spraying a hardwood floor - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Dave Man's Photo Album My Photos
Default spraying a hardwood floor

Hi guys, I am a hardwood floor guy for 20 years. I figure we're all kinda related and maybe I can pass some knowledge along as well. I want to spray a floor. This is my own floor and it is something I always wanted to do. I am going to use waterbase finish. If price wasn't an option, can you recommend the best sprayer for this? Thoughts? Thanks, guys.
Dave Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

What type of surface, and product are we talking about? Wood, concrete etc. Either way, if its paint you want to apply, I'd still roll it.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

Default spraying floor

Thanks. Should have mentioned the product I want to spray is a water base finish from Bona on a hardwood floor. Clear, 2 component finish. I only want to spray the last coat. Thanks.

Last edited by Dave Man; 12-20-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: adding to post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

How many sq would you be doing? If its more than a couple hundred square would try an airless. WB clears can be difficult to spray for even experienced painters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I'm not a hardwood guy Dave, but thats a lot of masking to do for a floor. Either way, if its just for one floor I'd rent rather than buy. You should be just fine with a Graco 490 or 495.
aaron61 (12-29-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

I have used a small airless to spray stair treads. There is a fine line between too much and not enough with waterbornes. Air bubbles drying in the finish seems to always be a problem with water-based clears.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

View aaapaintingcolorado's Photo Album My Photos

Air Assisted sprayers are best for large areas. The graco pro shot fine finish is good if you only plan to do a small room. Should be interesting.
aaapaintingcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I k ow some painters that have sprayed a floor, but no floor guys that have. They sprayed it because they are good painters and good at using a spray gun, so they could get better results than the traditional floor application methods (for them).

I think if you are getting good results already, there is not much to gain from spraying. More mess, more masking, more material usage, more clean-up for a minor time saving in application in most cases (at least I think).
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Scotiadawg (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #9

Default spraying floor

Thanks guys. It is a fairly large room. I know it can be done(famous last words) as some beautiful floors in Russia I have seen were sprayed. I know I am not going to be a pro overnight like anything else but I got time and want to teach this old dog a new trick. I am not worried about the cost of a good sprayer. I wouldn't buy a cheap sander either. Great forum BTW.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

The main problem with a floor is going to be overspray falling on areas and not flowing into the finish resulting in a rough feel. If you can move air from the room, it should help.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I k ow some painters that have sprayed a floor, but no floor guys that have. They sprayed it because they are good painters and good at using a spray gun, so they could get better results than the traditional floor application methods (for them).

I think if you are getting good results already, there is not much to gain from spraying. More mess, more masking, more material usage, more clean-up for a minor time saving in application in most cases (at least I think).
I use a 9" lambs wool applicator on a standard roller handle. gives you good control of the finish and does a beautiful job very quickly with no masking, overspray or other mess.
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

Go AAA if you can if not use a FF tip and this product. Quick, simple and easy.

Name:  image-449503319.png
Views: 1933
Size:  13.8 KB
robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robladd View Post
Go AAA if you can if not use a FF tip and this product. Quick, simple and easy.

Attachment 9075
Use this product with a good applicator - not a roller - and you'll have a great finish with minor effort.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #14

View rocketmanL3's Photo Album My Photos

I sprayed an oak floor with poly years ago: never again. Way too much fogging; that stuff hung in the air forever!

The main problem with spraying your finishes is the lack of leveling; no applicator to fill in the low portions of the grain while taking a bit off the top.

Are you getting applicator marks! Try adding a bit of water to your next coat, then a bit more until you get it just right.
rocketmanL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanL3 View Post
I sprayed an oak floor with poly years ago: never again. Way too much fogging; that stuff hung in the air forever!

The main problem with spraying your finishes is the lack of leveling; no applicator to fill in the low portions of the grain while taking a bit off the top.

Are you getting applicator marks! Try adding a bit of water to your next coat, then a bit more until you get it just right.
Applicator marks can be a b*&^h if you're new to using the applicator, but with practise you can eliminate them, just a matter of feathering with a soft touch. Start and end each stroke gradualling, kind of like skim coating a drywall seam with filler.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I don't think I need to tell a guy who's been doing floors for 20 years how to use an applicator but that's what I would use as well.Doesn't make much sense to spray. I would think that atomizing the clear like that will actually cause the mist to settle back down on the finish making it rough.Then you'll need to sand again & go back to what works.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
I don't think I need to tell a guy who's been doing floors for 20 years how to use an applicator but that's what I would use as well.Doesn't make much sense to spray. I would think that atomizing the clear like that will actually cause the mist to settle back down on the finish making it rough.Then you'll need to sand again & go back to what works.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
My apologies if I sounded like I was telling a vet how to do floors ! Was meant in general, I'll try to more careful
Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Didn't mean to sound like a d1ck either.Just thought it was amusing how we painters are.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Scotiadawg (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Didn't mean to sound like a d1ck either.Just thought it was amusing how we painters are.
Not at all ! We painters are just soooooo sensitive
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotiadawg For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (12-29-2011)

Tags
None