Mirka sanding block with abranet for drywall - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 38
Thanked 5,154 Times in 2,809 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mirka sanding block with abranet for drywall

Today I tried the sanding blck pictured here attached to a festool vac to sand a drywall repair on the ceiling. Sanding directly overhead (with CONTACTS in my eyes) I felt no dust falling at all. No drywall dust showed up on the black fleece pullover I was wearing either. The set up worked best with the vacuum set very low, otherwise it stuck too much to the ceiling and wanted to leave scratches.
Attached Images

DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Dean, what filters do you use in you extractor when sanding GWB? Those HEPPA filters are pretty expensive for drywall.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Today I tried the sanding blck pictured here attached to a festool vac to sand a drywall repair on the ceiling. Sanding directly overhead (with CONTACTS in my eyes) I felt no dust falling at all. No drywall dust showed up on the black fleece pullover I was wearing either. The set up worked best with the vacuum set very low, otherwise it stuck too much to the ceiling and wanted to leave scratches.

Dumb question here, but how did you connect it to the hose?

There was an adaptor in the box, but we couldn't figure out how it fit.

I left it at the store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Paint to fish

The adapted snaps over the connector on the block and the festool hose fits on that.

As for the HEPA, this was small scale, but with shop Vacs it seemed like the bags catch almost everything so I figured it would be the same with the festool, hopefully I am right. When sanding primer on NC trim we do not seem to see much build up on the HEPA.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
Dean, what filters do you use in you extractor when sanding GWB? Those HEPPA filters are pretty expensive for drywall.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6SheO6zwBI...ilpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6SheO6zwBI...yer_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C6SheO6zwBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry. I can't get the video to embed. (never figured that or multi quote out)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Thanks BB. I actually have that system saved on my Amazon wish list. It looks like it works well, but is a little bulky to say the least.

I'm just waiting for VP to write a review about it before I make a purchase.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
The adapted snaps over the connector on the block and the festool hose fits on that.

Maybe we had the wrong adaptor (or we're 'special') because neither of us could figure it out and that plastic wasn't "snapping" to nothing.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Paint to fish

I will take a pic later.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Paint and Hammer (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Paint to fish

Just force the adapter on like this. Snaps in one click and festool's hose fits nicely on the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirka sanding block with abranet for drywall-image-1537355044.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Paint and Hammer (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #10

Guess that puts me in the 'special' category then....we must not have pushed hard enough.

Thanks...
Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Have you not got the Mirka Handy Sander as yet?

It might appear to be a "JP image", but that bit of kit was supplied FOC by TDS from the UK whom I use for my supplies.

I have the Handy (shown above) and also have the same one as DeanV and it is awsome. Especially with the sponge interface pads. Even using them on broad wall areas, let alone trim.

The Mirka Handy comes without the sponge interface pads ATM.
IMO, it is not as effective as sucking all the filler dust away from the mesh as the Abranet you show Dean. But still a good piece of kit.

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Paint to fish

I do not have that one. If I found it in a local store, I would have it. Does the Abranet not fit that one?

I bought the interface pad, but so far have not tried it. When do you use the interface pad and when not?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Dean, Mine came with this hose that fits both hand sanders and also fits to the vac. Do you have that hose in the picture?

The hand block on the left is the Handy (yellow one), the smaller one is the one Dean pictured. Also seen in #1 pic below

Last edited by jack pauhl; 10-23-2011 at 03:30 PM..
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I have been using this type of setup for a few weeks now, so I don't have a conclusive report at this time. First off, I dont see it just as a drywall tool.

But I will say that generally I think this concept is a great idea. If we are power sanding with extraction, of course I want a dustless handblock set as well.

The whole idea (for me), especially on clear or stain grade wood finishes, is that dustless sanding means we are not grinding microscopic dust particles into the wood grain anymore, so the finish is less cloudy, more rich and true to the actual character of the wood grain.

Prior to this set, I was frustrated with, say, stripping a whole door, then doing a bit of hand sanding at the end around the edges, or a few passes on the face to ensure no orbital traces, and end up with alot more dust hand sanding than power sanding. And knowing it was creating some variation in the quality of absorption of the finish.

I'm not seeing that as problematic anymore.

Here is the little hot rod set I am working with...

Attached Thumbnails
Mirka sanding block with abranet for drywall-xtract.jpg  

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Paint to fish

I do not have any of the adapters vp or JP show, nor have I seen them in the stores I got my mirka and festool stuff from.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #16

So I went back and checked out the adaptor....yup, just didn't push hard enough. I will share my 'special' moment with the salesguy as he too didn't push hard enough....duh.

Anyway, finally used it last week on about 200 sqft of wall patching. (insurance job, flooded basement so the lower part of the wall)

Even with the Festool on the lowest setting there was a touch more suction than I would prefer, but all and all I was happy with it. Puts the shop vac, Hyde system to shame. (dare I even make the comparison?)

They had the extra hose attachment you showed there JP, but this place is a bit expencive and I was feeling gouged already. ($50 for the sander, $15 a paper package and they wanted $40 for that plastic hose....I don't buy when I'm annoyed. )

Anyway, changed my technique a bit. I used to layout the mud and not worry too much about excessive mud on the outside of the blade. When dry I'd knock those down with the blade and do a second coat. Same for the third, but with a bit of sanding.

But, with this system I took a bit more care on the first and put 80 on the sander and sanded right off the hop not worrying too much about the grooves. Second, then third using only the sander. Should be minimal sanding before the third and last tomorrow.....and I haven't vacuumed the floor......very nice.

Tags
None