Festool Planex NA Available 03/01/12 - Page 2 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Paint to fish

 
DeanV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 9,372
Rewards Points: 26
Thanks: 956
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Siding age would have been late 70's or early 80's.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,818
Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

A possible RRP job then.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #23
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Ok, let me see if I can address at least some of what's been posted.

First, the Planex does have a vac that has been designed specifically for use with it, the CT 36 AutoClean (or AC for short). This vac does not have HEPA filter. A HEPA filter would clog too quickly with the massive amounts of dust produced by the Planex. So, the AutoClean has an integrated filter cleaning mechanism that knocks the dust loose periodically.

I'm not sure whether the Planex would work with exterior paint. To be honest, I'm still building my paint chops and have a lot to learn. Since I don't have any specific experience using it for such, nor have I read anything about such an application, I don't have anything to offer on the topic.

You guys are getting the first peek at this site, which goes over some of the benefits of the Planex and the CT AutoClean. Please note that I have not had the content proofed for accuracy, grammar, etc. so keep that in mind. There are videos of the Planex and the CT AC on the site, which is only a single page right now.

http://www.sanderfordrywall.com/

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. Both the Planex and CT AC will be available from dealers who choose to preorder inventory in time for that date. Check with your preferred Festool dealer for availability.

I should also mention there will be a package with the Planex and CT AC that will offer a $75 savings (in the US) at participating dealers.

Enjoy the videos, post your questions.

Shane
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shofestoolusa For This Useful Post:
RCP (02-10-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
RCP
Senior Member
 
RCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwestern Utah
Posts: 12,314
Rewards Points: 78
Thanks: 4,400
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Wow, that looks awesome, will you have one in Vegas?
__________________
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Oh yes, it will be in Vegas with plenty of (probably very poorly applied) mud to sand.
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shofestoolusa For This Useful Post:
RCP (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I've created a thread on the Festool Owners Group forum with FAQs about the Planex and CT AutoClean which may answer a lot of the questions that you might have. If you still have questions, please feel free to post them here or on the FOG and I'll get you the answers.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...d-ct-autoclean

Thanks.

Shane
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shofestoolusa For This Useful Post:
Dunbar Painting (02-14-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View Tim Lorenson's Photo Album My Photos
Default Usefull info

I started using the dust deputy dust separator from Oneda for sanding drywall, grinding concrete, etc. keeps 99% dust out of vac. Have both PC and Festool vacuums.
The Festool Rotex works well for exterior paint removal. I have used it to resurface decks and exterior trim.
Something to try on T1-11, is Pittsburg wood Permanizer. I have used this on delaminating siding that I would have replaced in the past. It is a low viscosity urethane acrylic resin which soaks into and behind the peeling paint and delaminating plywood. It fills the voids and prevents water from entering the wood, even if the primer or paint cracks. It also glues everything together and hardens the surface. I follow this with Glidden Gripper, which creates a solid film and bridges voids in the siding.
The Permanizer is also great for sealing end cuts on wood. As you apply it, you can watch it soak into the end grain.
I do dryrot repair and this combination of products lets me sleep at night knowing that my repairs will hold for a long, long time.
Hope this helps,
Tim Lorenson
Tim Lorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
mpminter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 953
Rewards Points: 572
Thanks: 302
Thanked 513 Times in 286 Posts
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Shane,
I like sanding walls before painting to remove old roller fibers, drips, debris stuck in the old paint, heavy stipple, etc. Obviously on older homes the EPA RRP rules come into effect, and a HEPA vac is required. Can this tool be attached to one of the regular HEPA rated Festool extractors for a purpose such as this?
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpminter View Post
Shane,
I like sanding walls before painting to remove old roller fibers, drips, debris stuck in the old paint, heavy stipple, etc. Obviously on older homes the EPA RRP rules come into effect, and a HEPA vac is required. Can this tool be attached to one of the regular HEPA rated Festool extractors for a purpose such as this?
The short answer is yes. The Planex can be used with one of our CT HEPA Dust Extractors.

The longer answer is that the HEPA filter is going to probably become caked with the extremely fine drywall dust particles over time, and it will depending on the extent to which you use it for drywall applications. That means you would need to replace the filter more frequently. The reason is that drywall dust ranges in size down to 1 micron, ultra-fine. The filter bag filters down to 5 microns. That leaves the most fine particles to travel through the filter bag, which acts as a primary filter under normal circumstances, on to the HEPA filter where it's captured. Because that dust is so fine and the pleats on the HEPA filter are very tight, the filter becomes clogged and caked with the dust. The CT AutoClean overcomes this because it uses a more heavy-duty filter with nearly half the number of pleats, making it easier for the dust to fall back out of the filter during the periodic cleaning process.

The Planex is capable of producing massive amounts of dust very, very quickly. So, if you sanding large areas with a HEPA filter installed, you might need to replace the filter very frequently.

So, basically, you'd need to replace the HEPA filter more frequently. For RRP work, it's recommended that it be replaced pretty frequently away and disposed of in a manner prescribed by the RRP guidelines. I would advise against attempting to manually clean a HEPA filter which has been contaminated from RRP use.

The CT AutoClean should not be used for RRP work.

Shane
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Westview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 725
Rewards Points: 516
Thanks: 543
Thanked 142 Times in 106 Posts
View Westview's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofestoolusa View Post
The short answer is yes. The Planex can be used with one of our CT HEPA Dust Extractors.

The longer answer is that the HEPA filter is going to probably become caked with the extremely fine drywall dust particles over time, and it will depending on the extent to which you use it for drywall applications. That means you would need to replace the filter more frequently. The reason is that drywall dust ranges in size down to 1 micron, ultra-fine. The filter bag filters down to 5 microns. That leaves the most fine particles to travel through the filter bag, which acts as a primary filter under normal circumstances, on to the HEPA filter where it's captured. Because that dust is so fine and the pleats on the HEPA filter are very tight, the filter becomes clogged and caked with the dust. The CT AutoClean overcomes this because it uses a more heavy-duty filter with nearly half the number of pleats, making it easier for the dust to fall back out of the filter during the periodic cleaning process.

The Planex is capable of producing massive amounts of dust very, very quickly. So, if you sanding large areas with a HEPA filter installed, you might need to replace the filter very frequently.

So, basically, you'd need to replace the HEPA filter more frequently. For RRP work, it's recommended that it be replaced pretty frequently away and disposed of in a manner prescribed by the RRP guidelines. I would advise against attempting to manually clean a HEPA filter which has been contaminated from RRP use.

The CT AutoClean should not be used for RRP work.

Shane
Will it work on latex walls?
Westview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westview View Post
Will it work on latex walls?
Yes, there's should be no issues with using it on latex walls. Was there a specific concern you had?
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Westview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 725
Rewards Points: 516
Thanks: 543
Thanked 142 Times in 106 Posts
View Westview's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofestoolusa View Post
Yes, there's should be no issues with using it on latex walls. Was there a specific concern you had?
I'm looking at going dustless on residential repaints and using it as an advertising tool to homeowners. I need a sander that will sand latex interior walls to prep the surface for top coat paint. I understand festool has other hand sanders that hook up to a shop vac. This method would seem like it would take forever. The planex has a large sanding face and is also on a a pole. It seems like it would be much faster and easier then using your standard palm sander. What do you think?
Westview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westview View Post
I'm looking at going dustless on residential repaints and using it as an advertising tool to homeowners. I need a sander that will sand latex interior walls to prep the surface for top coat paint. I understand festool has other hand sanders that hook up to a shop vac. This method would seem like it would take forever. The planex has a large sanding face and is also on a a pole. It seems like it would be much faster and easier then using your standard palm sander. What do you think?
I don't see where it would be an issue whatsoever. The abrasives used with the PLANEX are also suitable for painted surfaces.

The benefits of dust-free tools are definitely a good marketing strategy for your company and offer a great competitive advantage.

As with any Festool power tool, the PLANEX has a 30-day money back guarantee. Get it, try it, and if it doesn't completely meet your expectations then return it for a refund.

Shane
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,188
Rewards Points: 582
Thanks: 643
Thanked 963 Times in 502 Posts
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westview View Post
I'm looking at going dustless on residential repaints and using it as an advertising tool to homeowners. I need a sander that will sand latex interior walls to prep the surface for top coat paint. I understand festool has other hand sanders that hook up to a shop vac. This method would seem like it would take forever. The planex has a large sanding face and is also on a a pole. It seems like it would be much faster and easier then using your standard palm sander. What do you think?
We've been using the orbital RS 2E half sheet sander for occupied repaints as necessary. It works great. Some say it is heavy, but I do not find that to be the case. Can't put it on a pole though, although realistically, we are not doing a lot of sanding previously painted walls above arms reach. I wouldn't necessarily use it to sand new drywall all day though. The new Planex would be the way to go there.
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #35
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Aaron,

Sorry I missed the other thread with the conversation where you expressed concerns about swirl marks on latex paint. The Planex is not a random orbital sander, but it shouldn't produce swirl marks. The caveat is that you you shouldn't use a really low grit abrasive, 80 or below. At those grits, you may get more of noticeable scratch pattern. But, it sounds like you'll be working with higher grits just to prep the surface for paint. Use the highest grit possible that will accomplish the goal. It's better to start high and realize you need to go lower than to create extra work by starting too low. I hope that makes sense and helps to clarify the issue. I wish I had personal experience using it on paint so I had a more definitive testimony.

Shane
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Leave your competition in the dust.
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,818
Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofestoolusa View Post
I wish I had personal experience using it on paint so I had a more definitive testimony.

Shane
You and me both.

I agree the swirls would more than likely be caused from improper grit or operator error such as pushing.

Shame you do not have a cured demo wall to try it on in Vegas.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #37
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
You and me both.
Shame you do not have a cured demo wall to try it on in Vegas.
No, not at the show, but we have a training center there with cured painted walls. Sorry, Steve. (our trainer in Vegas). Looks like we may have to scuff his walls up a bit to try it out and get a solid answer and photos.

Scott will be there, I'll see if he can help reproduce the exact techniques you guys would use and report back.

Shane
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Leave your competition in the dust.
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shofestoolusa For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,818
Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofestoolusa View Post
No, not at the show, but we have a training center there with cured painted walls. Sorry, Steve. (our trainer in Vegas). Looks like we may have to scuff his walls up a bit to try it out and get a solid answer and photos.

Scott will be there, I'll see if he can help reproduce the exact techniques you guys would use and report back.

Shane
I forgot about the Vegas training center. I saw it when I was looking over the workshops. Any plans for a paint related one in the future? Vegas or Indiana?

Scott is a lucky guy.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #39
Festool Power Tools
 
shofestoolusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 106
Rewards Points: 81
Thanks: 22
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
View shofestoolusa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Sean, I would imagine that we'll add training curricula that are geared toward paint professionals, but I would expect this might be something that would happen later in the year since it will take time to put together the topics, materials and specifics of the class(es).
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Leave your competition in the dust.
shofestoolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,818
Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofestoolusa View Post
Sean, I would imagine that we'll add training curricula that are geared toward paint professionals, but I would expect this might be something that would happen later in the year since it will take time to put together the topics, materials and specifics of the class(es).
Sound good, I will keep an eye out for them.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
extractor, festool, planex, sander

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
festool LS 130 Dunbar Painting Tools, Supplies and Equipment 11 01-22-2012 01:19 PM
festool pricing 1963 Sovereign General Painting Discussion 98 01-21-2012 05:21 PM
how to market your new festool set up? Dunbar Painting Business, Marketing, and Sales 17 12-18-2011 12:47 PM
Festool Vacs and RRP shofestoolusa Lead Paint Discussion 5 12-15-2011 04:05 PM
thinking about festool Dunbar Painting General Painting Discussion 3 10-17-2011 10:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com