Purchase a used sprayer? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeCalifornia

Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
View Mml665's Photo Album My Photos
Default Purchase a used sprayer?

I have come across a used sprayer that the asking price is $200 it is s Grayco Supernova hi boy. The current owner says it was last used in 2012, and that it needs the seals replaced. He also claims that it was a $4,000 rig brand new. I don't believe that claim personally since his wife couldn't tell me which model supernova it is.

Would my fellow forum members jump on the opportunity, or run? I figure a seal kit is approximately $50, what other items might I have to service? Was thus a good sprayer for trim and doors? What were its limitations?
Thank you in advance!
Mml665 is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 1,053 Times in 684 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Nova's are branded for SW, I believe the supernova is a 495. Nothing crazy expensive, and a high-boy is the least expensive, probably around $1200 new. Also a new packing kit will run at least $100 plus labor, and without knowing it might need a rod and cylinder if it has sat with water that ate away at it. Just expect to have to have everything fixed, so $500-600. I would opt for a brand new 395 or Titan 440, will be similar to this used and you will get the warranty.
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Nova's are branded for SW, I believe the supernova is a 495. Nothing crazy expensive, and a high-boy is the least expensive, probably around $1200 new. Also a new packing kit will run at least $100 plus labor, and without knowing it might need a rod and cylinder if it has sat with water that ate away at it. Just expect to have to have everything fixed, so $500-600. I would opt for a brand new 395 or Titan 440, will be similar to this used and you will get the warranty.
If i remember correctly the Supernova and the Nova didn't have a filter on the pump. They might have changed it but that was done so SW could sell them a little cheaper then the corresponding Graco 395 and 495.

Unless you know it is in good shape and how well it was maintained i would go with MikeCalifornia on this one. A new 395 isn't going to cost a lot more then the potential repairs for this one. If there is a good spray shop in your area they may be willing to give it a look for a nominal fee.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

and fyi, the Nova 395 is in this months probuy add for $989.00. I seriously doubt that a supernova is $3000.00 more!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

Default Purchase a used sprayer?

I was doubtful of the valuation. I asked if I could test but they don't have power, at this point I'd risk a $100 on it, but I will most likely pass

Last edited by Mml665; 04-27-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mml665 View Post
I was doubtful of the valuation. I asked if I could test but they don't have power, at this point I'd risk a $100 on it, but I will most likely pass
Offer $100.00 and tell them without knowing what kind of shape the piston and cylinder are in that is all you will offer.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Offer $100.00 and tell them without knowing what kind of shape the piston and cylinder are in that is all you will offer.

That was going to be my offer, however I had asked for them to send a pic of the front of the pump so I could see which model pump it is. The seller/wife said she would take a pic and send it to me, then I had asked about at least testing the unit. That is when she replied they don't have power. I made the judgement call to no longer consider the purchase. The sellers location wasn't in the best location. My safety and well being isn't worth a $100-$200 sprayer. I have a family at home and they need me to make it back home every night.

Tags
None