor or a mile of hose up several flights of stairs.

Every day is an adventure...enjoy today and look forward to tomorrow!
TDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TDTD For This Useful Post:
paddydaddy (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

from a service center perspective be advised that most Ridgid air compressors are made by a company called Campbell Hausfeld. They have a one year warranty but if they find out you are using it in a commercial application they knock the warranty down to 90 days and you dont know until it is to late. I agree with all get more than you need and I especially agree with "lostinthedetails" rol-air is #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.fixit For This Useful Post:
paddydaddy (09-29-2010), VanDamme (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

thanks you guys! Of course it never feels good to learn I have dish out more money than I thought, but heck of a lot better at this stage than halfway through a door.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
RIP 2017

View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fixit View Post
from a service center perspective be advised that most Ridgid air compressors are made by a company called Campbell Hausfeld. They have a one year warranty but if they find out you are using it in a commercial application they knock the warranty down to 90 days and you dont know until it is to late. I agree with all get more than you need and I especially agree with "lostinthedetails" rol-air is #1
I believe the Maxus is also made by Campbell Hausfeld? Can you confirm that?
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #9

Default Change of direction!

Ok, so I've scrapped the compressor idea, returned the pot and got myself a t90 HVLP 4 turbine unit from Lemmer. Swapped out the metal pot for a 950 ml bladder pot to get more mobility. Then later if I'm really impressed, I'll get the cart for it with the 2.5 gallon pot (which will hold the paint can inside nice and snug) and the mini compressor to feed the pot. Maybe also a whip hose extension to cool that air down if I want to do some waterbourne laquers.
tried it out in the yard this evening with a P&L semi-gloss latex (about 15% water) on cardboard and was duly impressed. It's so friggin quiet! cleanup took about 5 minutes max and the footprint is about 1 cubic foot.[IMG]
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #10

View Retired's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddydaddy View Post
Ok, so I've scrapped the compressor idea, returned the pot and got myself a t90 HVLP 4 turbine unit from Lemmer. Swapped out the metal pot for a 950 ml bladder pot to get more mobility. Then later if I'm really impressed, I'll get the cart for it with the 2.5 gallon pot (which will hold the paint can inside nice and snug) and the mini compressor to feed the pot. Maybe also a whip hose extension to cool that air down if I want to do some waterbourne laquers.
tried it out in the yard this evening with a P&L semi-gloss latex (about 15% water) on cardboard and was duly impressed. It's so friggin quiet! cleanup took about 5 minutes max and the footprint is about 1 cubic foot.[IMG]
Nice rig! Is that a package deal with the visc funnel, extra projection set and pint cup?

A whip is a really great thing to have on any HVLP rig. One will increase the range of motion and take the strain off wrists and forearm muscles. They do not cool the air. If there was one that was maybe 60' long it might..

IMO either of those compressors you posted have sufficient capacity to work just fine with the materials you listed. Increasing the capacity of a given compressor by half or double would mean lots of bucks and probably a sore back hauling one around.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 380
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

I am with Retired. I haven't spray with a cup in years unless it is a little touch up gun.
David

Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Retired;165264]Nice rig! Is that a package deal with the visc funnel, extra projection set and pint cup?
Yup. 1,198 bucks, plus GST. (that's with the 50 bucks add on for swapping out the regular pot with a 3M bladder pot. well worth it IMO)
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Do people still "time" paint?

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #14

View Retired's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Do people still "time" paint?
Amateurs usually don't. Professionals usually do.

Then again some amateurs do and some professionals don't OTOH some professionals and some amateurs don't and some professionals and amateurs do. Semi-pros and semi-amateurs are a tossup and a good subject for a poll. (IMO)

I hope my answer covers all the bases and the middle of the road so no one gets all pissy about information that is usually on the paint can, in the tech sheets and in the instructions for use of HVLP and conventional rigs.

Beats guessing IMO, but I never did care much for callbacks.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

^lol..

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None