Corner Standoffs.. what are you using? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Corner Standoffs.. what are you using?

There are 2 kinds I found on Amazon.

The ladder buddy:
http://www.amazon.com/Qualcraft-2470-Corner-Aluminum-Stabilizer/dp/B0000224LP/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1320014384&sr=1-1
And the Multi-Pro for corners:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Pro-corners-ladder-stand-off-stabilizer/dp/B003NFJ8S4/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1320014384&sr=1-4

I like the second one better, but have no clue how it attaches, or what height of ladder it fits. The first is cheaper, but it is a round metal tubing.. It did get great reviews, just not sure how safe a round tube is in this type of application.

Anyone have either of these 2, or a different setup? I NEED a corner setup. Especially on all the wood sided chimneys I rebuild.

-Nathan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Okay the first is actually tube (rounded square) tubing.. I saw another pic of it. I just ordered it to try it out. I need one. I will write a product review for it. I will post it up when I get a chance to use it.

-Nathan

Last edited by nEighter; 10-30-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,326
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

I would have bought the second one. If it were convenient, like at a store I would get one.

Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I actually like the second one. It just looks like it will secure to the ladder better.

Never had one myself Nate, so I can't recommend one myself. But I would hazard a guess that Werner makes a good one.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

I have the first one works pretty good

|
|
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReNt A PaInTeR For This Useful Post:
nEighter (10-30-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
TERRY365

Rewards Points: 502
View TERRY365PAINTER's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah I have the corner buddy too.
The brackets get all messed up after awhile . But I was using it for a regular
Stand off ! For awhile . Its works good
Safe my butt a few times . Specially trying to paint that last 2 or 3 ft of fascia . On a corner .
TERRY365PAINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I threw a ladder max (round one) away.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,068
Thanked 9,608 Times in 5,459 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I like the second one too because of the extensions and accessories. It's also OSHA compliant and ANSI tested

http://stores.buyladder-max.com/-str.../lmmp/Page.bok
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

I have the corner buddy and use it only when I need too, not comfortable with the way it connects to the ladder, but in a pinch it works...

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAK-Deco For This Useful Post:
nEighter (01-02-2012)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
I threw a ladder max (round one) away.
what didn't you like about it? I have the regular ladder max and wouldn't trade it for the world best standoff I have used over the last 20 years...

Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Not Junior Member

Rewards Points: 152
View Softy's Photo Album My Photos

On the first one I would put one more bracket in the middle to prevent it from collapse inward. I use multipurpose ladder. It doesn't need stabilizer and is far more safer. I don't make much money to be messing around with safety.
Softy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softy View Post
On the first one I would put one more bracket in the middle to prevent it from collapse inward. I use multipurpose ladder. It doesn't need stabilizer and is far more safer. I don't make much money to be messing around with safety.
but would it wrap a corner that's what we are talking about here not regular stand-offs

Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #13

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I've used one of the former kind before. It's solidly constructed - although not meant for a quick change like the second type. Altogether - I hate those corner standoff tools. They will scare the bananna peels out of you as you climb towards the top. They constantly shift around and move on you. They just don't find their 'happy' spot and stay put, last time I had to grab onto the side of the building to keep the ladder from twisting off towards one side. And then practically slide down the ladder to get off of it, once I was done doing something. My advice is get a real heavy duty, real heavy fiberglass ladder - the heavier the better, it will stay put the best.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK-Deco View Post
what didn't you like about it? I have the regular ladder max and wouldn't trade it for the world best standoff I have used over the last 20 years...

Mostly it was old, the rubber feet were gone. Got it when I took over the business. Never really liked it as much as the Werner but it did get the job done.

If I didn't get rid of it, some dummy would use it and screw up a job. Easier to get rid of it than to have occasional conniptions.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,068
Thanked 9,608 Times in 5,459 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
I've used one of the former kind before. It's solidly constructed - although not meant for a quick change like the second type. Altogether - I hate those corner standoff tools. They will scare the bananna peels out of you as you climb towards the top. They constantly shift around and move on you. They just don't find their 'happy' spot and stay put, last time I had to grab onto the side of the building to keep the ladder from twisting off towards one side. And then practically slide down the ladder to get off of it, once I was done doing something. My advice is get a real heavy duty, real heavy fiberglass ladder - the heavier the better, it will stay put the best.
Type 1A aluminum ladders are pretty stout. I've been purchasing the Louisvilles, they're rated up to 300 lbs, and are a lot heavier then the Type 2 Werners. Also, ladder jacks are not recommended on fiberglass extension ladders.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Not Junior Member

Rewards Points: 152
View Softy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK-Deco View Post
but would it wrap a corner that's what we are talking about here not regular stand-offs
Yes it will. The 1st step is steeper and wider than regular ext ladder so it can wrap the corner and acts as stabilizer. Now if it has rain gutter or pipe I can tilt the ladder to one side or I've to work on one corner at a time. Honestly, I didn't know they sell corner standoff until seeing your post.
Softy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #17
ARC
Painting in Toronto

Rewards Points: 75
View ARC's Photo Album My Photos

Such a device could probably be built fairly easily, out of wood even.
something that just "widens" the corner and fits snugly onto the ladder would work for most applications... Ill get working on a design!

Another thing I've "seen" done is to use one ladder stabilizer/arm. You put the "armless" side of the ladder on the corner of the house and the arm resting on one wall. This is actually quite stable, and allows that extra needed reach to the corner of soffits, etc.
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #18

Only used it one time for the chimney job, but it worked SOLIDLY! Seriously, it gripped right on and I had NO problem with it. It enabled me to get to the inside corner (over the roofline) where I would not be able to get any other way. I will be doing up a review for it.. watch for it.. or I will update the tread with it when I am finished.

So 2 thumbs up from me on the corner buddy

The Following User Says Thank You to nEighter For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (01-02-2012)

Tags
None