Need a sander for paint removal. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Need a sander for paint removal.

I have a myriad of sanders, but I need something meaty that will go through some paint layers, but not cost $500 or too ridiculously heavy and bulky. (ladder use)

Suggestions?

I like the Velcro replacement pads or clip ons, not the adhesive type as I burn through paper on a siding.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

What are you needing it for?
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Peel Away 7. Sanding to bare wood sounds horrible. Sorry I'm not more help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

Check out the Festool RAS 115. I think its less than $500 and it's their most aggressive sander. Plus, it's shrouded and can be hooked up to a HEPA vac so you could use it on RRP jobs
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpminter For This Useful Post:
Paint and Hammer (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #5

I'm not needing to go to bare wood, but the customer wants it to be "smooth". (yes we're clear on expectations)

100 year old house with about 3 layers on it. (pics are on my phone) 2.5 story, 3000sqft house.

I'm currently using my P.C. 4" belt sander with 60 grit and a Bosche 5" with 40 grid, but I still feel too slow. Feeling weather pressure to get this done.

For the record, the paint will be two coats of Aura for build. (after oil primer)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,912
Thanked 9,601 Times in 5,453 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/pa...al_system.aspx Use this if you don't care about the dust
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #7

But you don't have to go to Europe to buy it!
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

Seriously, check out the Festool I mentioned. It's small, light, and powerful and it sounds like it would be perfect for what you're doing. Heck, one of their rotex machines would probably do it.
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpminter For This Useful Post:
Paint and Hammer (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpminter View Post
Seriously, check out the Festool I mentioned. It's small, light, and powerful and it sounds like it would be perfect for what you're doing. Heck, one of their rotex machines would probably do it.
I saw those in a previous PT post. Looks promising.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint and Hammer View Post
I'm not needing to go to bare wood, but the customer wants it to be "smooth". (yes we're clear on expectations)

100 year old house with about 3 layers on it. (pics are on my phone) 2.5 story, 3000sqft house.

I'm currently using my P.C. 4" belt sander with 60 grit and a Bosche 5" with 40 grid, but I still feel too slow. Feeling weather pressure to get this done.

For the record, the paint will be two coats of Aura for build. (after oil primer)
The Mirka CEROS really excels at what you are trying to do. It is so light (2 lbs) and easy to hold and maneuver against the house. The CEROS with Abranet is one truly amazing sanding experience tied to a vac for stripping so for what you are trying to do its effortless. Its on the site under Equipment. I'll shoot a video and get it up as soon as the rain stops. Been raining all week and says rain thru the weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
CApainter (09-08-2011), Paint and Hammer (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Reading about it now. Weight to power ratio is always something I look for.

I've got a few belt sanders, but good luck holding those with one hand which is what makes that 4" PC nice.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
The Mirka CEROS really excels at what you are trying to do. It is so light (2 lbs) and easy to hold and maneuver against the house. The CEROS with Abranet is one truly amazing sanding experience tied to a vac for stripping so for what you are trying to do its effortless. Its on the site under Equipment. I'll shoot a video and get it up as soon as the rain stops. Been raining all week and says rain thru the weekend.

Is this in the Festool family also?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:

For $300 this looks like a good suggestion.....will check one out tomorrow....thanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
Logistics

Quote:
Is this in the Festool family also?
No this is MIRKA. Known for abrasives and automotive refinishing but the company is aggressively merging the automotive refinishing technology specific to paint contractors. The CEROS is dream sanding but the Abranet abrasives are very effective even on a hand held sander. Pole sanding walls, a breeze. Where other sandpapers clog up and create those round strands when u try to sand eggshell, Abranet makes sandpaper look like kids play. That stuff is amazing in itself so when attached to the CEROS, its incredibly effective.

I'll post the solution for ladder work too because it has a transformer that goes with it. Not a big deal at all and the solution is actually perfect for so many other things. You'll feel comfortable on a ladder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
CApainter (09-08-2011), Paint and Hammer (09-09-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #15

Not trying to be a suck up jack, but thanks for the info. If anything, it provides a benchmark where one doesn't exist.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
No this is MIRKA. Known for abrasives and automotive refinishing but the company is aggressively merging the automotive refinishing technology specific to paint contractors. The CEROS is dream sanding but the Abranet abrasives are very effective even on a hand held sander. Pole sanding walls, a breeze. Where other sandpapers clog up and create those round strands when u try to sand eggshell, Abranet makes sandpaper look like kids play. That stuff is amazing in itself so when attached to the CEROS, its incredibly effective.

I'll post the solution for ladder work too because it has a transformer that goes with it. Not a big deal at all and the solution is actually perfect for so many other things. You'll feel comfortable on a ladder.
Haven't heard of it and Festool came up along with it in my search.

It looks like a pneumatic tool. (I know it isn't) Frankly the $625 price tag is more than I want to spend on a sander. 2 LBS is very interesting though.

Interesting comments on Abranet abrasives. Like drill bits I accept that most things are crap nowadays and buy in bulk and mow through them....will check them out.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #17

Quote:

It looks like a pneumatic tool. (I know it isn't) Frankly the $625 price tag is more than I want to spend on a sander. 2 LBS is very interesting though.

Interesting comments on Abranet abrasives. Like drill bits I accept that most things are crap nowadays and buy in bulk and mow through them....will check them out.
Looks like you're back to the Makita PH. $ 180.00 Chaching!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Looks like you're back to the Makita PH. $ 180.00 Chaching!

I'm going to check out the Festool if they have it in stock. A while back I was debating the Festool or Fein vacuum and bought the Fein mostly because the Festool outlet here didn't seem to be great on customer service.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #19
Logistics

Quote:

I know u don't want to be in the $500 range but its $495 transformer included. You need to buy Abranet or Abranet HD depending on what kind of removal you want to do.

The CEROS is designed after their pneumatic auto refinishing sanders. It feels just like one but quiet.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #20

Quote:
I'm going to check out the Festool if they have it in stock. A while back I was debating the Festool or Fein vacuum and bought the Fein mostly because the Festool outlet here didn't seem to be great on customer service.
I will also be looking into an alternative to my current sanding device. Good luck to you!

Tags
None