Door Rack Painter - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree20Likes

Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View lovasnj's Photo Album My Photos
Default Door Rack Painter

Thinking about picking up one of the Door Rack Painter systems http://www.doorrackpainter.com.

Wondering what people think of them and/or other systems people like.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lovasnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,002
Thanked 5,060 Times in 2,879 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Love it! Imho there's no better system for painting cabinet doors other than having a hanger system at a shop. I suggest buying two dry racks and one spray. That'll cover you for 39 cabinet doors which is plenty for the majority of jobs.

The ability to do both sides at the same time saves you so much time it'll pay for itself after a couple jobs.
lovasnj and Chuck the painter like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (08-19-2016), PRC (08-19-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 01:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,056
Thanked 1,006 Times in 639 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I bought the system and thought it was going to be great, but...

The problem I had was when you set the doors on the little round posts, they do leave a slight indentation, four of them on each door. Since you never can put the door the same way twice or thrice, you end up with lots of little indentation marks on the backs of the doors. Also you have to wipe the rods on the spray rack for each door. To me it was a pain in the butt. I like the erekta rack system, but you can only do one side at a time.
Chuck the painter likes this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (08-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,002
Thanked 5,060 Times in 2,879 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
I bought the system and thought it was going to be great, but...

The problem I had was when you set the doors on the little round posts, they do leave a slight indentation, four of them on each door. Since you never can put the door the same way twice or thrice, you end up with lots of little indentation marks on the backs of the doors. Also you have to wipe the rods on the spray rack for each door. To me it was a pain in the butt. I like the erekta rack system, but you can only do one side at a time.
I've never had a problem with indentation marks but the is a tiny spot that makes contact leaving you with a dot without paint. Only two of those spot are ever visible, the other two are hidden my the hinge side or not seen from underneath or above. The second coat covers the tiny dot, I've never had a problem with it making a mark that needed to be sanded or anything. I'm normally using either breakthrough or SW MSA spraying thinner coats, that could be the difference.

Yes you do have to quickly wipe the spray rack after each door, but having to wait for paint to dry and spray 4 times instead of twice is way more time consuming.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (09-02-2016), lovasnj (08-20-2016), PRC (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:30 AM   #5

View Chuck the painter's Photo Album My Photos

I like mine for cabinet doors. They make me money. I use door deckers for larger items.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Chuck the painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck the painter For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (09-02-2016), [email protected] (02-24-2017), lovasnj (08-29-2016)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

Update: Just talked to Jake the owner of doorackpainter. Great guy, always gets back to me & has good spray advice. I've done 6 cabinet jobs with my set and I'm going to add another set next month.

[email protected] likes this.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #7

View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

I have one. I used to own his original 3/8" galvanized pipe style dry racks, but then I built a 3/4" pipe duplicate from his 3/8" design due to a design flaw. Looks like he is using a square stock now?...

I rarely use the drying racks (i have two sets) for drying anymore. instead, I use one set to hold a 5' bar and I spray my doors hanging with it, then transfer them to a drying rm that can hold approx 40-60 doors. I have the spray rack and use it occasionally.

If I'm in a pinch for space and I have to paint cabinet doors on site, I use the whole system but that is rare now-adays as I prefer the simplicity of my shop system.

I use DoorDeckers for man doors and the Erecta-Rack (only for drying) for one sided projects. These two are some of my favorite tools.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-24-2017 at 01:09 AM..
Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have one. I used to own his original 3/8" galvanized pipe style dry racks, but then I built a 3/4" pipe duplicate from his 3/8" design due to a design flaw. Looks like he is using a square stock now?...

I rarely use the drying racks (i have two sets) for drying anymore. instead, I use one set to hold a 5' bar and I spray my doors hanging with it, then transfer them to a drying rm that can hold approx 40-60 doors. I have the spray rack and use it occasionally.

If I'm in a pinch for space and I have to paint cabinet doors on site, I use the whole system but that is rare now-adays as I prefer the simplicity of my shop system.

I use DoorDeckers for man doors and the Erecta-Rack (only for drying) for one sided projects. These two are some of my favorite tools.
Are you drilling the top of the doors and installing hooks?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck the painter View Post
Are you drilling the top of the doors and installing hooks?

No. I can't do that (as in; I can't justify puting holes in perfectly good doors) . I have other methods of hanging cabinet doors (depending on the hinge style). I had pictures of one style and how I hung it, but it's stubbornly hidden some where... And it's too hard to explain.. If this pic is ever found, ill post it.

found the pic.....

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-07-2017 at 01:18 AM..
Old 03-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #10

Chuck the painter and AngieM like this.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

I am also curious about this system or something similar. I have a rather large cabinet job coming in 2 weeks and I would rather not hang the doors like im use to doing due to the laborish touching up of the hook holes (44 cabinet doors and drawers, 2 hooks each means 88 holes to bondo and touch up)

Im thinking a standard cabinet dry rack is my best bet, setting freshly painted surfaces on the dry rack rods doesnt sit to easy with me. I am more curious into this rack system, though the price point is on the expensive side. http://www.fastrackequipment.com/products.html
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSistersPainting View Post
I am also curious about this system or something similar. I have a rather large cabinet job coming in 2 weeks and I would rather not hang the doors like im use to doing due to the laborish touching up of the hook holes (44 cabinet doors and drawers, 2 hooks each means 88 holes to bondo and touch up)

Im thinking a standard cabinet dry rack is my best bet, setting freshly painted surfaces on the dry rack rods doesnt sit to easy with me. I am more curious into this rack system, though the price point is on the expensive side. http://www.fastrackequipment.com/products.html
Hanging them is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Gotta figure your system without putting holes in them.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I've never hung cabinet doors to paint myself, I like spraying them flat and having gravity working for me in leveling the film. I can see the advantage though.

With regards to hanging them, if you used small screws with hooks or rings and only screwed into the top of the upper doors and the bottoms of the lower doors, would you really have to fill the holes? Seems like small holes in those locations would never be seen under normal circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

They can be felt when dusting and cleaning even if they aren't seen. The wood around the screw hole usually sticks out and paint and primer can create build up.

If it's the backside of a drawer front that is covered over when installed, then it's cool.

A lot of us are dealing with nice cabinets, nice homes, and we all want to and have to provide a quality service. So when I was tasked by my company to prime and paint all the new custom cabinets in a 5000 sq ft house, by myself, I was accountable and tried to leave no room for oversights. They were raw poplar, shaker style with rounded edges. There were 85 pieces to do and they got two coats of lacquer undercoater, and two coats of oil satin impervo.
I had two bedrooms to work in and I figured a way of prepping them, priming and spraying in one room and making a 8x8 drying rack that held all except a few drawer fronts that were attached to the boxes still. Like 80 pieces all hung on wire, on some 2x3 set-ups I brought. Put them on edge and they don't bow... I used no hooks, just drywall screws using existing hinge holes without damaging them.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #15

I always place the hooks on an inconspicuous edge, bottom or tops of the cabinet edges depending how they hang. I've tried to come up with a method to use the hinge holes but they take up a lot of space when hanging.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Judging by the many creative homemade setups here I'm guessing that no one knows about these.....
http://www.rockler.com/sure-hooktrade-360-12-pack

We use these combined with the door rack painter to meet all our needs.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #17

The reviews i've read for ^that hook is mixed with bad and good experiences. They say where the metal hook meets the plastic is where they are prone to breaking. I have read a review where this has failed and the door fell. definitely a cool idea, they just need to make it all metal and charge a little more.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos

After using cabinet deckers by the door deckers company, for many projects we have decided to switch to this system. To much time spent on assembling and afterwards filling in screw holes touching up.
We just used our door racks for the first time, on Friday and Saturday. Primer and first coat of Advance on Friday. Second coat of Advance on Saturday.
I noticed small little lines on backs of doors after we set up to spray second coat. I believe that if these small little lines are what to expect after each coat I'll take it. A couple of seconds of touch up per door instead of several minutes per door set up through final touch up.
Per project those extra hours will add up quickly.
Imo this system will work well if done correctly like the videos.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #19

You have to think ahead & plan the proper width for setting up the doorackpainter. Also, it becomes second nature to wipe the spray rack rods down after you get in a familiar rhythm when spraying.

Tags
None