Laser Level Recommendations? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By ProWallGuy

Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 AM   #1
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 94
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos
Default Laser Level Recommendations?

Random question but my Bosch laser level quite less than a yr after purchase & prolly 6 uses. I find myself missing it when we do work around the house or hang things & have a serious remodel coming up so its gotta be replaced.

Bosch was a nightmare when it came to the warranty/repair & after the run around eventually said the parts weren't available anymore & sent a link to "buy a new unit if I'd like" :O So, I'd prefer another brand but the selection/price differences are overwhelming!

Anyone have recommendations for a brand/model they like?

-Needs to be self-leveling & at minimum have cross hairs but would prefer 360 degree plane to avoid having to move it constantly when installing cabinets or flooring.
-Not worried about massive visibility since it will be used indoors 99% of the time so anything from 25-50ft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 01:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Stabila

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,624
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,912 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

PLS180 is my daily used laser level.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 120
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I've been using the Bosch ones for years. They are a good value. The next step up is orders of magnitudes more expensive.

I'm using the self level cross line lasers that run 150 to 160. If you go to a rotary, you'll be about 3 times that.

I'm thinking about buying a nice rotary with detector for laying out foundations, but for painting and trim a cross line will do everything you need for a much lesser price. I layout kitchens with one, but I use regular stabila levels to set cabinets.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,348
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Plumb bob and a straight edge!
johnhoo08 likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #6
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
PLS180 is my daily used laser level.
That’s what a contractor recommended too- they look to be really well received & have some good weight vs the cheaper plastic ones. Does the pendulum lock when off/closed?

San Diego, CA
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountPaint View Post
I've been using the Bosch ones for years. They are a good value. The next step up is orders of magnitudes more expensive.

I'm using the self level cross line lasers that run 150 to 160. If you go to a rotary, you'll be about 3 times that.

I'm thinking about buying a nice rotary with detector for laying out foundations, but for painting and trim a cross line will do everything you need for a much lesser price. I layout kitchens with one, but I use regular stabila levels to set cabinets.
Bosch is considerably cheaper than the contractor grade versions but after such a poor experience trying to get help I’d rather avoid them on principle - $180 for 6 uses is just too much for me 😕

I’ve had my eye one some of the nicer ones at county auctions but your right- for almost everything we do they are overkill....

Thinkin I’ll try the PS or Dewalt lines & see how they compare.

San Diego, CA
Old 09-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 120
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
Bosch is considerably cheaper than the contractor grade versions but after such a poor experience trying to get help Iíd rather avoid them on principle - $180 for 6 uses is just too much for me 😕

Iíve had my eye one some of the nicer ones at county auctions but your right- for almost everything we do they are overkill....

Thinkin Iíll try the PS or Dewalt lines & see how they compare.
I don't blame you. I haven't had any experiences like that, so I'm OK with the lesser laser. I'm not entirely happy with their accuracy (hence the rotary laser potential purchase), but they've been adequate for the use for me. It's always "you get what you pay for" with these sort of things.
PPD likes this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,624
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,912 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
Thatís what a contractor recommended too- they look to be really well received & have some good weight vs the cheaper plastic ones. Does the pendulum lock when off/closed?
No the pendulum does not lock when turned off. I store it in a cheap pistol case filled with closed cell foam.
PPD likes this.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 604
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos

i second the pls180. its very versatile and a great form factor size. It doesn't have a plumb bob dot like its big brother but its too much smaller.

I wish i had ponied up and got the green line version.

my buddy has the dealt which uses the dealt batteries. they are nice but so much larger. Unsure of which brand is the most accurate and precise. I know pls, leica and the dewalts get good reviews. The bosch lasers I've used seemed to have thicker lines which didn't appear as bright. But its been quite a few years since and maybe bosch has improved their lasers.

The carpenters on the jobs seem to love their hilt rotaries. Probably the only brand of rotary I've seen in the last 3-4 years.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None