Has anyone ever used abranet abrasives on a pole sander? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Has anyone ever used abranet abrasives on a pole sander?

Has anyone ever tried putting this abrasive on one of these sanding heads? It looks like it might be an inexpensive way to sand walls and drywall patches on interior repaints. Any thoughts?
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpminter View Post
Has anyone ever tried putting this abrasive on one of these sanding heads? It looks like it might be an inexpensive way to sand walls and drywall patches on interior repaints. Any thoughts?
I haven't tried that set up. I have not heard great things about the hyde tool.

I would go with this and this .
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Eventually that's exactly what I'll do, but I could buy the Hyde AND the roll of abranet 5 times and still be out less than the festool setup before buying abrasives. I'm kind of slow right now so I'm watching the cash outlay pretty closely. There are several festool products that I have my eye on (RO 150, RO 90, RTS 400, RAS 115.4, CT MIDI or 26 E) but I don't want to wait until I can afford festool before going dustless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Eventually that's exactly what I'll do, but I could buy the Hyde AND the roll of abranet 5 times and still be out less than the festool setup before buying abrasives. I'm kind of slow right now so I'm watching the cash outlay pretty closely. There are several festool products that I have my eye on (RO 150, RO 90, RTS 400, RAS 115.4, CT MIDI or 26 E) but I don't want to wait until I can afford festool before going dustless.
I know what you mean.

I am sure that some have tried the Hyde I know Bill has/is using/used something similar to it so maybe he will chime in.

I say give it a shot and let us know how it works for you. My guess is that it will allow more dust than other systems such as Festool but it will probably keep it down to a minimum.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Dale just did a review and a video for BP, I should have it up shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
If your plan is to end up with Festool equipment, I would get this set, which is extractrable, and this one, which is not. These two sets are the ultimate recycling program for those abrasives that have been broken in on power sanders, and both sets work well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vermontpainter For This Useful Post:
CliffK (01-15-2012), mpminter (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
If your plan is to end up with Festool equipment, I would get this set, which is extractrable, and this one, which is not. These two sets are the ultimate recycling program for those abrasives that have been broken in on power sanders, and both sets work well.
Nice article Scott, I had not seen that hand tool before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
vermontpainter (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Can anyone comment on Festool abrasives vs. Mirka abranet? From what I've read here, Abranet is about the best there is for sanding latex paint.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Can anyone comment on Festool abrasives vs. Mirka abranet? From what I've read here, Abranet is about the best there is for sanding latex paint.
I have run Granat against Goldflex extensively.

And Granat against most everything ridiculous I can think of:

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
I'd like to be able to sand the entire wall, not just patches so that's why I wanted a pole sander. Also, Festool has a weird vac connection on all their stuff, so I'm not sure how I would hook it up securely to my existing vac. I'm not saying that the blocks you mentioned were a bad idea, but I just want to clarify what it is that I'm trying to accomplish. I appreciate the input!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

I use Abracadabra on the Flex Edge pole sander. Its like magic without the hat and wand. If you go too aggressive, it will stop you dead in your tracks so go finer than normal. 180 works great for general new construction surfaces and 120 on repaints. The Abranet excels on repaints. Its actually stupid-good how well it works.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
mpminter (01-16-2012), straight_lines (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Logistics

One pass down the wall over flat paint. It works like a wood file so its shaving paint off relatively quick. I always recommend taping base first on NC because of the amount of paint removed. Then dusting base afterwards. If timed correctly, we spray trim and doors, next day tape base on fresh paint then sand before any wall patch dust can make any contact with the base. Just helps with adhesion because this way there is no dust residue left behind. One other thing with the Abranet is how it shaves paint off creates considerably less airborne dust. Larger particles I suppose may be the result of that.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

Thanks for the info Jack. I knew you were a big fan of Mirka products, and I have to say, you're a heck of a lot better than me about taking pictures of stuff! Do you think that the the Hyde would work for dustless sanding or are the holes in the abranet too small for the particles to pass through?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25
View crazyson2001's Photo Album My Photos

Alright....I've seen enough to convince myself to try some of this Abranet stuff.

Looks like I need to order this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mirka-9A-150-180RP-pieces-4-Inch-Abranet/dp/B001BKVZWK/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1326680498&sr=8-28
And then this "Interface Pad", which from my understanding keeps the Abranet from eating up the hook & loop on my sander:
http://www.amazon.com/Mirka-91505RP-4-Inch-2-Inch-Interface/dp/B001BKVZY8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_c
Is this correct?

Too bad they don't make a size big enough to fit the Radius 360 sander
crazyson2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

Ya, I've been down this road.

Started with this.....

Has anyone ever used abranet abrasives on a pole sander?-image-3537880414.jpg

Then moved to this....

Has anyone ever used abranet abrasives on a pole sander?-image-328884894.jpg

Has anyone ever used abranet abrasives on a pole sander?-image-3856584657.jpg

Now I'm working with the Festool set up. (extractor with power sander....no pic)

I hear ya its not cheap, but.....a few thoughts....

The Hyde without a variable suction....doesn't work. The vac sucks the abrasive to the wall and it will 'stick'. Also the mesh will NOT give you a smooth surface. In this situation you will always have little grooves in the mud from where the mesh folds around to the clamp. I've tried pads to fix this....simply its not a great system.

Scott, are those available in N.America?

The velcro pads work much better! Price difference in the handhelds is negligible.

See if you can find an extractor with variable speed.

Last edited by Paint and Hammer; 01-15-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Paint and Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint and Hammer View Post

Scott, are those available in N.America?
That is what I was wondering
Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
Logistics

P&H, are you talking about HYDE mesh or abranet mesh re: the little grooves. Never tried the HYDE system so not sure what comes with it for abrasives.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
P&H, are you talking about HYDE mesh or abranet mesh re: the little grooves. Never tried the HYDE system so not sure what comes with it for abrasives.
Hyde.

We might be talking about two completely different things.

The Hyde is a mesh that is held on in the conventional way of wrapping it around the head and clamps. (not like what you have in your pic)
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
Logistics

crazyson, if you want to pole sand then grab the rolls. They are 4.5" by 30' which is 42 sheets cut 8.5 to fit the Flex Edge pad. That comes out to about $1.19 to $1.36 ea depending on where you buy and live. One mesh sheet will sand an entire 1800 sq ft house NC but I like to use two. I save all of the used mesh, they can be used for a long time after you wore them out on the walls.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Logistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint and Hammer View Post
Hyde.

We might be talking about two completely different things.

The Hyde is a mesh that is held on in the conventional way of wrapping it around the head and clamps. (not like what you have in your pic)
Gotcha, I checked out some other pics. That does look a bit aggressive.

Tags
None