Fuji Turbine with Off-Brand Gun - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By slinger58
  • 1 Post By Wolfgang

Old 12-17-2017, 12:10 PM  

View Gary B's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fuji Turbine with Off-Brand Gun

Hey guys, Iíve got a quick question regarding my Fuji HVLP turbine. Iím looking to buy a cheap gun to dedicate to spray primers. The guns Iím looking at, like the cheap ones from Harbor Freight, have a 1/4Ē male outlet on them. The Fuji hose has what looks like a 3/4Ē femal quick connect, but I canít find any specs on-line with information on the Fuji hose. Does anyone know if (a) can I use one of these cheap guns with a Fuji turbine, and (b) what fittings do I need to make the conversion?

Thank you in advance,

Gary

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 01:43 PM  
RH

Rewards Points: 5,576
Thanked 15,399 Times in 8,076 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I would think having your measurements would allow you to go online to a place like Portland Compressor to get the needed couplings to make it work. That being said, I would be cautious about going with a cheap gun. You don’t need to buy the Fuji units, which are costly, but a modestly priced one may give you at least adequate performance.

Groucho Marx
Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM  

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not an expert on HVLP, but I'm thinking the cheap HVLP guns with the 1/4" connector are designed to use with a compressor that will generate a higher psi than a turbine is capable of producing.

The turbine guns depend on volume of air hence the 3/4 hose vs. 1/4 hose.

But I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (12-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 07:12 PM  
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 118
Thanked 8,635 Times in 4,028 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

^^^ That would be the correct answer.
slinger58 likes this.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:03 PM  

View Gary B's Photo Album My Photos

Slinger I think youíre right. I rigged up a series of fittings and hooked up the compressor HVLP with 1/4Ē outlet up to the 3/4Ē turbine hose. With no liquid in the gun, I can tell thereís a decrease in the amount of air the compressor gun blows out compared to the Fuji turbine gun. Ran some water through it, and it shoots it fine. This week Iíll try shooting some paint through it to see how it goes. Doesnít look too promising.

Anyone have a source for less expensive turbine guns?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:32 AM  
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 118
Thanked 8,635 Times in 4,028 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

A HVLP gun requires a very large continuous CFM capable air flow. Harbor Freight does make one that only requires 4-5 cfm. The regular HVLP guns have to have a large amount of air to the gun. It is then regulated at the gun to a lower pressure.

Water shoots fine through anything. As soon as you start adding a solid viscosity to it, it changes the whole ball game. Many turbine setups will still require to thin the paint viscosity in order to get the fine finish.

Tags
None