fruits of labor - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View sagebrush123's Photo Album My Photos
Default fruits of labor

I have had success with a Nissan Frontier pickup truck. I own a 2002 and it has been a real gem and very little repairs. I do the necessary oil changes, plugs etc thru a mechanic.

I like not having to make a car payment. But also find that I may have more motivation when I have commitments.

Work for me is VERY steady with occasional luls at normal times like inclement weather, holiday, late delivery issues, etc. The projections of the next few years look very stable with what is on the menu/forecast NOW. as a matter of fact if I was not terrified and freaked out with the stress and anxiety of having employees--- now would be the time AGAIN to act on expansion. everyone here that has employees, my hat is off to you.

Would I be wise and take the Nissan to its grave and save to get a fat downpayment on a new truck?

Bite the bullet and get a new truck?

anyone drive a Ford Ranger? or Toyota? Nissan?

I prefer a small pickup to the full size.. I would never go full size with gas prices and insurance, I am 5'1 so I look goofy in a full size and parking would be more difficult than maneuvering a small truck.

or maybe this is the time to get a dirt bike? and have some fun.

I hate making decisions, especially when it comes to objects.

would love to hear pros/cons and viewpoints...
sagebrush123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Had a Ford Ranger in the 80's when I was still painting and had a small crew. HATED IT.

Your in Cali so you don't need a covered heated vehicle? Otherwise I would strongly suggest a van.

One piece of advice. As you plan on expanding, do not UNDER buy. Better to have more room than needed than kick yourself in the butt for not having a vehicle that can deal with the growth. And I do agree about gas usage etc. Perhaps a diesel ?

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

A friend of mine uses a ranger with a v8 in it, he swears by them, he is a vinyl guy and tows a big trailer with them that is why he needs the v8.

I am a van guy and downsized to a v6.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I am a van guy and downsized to a v6.
Had two E-250s with the straight six and it was a bulletproof engine. This last time I found out it is no longer made and had to go with the small-block 8.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

What would happen if your truck broke down? Being debt free is great, can you put away a truck payment for 12 months or so? Then get a truck and keep the money in a Money Market Account and still make payments?
Not sure how your company is structured, but it can also be a great deduction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Van all day. I have a truck as well that we still work from. I really want a trailer next, the van needs constant attention or it gets junked so fast. I often have more than just paint tools with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
and keep the money in a Money Market Account and still make payments

Unfortunately. the economy is so freaking bad that even high yield CD's earn less than inflation. When I first opened a MM account (1989) it earned 7%. Now I think they are around .5% (please notice the decimal point in both rates). With inflation at about 3%, it's a losing proposition to hoard the money in a low interest bearing account when investing in the business can help increase productivity and profits.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (05-29-2011), Wolfgang (05-29-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

ok....this is what I am looking for...

people grounded in reality and finance and advice.

I am no longer living in California. I have moved back to my home state of West Virginia, after leaving after high school in 1988/89.

I have some chores to do this morning and will get back before to long and mull over the input.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 79
View Contractor Jeff's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush123 View Post
ok....this is what i am looking for...

People grounded in reality and finance and advice.
here ya go. Remember when he used big headphones with mic attachment?
Attached Thumbnails
fruits of labor-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Contractor Jeff; 05-29-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Contractor Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #10

who is clark howard? I have listened to suz ormond.

I like and need simple statements like what is being offered....I set small goals and keep making steps to bigger progresss,,,,,if I get too much info I shut it all off and drink a dark beer..(not really)

I think putting the money aside for a year making a payment is a great idea and I like that challenge. If my truck broke down now, I would fix it with any money I have in saving. It gets regular maintenance, and I am do for all new belts, and that won't be so much....I work about 1mile from my house, if you can believe that,....I am so lucky for not having to drive anywhere but to the paint store....and most everything I do is in two newer developments.

sad notification on the location of the decimal points.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
RCP

The point of the MM account was to have a years payments socked away, just as easily could do a savings account I guess. Just make sure to keep adding to it and not touch the reserve.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
ltd

Rewards Points: 174
View ltd's Photo Album My Photos

sage imho get a van . if your doing any kind of residential repaints you got to have a van.im a lone wolf and my astro is perfect .when it goes to the bone yard i dont know what ill do they stopped making them .im lookin at a 2011 dodge caravan cargo ,in a white or silver .im not ready yet but just thinking.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
PinheadsUnite

ltd,

Being a solo paperhanger and not a painter with any employees, my Caravan (or "Grocery Getter" as PWG calls it) is a real good vehicle - space wise. As far as gas mileage it's a hog. I've been averaging 18 mpg. It was advertised as 17 - 25 but that should be 15 - 20 in the real world.

another of my major beefs with the specifications is the statement that one can get a sheet of 8 x 4 ply in it. Sure you can, if the front seats are ALL the way forward, you have access to an unobstructed floor, and you load no more that 4 3/4" sheets. Chrysler has lied on so many items.

Granted, I am REAL comfortable while driving and it was the cheapest of the class. But I hate being lied to.

If you are a single slinger of slop, a mini van will suit you well, but steer away from Dodge. The Odyssey is a better vehicle, better gas mileage, and better interior space. Yes I know that you won't get a stripped down "cargo" mini-van from Honda, but from what I have seen, it's worth the extra $$$.

And if you have employees or plan to in the near future, buy yourself a "real" work van. A "grocery getter" just will not handle the demands of a painting contractor.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
ltd (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
ltd

Rewards Points: 174
View ltd's Photo Album My Photos

hey for any you lone wolfs a mini vans fine just stay away from the wood grain side panels and lose the baby on board sticker
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #15

never, could I drive a van. that is me. I had a '72 volkwagen bus for many years, but noway am I van owner. I don't ridicule those that do.

I still appreciate feedback whether I shoot it down or not.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #16

since 1990 being a painter, I have owned a bus, and only three pickup trucks...if I ever get "big time" I am gonna drag a trailer like RCP!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
RCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush123 View Post
since 1990 being a painter, I have owned a bus, and only three pickup trucks...if I ever get "big time" I am gonna drag a trailer like RCP!
LOL! If I ever get "big time", I want a truck like NEPS'!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #18
Not Junior Member

Rewards Points: 152
View Softy's Photo Album My Photos

Get a mobile home. You can grow indoor weed while not painting and go "big time". I meant motor home.
Softy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #19
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

If your truck runs fine, save your money until you have all or most of what you need. You'll never know when an emergency will pop up.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #20

your icon is making me paranoid....thanks for the advice though.....not so easy to accomplish at times..

Tags
None