Highest rated Wooster brushes? Ones to avoid? (Another brush thread LOL sry) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By The Montana Painter
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts

Old 12-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 100
View BrushPro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Highest rated Wooster brushes? Ones to avoid? (Another brush thread LOL sry)

I have yet to try many of the Wooster brush line. Coronas are harder to come by and double the price for me so I want to try out the Woosters. I don't have a big budget or I would just buy them all.

I have only used an alpha and a normal short cut before. I really like the alpha but there isn't much tip to it so I'm looking else where for better corners and similar less dipping as the alpha.

Recommendations on where to start? Answers based on interior painting walls and trim etc.

2 1/2 or 3inch?

My thoughts from reading previous threads:

Ftp chinex
Ultra pro extra firm
Silver tip

Other options for me to get that I haven't used are Picasso pro forms and I've heard the BM brushes are Woosters too.

Thanks in advanced
BrushPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Ultra pro extra firm or the FTP chinex. The silver tip is a floppy diy brush that doesn't work well with the higher solids paints sold now. It's great with water based clears though.
ridesarize likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Ultra pro extra firm or the FTP chinex. The silver tip is a floppy diy brush that doesn't work well with the higher solids paints sold now. It's great with water based clears though.
thanks, that is the simple input I need as pricing and some reviews online can be tempting to go cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16
View robertdaley848's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks for your information!
robertdaley848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #5

View The Montana Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I used to be an exclusive Wooster guy and i tried the silver tip when they came out. Ended up using that brush to put on Ferris Sulfate. Worked ok for posts and beams on an exterior project . Then i pitched it !! Never to buy again. Seems everyone has a brush company they like for some reason...it cleans up fast....looks Purdy etc. I have been using pro form(2 and 2.5inch ..not the Picasso line) on all of my interior latex cut in projects. They are 1/2 the price and don't last as long but the performance while using is unmatched. Has anyone out there tried these?
The Montana Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #6

Just ordered a 3 inch on Amazon if those pro forms
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 110
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I searched for 20 years for a brush that worked for me. I tried Purdy's and liked them, but most versions were just too "floppy" for my painting style. SW used to carry versions of Wooster that were decent enough. Then, by happenstance, I tried the Wooster Pro from Home Depot. The pricing reflects a DIY type paint brush. They also carry the better PRO version of them now as well. It holds a lot of paint and gives you that long, straight cut line we all crave as painters. At $12 a pop, it's ideal for me. Not saying it's ideal for all as we each have our own style of brushing........but, give one a try.
Attached Images

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I searched for 20 years for a brush that worked for me. I tried Purdy's and liked them, but most versions were just too "floppy" for my painting style. SW used to carry versions of Wooster that were decent enough. Then, by happenstance, I tried the Wooster Pro from Home Depot. The pricing reflects a DIY type paint brush. They also carry the better PRO version of them now as well. It holds a lot of paint and gives you that long, straight cut line we all crave as painters. At $12 a pop, it's ideal for me. Not saying it's ideal for all as we each have our own style of brushing........but, give one a try.
I hear those are great for the behr i300 paint.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,412
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

I see Wooster has a semi-oval angle sash in some of their lineup. Anyone tried those?
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
I see Wooster has a semi-oval angle sash in some of their lineup. Anyone tried those?
they've had semi ovals for a while now. At least since i opened 5 years ago. I guess the fact that no one knows anything about them kinda tells you all you need to know. Of course i am only 45 minutes from the factory so maybe they are taking a while to reach other parts of the country?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 110
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I hear those are great for the behr i300 paint.
They really work great with ProMar 700, ProMar 400 & 200 as well as SuperPaint. In fact, using those Wooster brushes with any SW paint, makes the paint perform 200% better. I've never experienced anything like it!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
They really work great with ProMar 700, ProMar 400 & 200 as well as SuperPaint. In fact, using those Wooster brushes with any SW paint, makes the paint perform 200% better. I've never experienced anything like it!
Guess that explains why SW doesn't carry them.
Gymschu likes this.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Guess that explains why SW doesn't carry them.
that explains SW business model he he. I'll have to try those Wooster pro. The Wooster Alpha has that long smooth cut line but no tip for corners... Don't like that part
Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #14

View The Montana Painter's Photo Album My Photos

To all those brush afisianidos I would like to add a few refinements to my previous post !! The pro form I am currently using is not the thinner pencil handle but the thicker handle which gives the best pickup(brush load) and release for a long smooth stroke and an excellent cut line. Most times I use the 2 1/2 inch angle sash. For windows sashes etc. I use the 2 inch. These brushes are about 1/2 the price of other big name brushes and don't last as long but superior in performance. I am always hopeful when I try a new brush. I want the brush performance of the pro form ,have it last and be made in the USA. Not asking much......just love the performance
Gymschu likes this.

Last edited by The Montana Painter; 01-11-2019 at 10:15 AM..
The Montana Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,412
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montana Painter View Post
To all those brush afisianidos I would like to add a few refinements to my previous post !! The pro form I am currently using is not the thinner pencil handle but the thicker handle which gives the best pickup(brush load) and release for a long smooth stroke and an excellent cut line. Most times I use the 2 1/2 inch angle sash. For windows sashes etc. I use the 2 inch. These brushes are about 1/2 the price of other big name brushes and don't last as long but superior in performance. I am always hopeful when I try a new brush. I want the brush performance of the pro form ,have it last and be made in the USA. Not asking much......just love the performance

Definitely not 1/2 the price, well maybe where you buy them from anyway. I have the woosters ultra firm about 10% less than the picasso. Extra firm about the same as picasso. Too many people complain about the picasso brush falling apart to me so i stopped carrying them. Also I try to only carry made in USA stuff when possible.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None