Festool Sanders Advice - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree30Likes

Old 09-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60
View tomaszg's Photo Album My Photos
Default Festool Sanders Advice

I need some advice from guys that have been using theses sanders and which ones they like the most ?.I would like to get 2 sander possibly 3 depending on the budget but two should be enough for now. I’m not sure which ones to get ?? Most of my work is residential , lots of small to medium and large spackling and btw I hate to dust and constantly vacuuming , here and there I get about 6 to 8 kitchen cabinets josbs a year and quite few exterior jobs that involve sending especially older windows Thank you
tomaszg is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,318
Thanked 15,580 Times in 8,222 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I only do interior work and got myself the Midi extractor and the DTS 400 (triangular head) sander. I have been very happy with both and so far the 400 has been the only unit I felt I needed (great for getting into corners of window casings). But I easily could have talked myself into getting more. It really depends on what you plan to use it for.

Note - there have been several past threads about Festool on PT but since our search engine sucks, go on Google and enter in Festool and look for articles that have a link to Paint Talk.
tomaszg likes this.

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 09-11-2020 at 12:25 AM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanked 1,053 Times in 684 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Best bet is the RTS from festool, the small rectangle one. And if you do cabinets get the Surfprep 3x4. You will want to invest in sandpaper and pads just like festool, but this will hook up to the festool vac.
tomaszg likes this.
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
King Dude

Thanked 5,153 Times in 2,960 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Well it looks like you're about to get three different answers and I think the reason is location.

If you live in an area with smooth walls your first sander should definitely be an ets 125, I've found 120 granat paper to be the best for it. Sounds too rough I know but I promise it's not. I can sand drywall patches directly over my head and not have a spec of dust fall on me, it's a game changer. Be sure to market it to your customers, I've gotten a lot of jobs over other cheaper painters because I was able to sell the dustless sanding.

For cabinets and trim you can go with a DTS or RTS. Personally I have a DTS and love it, get a box of both 220 and 320 granat paper and you'll be set.

For exterior an RO-90 is a great one to start with because you can switch from the smaller round head to a delta head (triangle) plus you can get a delta head extender for those hard to reach areas. For larger surfaces you can use your ets 125 but you can't get too aggressive with it. If you need more power to rip off coatings or do real heavy duty sanding I'd get the RO-125.

I started with both the ETS and DTS and didn't need anything more for years until I came across an exterior that needed some aggressive sanding which is when I got the RO-90. I rarely use it these days but it's nice to have when the situation calls for it.

As far as duat extractors go I'd really recommend getting the midi. I made the mistake of starting with the CT 26 which I've found to be too cumbersome especially in occupied interiors. After six years I finally replaced it with the midi in the field and now keep the CT 26 in the shop.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
ridesarize and tomaszg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Schmidt & Co. (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
Well it looks like you're about to get three different answers and I think the reason is location.

If you live in an area with smooth walls your first sander should definitely be an ets 125, I've found 120 granat paper to be the best for it. Sounds too rough I know but I promise it's not. I can sand drywall patches directly over my head and not have a spec of dust fall on me, it's a game changer. Be sure to market it to your customers, I've gotten a lot of jobs over other cheaper painters because I was able to sell the dustless sanding.

For cabinets and trim you can go with a DTS or RTS. Personally I have a DTS and love it, get a box of both 220 and 320 granat paper and you'll be set.

For exterior an RO-90 is a great one to start with because you can switch from the smaller round head to a delta head (triangle) plus you can get a delta head extender for those hard to reach areas. For larger surfaces you can use your ets 125 but you can't get too aggressive with it. If you need more power to rip off coatings or do real heavy duty sanding I'd get the RO-125.

I started with both the ETS and DTS and didn't need anything more for years until I came across an exterior that needed some aggressive sanding which is when I got the RO-90. I rarely use it these days but it's nice to have when the situation calls for it.

As far as duat extractors go I'd really recommend getting the midi. I made the mistake of starting with the CT 26 which I've found to be too cumbersome especially in occupied interiors. After six years I finally replaced it with the midi in the field and now keep the CT 26 in the shop.

Yeah, need drives what unit is best to begin with. One of the pluses of Festool is that they have a big range of sanding units so when a specific need arises you can decide whether to pull the trigger or not. One good sized job could justify a purchase IMO.

As for the extractors, a painter buddy of mine initially went with a mini and felt it was way too small. He too got the midi and was much happier with it. I believe he eventually added a CT 26 unit to his line up of shop tools.
tomaszg likes this.

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 09-11-2020 at 10:40 AM..
Old 09-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 696
Thanked 8,445 Times in 4,285 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

This is my exact advise also. I too stared with the CT26 and it’s just too big for my average job. Larger unoccupied jobs it’s perfect, and exteriors where I’m sanding a bunch. Get the midi, the ets 125 and the delta head random orbits. That’s a good start and you can expand from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Festool Sanders Advice-6b6433af-86e2-4622-824f-6e7c29434090.jpg  

tomaszg likes this.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,402
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
. I can sand drywall patches directly over my head and not have a spec of dust fall on me, it's a game changer.

i think that just sold me, unreal. i do lots of interior repaints i wonder if the planex drywall sander would be overkill, i like to give the walls a good scratch but im not into the elbow grease anymore. can the 125 buzz walls or is a bigger unit needed
tomaszg likes this.
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
RH

First time I used my Festool to sand some interior window casings, there was a black lacquered grand piano at the other end of the room. When I was done sanding, there wasn't a speck of dust on that thing. I knew then that the Festool unit was worth what I had paid for it.
vwbowman and tomaszg like this.

Bill Watterson
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Schmidt & Co. (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylum View Post
i think that just sold me, unreal. i do lots of interior repaints i wonder if the planex drywall sander would be overkill, i like to give the walls a good scratch but im not into the elbow grease anymore. can the 125 buzz walls or is a bigger unit needed
I have a planex and if you want to give the walls a full sanding that would be the ticket. It's difficult to use in tight spaces because you need enough room to stand back, empty rooms work best when using a planex, I don't use it all too often. I've sanded entire rooms with the ets and it's time consuming.

Vylum and tomaszg like this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 09-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #10

Well seems like Midi and RTS 400 with 125 plus delta head will cover all my needs for now lol than we go bigger , which 125 do you guys recommend ??and thank you for intense replay about the product. Time to crack that piggy bank lol
Old 09-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #11
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaszg View Post
Well seems like Midi and RTS 400 with 125 plus delta head will cover all my needs for now lol than we go bigger , which 125 do you guys recommend ??and thank you for intense replay about the product. Time to crack that piggy bank lol
I'd skip the RTS and go for the DTS, they're the same exact sanders rts being rectangular and the DTS a delta head which I think is more versatile.

What use for the 125? For interior you'd want an ets125. For exterior a RO125 but you can't swap out to a delta head on it, only the RO90 has the ability to go from round to delta.

tomaszg likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #12

Well than decide to go for DTS 400 REQ and ETS125 REQ paired with midi than next year RO90 and that should be more than enough , maybe some attachments and pads would be nice to have not sure which pad grit to get besides 120?

Last edited by tomaszg; 09-11-2020 at 10:13 PM..
Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:

thx brigs for the advice and seems like DTS and est 125 with midi will be coming soon and but away what other pads besides 120g you recommend to buy ? And both of them I’m assuming are REQ versions ?

Last edited by tomaszg; 09-11-2020 at 10:28 PM..
Old 09-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #14
RH

I have grits ranging from 80 up to 320. You can buy smaller amounts of paper to get an idea of what you may need or prefer. But once you do, buy your paper in the boxed amounts. Much cheaper per piece.
tomaszg likes this.

Bill Watterson
Old 09-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #15

Thanked 1,053 Times in 684 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Its another cost, but the systainers made for the correct sandpaper type are awesome. I have the midi, I run the RTS with 80-220
tomaszg likes this.
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:06 AM   #16

And if going cordless with one sander which one ? Thinking that 125 would be better cordless any input on that ?

Last edited by tomaszg; 09-12-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Old 09-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Its another cost, but the systainers made for the correct sandpaper type are awesome. I have the midi, I run the RTS with 80-220
That systeiner does look very handy
Old 09-12-2020, 01:12 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,450
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

The ETS EC 125/3 EQ is a better sander than the ETS 125 req. Lower height and stable, 3mm stroke compared to 2 mm on the regular ets.

I have the RO150 req, ets 125 req, ets ec 125/3 eq, dts400 req, rts400 eq, ls130.

The dts400 is rad. The ro150 isca beast
Redux and tomaszg like this.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #19
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaszg View Post
And if going cordless with one sander which one ? Thinking that 125 would be better cordless any input on that ?
I've never tinkered with any cordless options. Dust extraction is why festool is worth the price of admission, going cordless takes that benefit out of the equation so I don't really see the point. If you don't get the hose sleeve like shown in Schmidts picture be sure to zip tie the power cord to the hose. Zip ties make the whole operation easier to manage.

As for papers do like RH said buy smaller amounts of different grits. I have a whole range of different grits for each sander but can tell you from experience the 120 on the ets and both 220 and 320 on the DTS are my daily drivers.

I was referring to the req sanders but the ETS EC 125/3 EQ looks interesting. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it's worth the additional cost.

tomaszg likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
RH (09-15-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
The ETS EC 125/3 EQ is a better sander than the ETS 125 req. Lower height and stable, 3mm stroke compared to 2 mm on the regular ets.

I have the RO150 req, ets 125 req, ets ec 125/3 eq, dts400 req, rts400 eq, ls130.

The dts400 is rad. The ro150 isca beast
thx for input but what is rad and isca ??

Tags
None