Exterior Oil Paint for Trim - Help - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View courtsmall's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior Oil Paint for Trim - Help

Thank you for any advice you can give me. I am an Interior Designer and my contractor had given me a bid to paint the exterior of a project. We had agreed to use Benjamin Moore Oil Base Primer and Paint for the Woodwork on a 1930's house in Los Angeles. He called me today and said he was doing research and found a new Glidden exterior oil paint that would work just as well. It is only sold at Home Depot or Walmart. Does anyone have any experience with this paint. I have a terror of a client and don't want to do anything that isn't top notch for him.

Best,
Courtney
courtsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to courtsmall For This Useful Post:
sl33k_design (07-03-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

A few questions for you first.
How did you select your painting contractor? What were your decision factors?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View courtsmall's Photo Album My Photos

Well, I am in a bit of a bind. I have a painter inside that I have used for years, and am working with a GC on the project that I have worked with for years. The GC insisted on doing the exterior work as his bid already included the paint on new decks and balconies. My trusted painter uses Benjamin Moore oil for the wood and would use that on the exterior. The GC wants to use the Glidden.
courtsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

At about 25-30 bucks cheaper per gallon I am sure he does want to use Glidden. The GC ultimately responsible for what is applied so let him worry about it and you just pick the colors.
Andyman (11-28-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

Use your trusted source.

The GC will charge you the same but make more with cheaper product.

I also assume when you say oil paint for exterior trim, you mean oil primer with an acrylic topcoat?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
Not Junior Member

Rewards Points: 152
View Softy's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know anything about BM oil paint. Glidden oil, however, is suck. If you like painting the house with canola oil mix with color then go at it.

Honestly, I don't think there's any good oil base "residential" paint due to no VOC and low VOC regulation. You would be better off using high VOC waterbase paint. IMO
Softy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 12
View smithoman's Photo Album My Photos
Default oil based primer

The Ben Moore primers are the most expensive and are way over priced. Also, since oil based primers get about 450 sq feet per gallon, how much is this guy expecting to save? I am a big Zinnser oil fan and it only costs $20/gallon.

It is important to use an oil based primer if you are going over raw wood and there is a bleed through situation, the acrylics will bleed and bleed.

I have never heard of Glidden oil based primer and I cannot believe that California allows its sale. Something seems wrong there. Tell the guy to cough up for what he bid. 5 Gallons of oil primer will paint around 2,000 sq feet and if he cheaps out he may save a hundred bux? Sounds lame at best. If it was me, I would use the zinnser oil. It's rock solid as a primer.
smithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

You should not be using oil top coat on an exterior
straight_lines (12-19-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtsmall View Post
Thank you for any advice you can give me. I am an Interior Designer and my contractor had given me a bid to paint the exterior of a project. We had agreed to use Benjamin Moore Oil Base Primer and Paint for the Woodwork on a 1930's house in Los Angeles. He called me today and said he was doing research and found a new Glidden exterior oil paint that would work just as well. It is only sold at Home Depot or Walmart. Does anyone have any experience with this paint. I have a terror of a client and don't want to do anything that isn't top notch for him.

Best,
Courtney
What's the reason for the oil top coat ? Does your GC actually know anything about paint ?
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 530
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos

The only failure I have had so far to go back and fix since I started my business was trim done in Oil. It is brittle, and conditions have to be quite favorable to apply it.

There are so many latex 100% acrylic high quality paint options in all price ranges that are suitable for properly prepared trim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is actually Coby, Dunbar is the community I live in!
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar Painting View Post
The only failure I have had so far to go back and fix since I started my business was trim done in Oil. It is brittle, and conditions have to be quite favorable to apply it.

There are so many latex 100% acrylic high quality paint options in all price ranges that are suitable for properly prepared trim.
Exactly my thoughts.. I'm sooooooo glad the ext oil part of my business is history.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtsmall View Post
Well, I am in a bit of a bind. I have a painter inside that I have used for years, and am working with a GC on the project that I have worked with for years. The GC insisted on doing the exterior work as his bid already included the paint on new decks and balconies. My trusted painter uses Benjamin Moore oil for the wood and would use that on the exterior. The GC wants to use the Glidden.
The Glidden product you are talking about is Oil base with GEL-FLOW technology. It is an interior/exterior paint and it is high gloss only. It only comes in 8 colors. It is not tintable. The product sells for $18 ish per quart and only comes in quarts. The product is too new to have any history behind it at this time. I have the stuff here, been using it but I am not in a position to give you my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 40
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,810 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

That gladden gel stuff is met for front doors and that type of stuff only.

For oil on exterior, it would work better in Cal. than areas that have greater temperature swings (cold is hard on brittle coatings). Still would stick with acrylic for color retention.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
That gladden gel stuff is met for front doors and that type of stuff only.

For oil on exterior, it would work better in Cal. than areas that have greater temperature swings (cold is hard on brittle coatings). Still would stick with acrylic for color retention.
I don't know what the new GelCoat is like but years ago we did a house ext with it. My gawd what horrible stuff to use.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

If the job was speced for a particular product and it was agreed on with signed contracts the only reason for changes should be due to availability.

If the contractor agreed to the product and then tried to save a small amount of money by changing products then it may be reason for concern.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Bender (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Sup!

Rewards Points: 250
View prototype66's Photo Album My Photos

Any GC that insists on using Walmart or Home Depot paint is not a GC I want to do business with.

or

prototype66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype66 View Post
Any GC that insists on using Walmart or Home Depot paint is not a GC I want to do business with.
Unless you're in Colorado

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

It should be noted that mildew LOVES oil paint. I had a customer a few years ago that let me use Superpaint on the siding but insisted on SW SWP on the trim. All that trim is now covered in mildew and has noticeably faded whereas the siding still looks great. You might use this information when speaking to the GC
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #19
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=jack pauhl;272943]The Glidden product you are talking about is Oil base with GEL-FLOW technology. It is an interior/exterior paint and it is high gloss only. It only comes in 8 colors. It is not tintable. The product sells for $18 ish per quart and only comes in quarts. The product is too new to have any history behind it at this time. I have the stuff here, been using it but I am not in a position to give you my opinion.[/QUOTE]

really?

Tags
None