Plaster Washers - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 183
View ptbopainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Plaster Washers

Does anybody know why plaster washers are impossible to find lately? (In my part of Ontario anyway)
Home depot doesn't even have a sku for them anymore, my neighbourhood hardware store has been trying for months to get them with no luck, and, the local masonry store is "all out"... They claim they need to beef up their order with other random things before they'll put it in but they're confident they'll be able to get more... but the fact that they're out is weird. And I don't believe them.
I really like them for plaster repairs and there's nothing like them...
ptbopainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 172
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

My local store sells them in packs of 25. And, I can also get them at my local hardware store...but those ones are terrible. The do not flatten out. I am Massachusetts. I find that if HD is not selling a ton of the item they will not sell it. How many home owners use plaster buttons. And the logic of what they sell dumbfounds me. I had a textured ceiling to fix. The sold the texture, but not the hopper to spray the texture.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
ptbopainter (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,122
Thanked 4,677 Times in 3,146 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Are there Restoration Hardware stores in Ontario? They always have them. A commercial drywall supply should have them too.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
ptbopainter (05-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martin the Painter View Post
My local store sells them in packs of 25. And, I can also get them at my local hardware store...but those ones are terrible. The do not flatten out. I am Massachusetts. I find that if HD is not selling a ton of the item they will not sell it. How many home owners use plaster buttons. And the logic of what they sell dumbfounds me. I had a textured ceiling to fix. The sold the texture, but not the hopper to spray the texture.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk
Yes! I think Home Depot relies totally on algorithms that tell them how fast an item is selling and if it doesn't sell at a certain rate they get rid of it. Considering I've had a million experiences with them not having something that their computer says they have I have no idea why they do anything that they do!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Are there Restoration Hardware stores in Ontario? They always have them. A commercial drywall supply should have them too.
There's a huge one in Toronto but it seems like a big showroom for furniture etc
And to get to it you have to go to a shopping centre that is so big and busy it takes days to recover from the experience.
The commercial drywall place is the place that's out and needs to fill the order before they get more. And the other commercial/contractor sales store said they have had no luck getting any, all their sources have dried up!
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

You can get a 25 pack on Amazon for $9 plus shipping. https://www.amazon.com/d/Pressure-Wa...unt/B0053Q9QR4
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushman4 For This Useful Post:
ptbopainter (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,915
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

The last time I needed them I had to go to Amazon, I'm in the St.Catherines area of ON.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=plaster+wa..._sb_ss_sc_1_16

In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jennifertemple For This Useful Post:
ptbopainter (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
You can get a 25 pack on Amazon for $9 plus shipping. https://www.amazon.com/d/Pressure-Wa...unt/B0053Q9QR4
Ya thanks!
That's what I'm going to do. I just don't know why so many places used to have them and now they don't.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,915
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbopainter View Post
Ya thanks!
That's what I'm going to do. I just don't know why so many places used to have them and now they don't.

Shoddy painters not doing proper prep? Maybe?

In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Shoddy painters not doing proper prep? Maybe?
You know you're probably right!
Considering how many cracks I've seen/fixed that just had mud caked on... granted they weren't all done by painters but some were
Maybe there ARE only 3 people in town who use the plaster washers...
Old 05-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 352
Thanked 9,504 Times in 5,375 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Are you guys actually following through with the plaster repair system that utilizes these washers? LOL! By the time I got done drilling the holes, pumping in the sealer, squeezing in the adhesive and screwing in the washers, I could have removed the plaster and replaced it with drywall.

Back in the 80's, when I repaired a lot of sagging plaster in San Francisco dwellings, I used to use drywall screws and metal washers to support the loose plaster. But typically, we would just demo out the plaster and replace with drywall. In other words, I wouldn't sweat not getting these patented products. the local hardware probably has something that would be just as sufficient.

And as far as those plaster "buttons" that don't flatten out, they're probably designed for adhesive systems that are intended to be removed once the adhesive cures.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #12

I haven't tried the "system" you're referring to...
I like the washers because they are way more effective than drywall screws alone. And using drywall wouldn't be great for snaking cracks. Unless it was a gut job
Plus I believe that hiding drywall in a plaster wall would be somehow dishonest and even impure.
The truth is I really like the whole process of fixing stuff up
Old 05-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,022
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
The word is that Restoration Hardware is now just called RA and doesn't really sell hardware anymore. It mostly sells cheap designer knockoffs that are way overpriced and like many things are made in China, even though they try to pass them off as Made in America.

They have a lot of scathing reviews online! https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/19/s...mentsContainer

https://www.resellerratings.com/stor...ation_Hardware
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None