Spray Tip Questions - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stelzerpaintinginc.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,355
Rewards Points: 50
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spray Tip Questions

Recently I've been trying to use the search "function" to bone up on information regarding Graco spray tip sizes. Next week I'm getting a new Graco 390 (limited budget but it should suffice for my needs). The sprayer comes with 4 tips, plus a mail-in offer for 4 more. Before choosing all the tip sizes, I have a few questions.

First, I know that the fine finish sizes are designated by orifice sizes ending in even numbers. Dumb question, but just how much different can a .210 tip be from a .211 in terms of being a "fine finish"? One is considered to be fine, the other isn't, yet such a small size difference? Do fine finish tips have different pre-aperture shapes as opposed to the tips ending in odd numbers?

Second, I have only used the rac 5 black tips. Do they make the black tips with fine finish sizes, or do I have to go with those green tips? And if so, does that mean I have to purchase a gun with a different tip guard?

I am wanting to be able to spray latex/acrylics unthinned through something like a .210 tip. This should be possible with a 390 correct?
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
PRC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,352
Rewards Points: 46
Thanks: 2,089
Thanked 954 Times in 564 Posts
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Fine finish tip have 2 orifices which double atomizes the paint. I find less over spray and less material when using then. They are only the green tips with racx guards. The $8 more per tip is worth it when you need it for certain applications.

Yes, it's possible. I run acrylic unthinned through my 440i regularly. 210 for frames. 410 for doors.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,355
Rewards Points: 50
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
Fine finish tip have 2 orifices which double atomizes the paint. I find less over spray and less material when using then. They are only the green tips with racx guards. The $8 more per tip is worth it when you need it for certain applications.

Yes, it's possible. I run acrylic unthinned through my 440i regularly. 210 for frames. 410 for doors.


This is very much the game plan I wish to launch.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
PRC (09-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,355
Rewards Points: 50
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Am I correct in assuming the rac 5 guards can be unscrewed from the gun and replaced with the rac x guards?
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Troy
 
stelzerpaintinginc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,953
Rewards Points: 90
Thanks: 2,061
Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,133 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

There's a definite difference between FF tips and all others. They allow you to spray at lower pressures, put out a softer fan with softer edges, much better atomization. I'm not smart enough to know the inner workings of them, but I DO know they say the FF Tips provide, "duel atomization".

Rac 5 housing works with black tips and I think they still work with Titan FF tips, as well as many other brands of tips, but the green Rac X tips require the blue Rac X housing.

Your 390 will work great with FF tips. 210 can be a bit tricky since it requires many overlaps, (more margin for error, more starts, stops & overlaps). Only if I'm spraying rails or something similar do I use a 210 FF. For the most part, 310 & 410.

If I were you, I'd suggest getting the 210 like you want, but also get a 310, 410, and maybe even something like a 312 or 412, all FF. That way, you're covered for most anything.
craftednorth likes this.
__________________
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stelzerpaintinginc. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
dp75 (10-30-2015), SemiproJohn (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,355
Rewards Points: 50
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
There's a definite difference between FF tips and all others. They allow you to spray at lower pressures, put out a softer fan with softer edges, much better atomization. I'm not smart enough to know the inner workings of them, but I DO know they say the FF Tips provide, "duel atomization".

Rac 5 housing works with black tips and I think they still work with Titan FF tips, as well as many other brands of tips, but the green Rac X tips require the blue Rac X housing.

Your 390 will work great with FF tips. 210 can be a bit tricky since it requires many overlaps, (more margin for error, more starts, stops & overlaps). Only if I'm spraying rails or something similar do I use a 210 FF. For the most part, 310 & 410.

If I were you, I'd suggest getting the 210 like you want, but also get a 310, 410, and maybe even something like a 312 or 412, all FF. That way, you're covered for most anything.
Thanks for the advice Troy. I am going to take you up on this advice. I thought the 210 would be good for baseboards and small stuff. The smallest tip I've ever been able to use with my old airless without clogging issues was a 313 and I had to almost run with the gun. I want to be able to use lowest pressure possible, minimize overspray, use as little product as necessary.

I should have done this a couple years ago. I'll get a variety of sizes. I've got tons of rac 5 tips for exteriors, ceilings, and such already. As long as I can switch out tip guards I should be good to go.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
stelzerpaintinginc. (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Troy
 
stelzerpaintinginc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,953
Rewards Points: 90
Thanks: 2,061
Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,133 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post
Am I correct in assuming the rac 5 guards can be unscrewed from the gun and replaced with the rac x guards?
Yes, correct. It will fit every gun that currently fits your rac v's.
__________________
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stelzerpaintinginc. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (09-02-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
PRC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,352
Rewards Points: 46
Thanks: 2,089
Thanked 954 Times in 564 Posts
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post
Thanks for the advice Troy. I am going to take you up on this advice. I thought the 210 would be good for baseboards and small stuff. The smallest tip I've ever been able to use with my old airless without clogging issues was a 313 and I had to almost run with the gun. I want to be able to use lowest pressure possible, minimize overspray, use as little product as necessary.

I should have done this a couple years ago. I'll get a variety of sizes. I've got tons of rac 5 tips for exteriors, ceilings, and such already. As long as I can switch out tip guards I should be good to go.
As long as you use a blue gun filter with FF tips there shouldn't be an issue of clogging. Strain first, of course.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,273
Rewards Points: 199
Thanks: 85
Thanked 410 Times in 307 Posts
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Do you strain your paint? If not that'll help cut down the clogging.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,355
Rewards Points: 50
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
Do you strain your paint? If not that'll help cut down the clogging.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I always wrap a strainer sock around the suction tube and secure with a mini-bungee cord before placing in paint.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
johnnyb (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Hines Painting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,744
Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanks: 575
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I use a 310 for cabinet doors, but I think the 410 is too small for for man doors. I like a 513 if I'm spraying a lot of doors.

Keep in mind tips aren't supposed to last forever. The RacV and Titan Sc6+ are rated for approximately 50 gallons each while the RacX and Titan Tr1 are rated for approximately 100 gallons each.

They won't self destruct or anything, but for things like doors or siding you don't back roll/brush it can cause problems.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hines Painting For This Useful Post:
dp75 (10-30-2015), johnnyb (09-05-2015), SemiproJohn (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mike2coat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 176
Rewards Points: 73
Thanks: 41
Thanked 55 Times in 37 Posts
View Mike2coat's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Last time I bought a pump when it came time to order all my free tips I experimented with all super small sizes, starting with 109 and 210 they come in handy here and there.
Mike2coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 1,131
Rewards Points: 668
Thanks: 582
Thanked 863 Times in 418 Posts
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Painting View Post
I use a 310 for cabinet doors, but I think the 410 is too small for for man doors. I like a 513 if I'm spraying a lot of doors.

Keep in mind tips aren't supposed to last forever. The RacV and Titan Sc6+ are rated for approximately 50 gallons each while the RacX and Titan Tr1 are rated for approximately 100 gallons each.

They won't self destruct or anything, but for things like doors or siding you don't back roll/brush it can cause problems.
I didnt realize they were rated for so little! We have RacX that i bet have over 10,000 gallons through em lol. Yeah i know they blown out, but we just pretend they r a couple sizes bigger. A blown out 521 performs good for priming, just like a brand new 527.
__________________
I got a post hole digger too! What's that got to do with the weather?
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch67 For This Useful Post:
Oden (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,745
Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanks: 1,140
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceraisanen
I didnt realize they were rated for so little! We have RacX that i bet have over 10,000 gallons through em lol. Yeah i know they blown out, but we just pretend they r a couple sizes bigger. A blown out 521 performs good for priming, just like a brand new 527.
19 is really the biggest we use for drywall. So a .519
But yeh, I'll put thousands of gallons on one. Kinda get a rotation going, a brand new one for closets, dusting down, its so slow.
For doing the bulk I'm using a blowed out .19. Put out a Forrest fire at 50'. Lol
But yeh the first 50 to 75 or so gallons it's too slow really for blasting away full tilt

Trim I'll start off with a .209. And at first it will be painfully slow, but them smaller tips they break in quick. 5 or ten gallons and that thing starts to wing paint. 30 gallons in and it's like as fast as my arm can move. Some where's around 100 gallons it gets to be a bit much to keep up with. Same thing with them I rotate the new ones in and the old ones out, use the new for dusting down and fine finishing and blast away with the older.

Them big tips aren't really in our system, like a .21 -.27 it is a oddball order that size for me. We're using that size. They just start out their life a bit more dainty. The tip may say on it .419 bit really it's a I dunno a .650 or something crazy like that.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time spray, paint peel off doors stl911 General Painting Discussion 23 08-19-2015 07:36 AM
Best spray machine for the money? goga General Painting Discussion 25 08-18-2015 04:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com