for those who do finishing carpentry as well - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 530
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default for those who do finishing carpentry as well

what equipment do you use?

which miter saw?
what other equipment?

Basically I want to start to learn how to do minor wood work like replacing bad trim outside and inside, soffits if need be, and eventually be able to put in all new moldings.
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
RIP 2017

Rewards Points: 500
View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar Painting View Post
what equipment do you use?

which miter saw?
what other equipment?

Basically I want to start to learn how to do minor wood work like replacing bad trim outside and inside, soffits if need be, and eventually be able to put in all new moldings.
Makita sliding compound miter saw w/the DeWalt Miter saw stand. Bosch worm-drive circular saw. Compressors, nails guns (framer and finish) Portable table saw on folding stand w/wheels. Bosch reciprocating saw, Porter Cable jig saw, etc. etc.

Not necessarily the best tools you can buy, but not the cheap crap you can buy that falls apart either. Decent "middle-of-the-road" stuff that works good and will last.
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VanDamme For This Useful Post:
Dunbar Painting (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150
View Colour Republic's Photo Album My Photos

Dewalt compound saw, Makita Jigsaw and Festool 55 rail saw for us, if you get in to it you can spends thousands but the above and a few hand tools should get you started

Do you Fein tools over there too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colour Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colour Republic For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

(Feel old now)....Use a really nice old hand saw, mitre box combo for small trim (and I really like it). Have a Craftsman miter saw, porter cable planer, most everything else is Milwaukee or Bosch. We do very little of this stuff. Mainly picture rail, door and window casing and occasional crown molding.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

How much of that can you do before it is outside of your license or insurance?

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
How much of that can you do before it is outside of your license or insurance?
Here, a home improvement license lets one do everything but plumbing and electrcity. My insurance agent seems more concerned with being on high ladders doing exterior work, but I guess I should ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
RCP (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Hitachi C8FB2 9.5 Amp 8-1/2-Inch Sliding Compound Miter saw. One I would never want to part with.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Born To Be Mild

If you want to try some really incredible tools, check this:

http://www.festoolusa.com/where-to-b...demo-days.html

Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Dewalt sliding compound miter saw, compressor, nail guns, jig saw. you should have the basics and add the tools as you require them.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
Handle with care

Rewards Points: 150
View TDTD's Photo Album My Photos

You can't go wrong with Makita's 10" sliding compound miter saw. Look for the one with the laser. It's a handy feature once you get used to it.

I do all kinds of finishing and I believe strongly in the old adage that there's a tool for every job and that you're only as good as the tools you have to work with, (do employees fall into this category?).

Don't be fooled into buying those hokey mokey multi purpose tools. Buy name brand warranty backed tools with local service and repair depots. Ridgid has a great deal on their cordless line. I've got a whole whack of 'em. They offer a lifetime warranty, even on the batteries, (make sure you register them on the website).

Ridgid, DeWalt, Porter Cable and Makita are my top picks for your basic power tools. I have a Bosch flush cut saw which comes in very handy for trim work. I've heard good things about Milwaukee although I don't have any to attest to personally. Mastercraft and Craftsman make fairly decent tools but shop carefully within the categories of these lines.

Lastly, unless you need it right now, don't pay full price for anything! Eventually everything goes on sale. Watch the fliers and buy your tools when they go on sale. Can Tire has some great deals every now and then.

Good luck with your finishing endeavors!

Cheers,

Every day is an adventure...enjoy today and look forward to tomorrow!
TDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
RIP 2017

You can also check Craigs List, just be careful and stay away from the stolen goods.

I sold my Bosch 1/2" cordless drill and cordless 5 3/8" circular saw along with two batteries and charger for $50.00

I only had the drill and one battery listed for $50, but the guy was trying to build his tool cache and he seemed like a good guy, so I threw the saw, battery and charger in for free.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDamme View Post
You can also check Craigs List, just be careful and stay away from the stolen goods.

I sold my Bosch 1/2" cordless drill and cordless 5 3/8" circular saw along with two batteries and charger for $50.00

I only had the drill and one battery listed for $50, but the guy was trying to build his tool cache and he seemed like a good guy, so I threw the saw, battery and charger in for free.
That's pretty kewl. Bet the guy was pretty happy. Good idea on checking craigs list. If your just starting off, no real need to get top dollar stuff, start off with second hand stuff and go from there.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
RIP 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting View Post
That's pretty kewl. Bet the guy was pretty happy. Good idea on checking craigs list. If your just starting off, no real need to get top dollar stuff, start off with second hand stuff and go from there.

Pat
Pat, My motto is buy high and sell low LOL!

A while back I had my Echo chainsaw on CL. The guy that came to look at it was a hard working landscaper. He also spotted my Echo gas powered hedge trimmer. I sold the hedge trimmer for $100 with maybe 1 hour on it. I paid close to $300 for it.

He got a nice chainsaw and hedge trimmer for $175
Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #14

View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

12 inch sliding double bevel mitre saw

I've also got a bunch of dewalt cordless stuff, jigsaw, circular saw, hole saw, recip saw, cut off tool etc.

Twin stack compressor, and a few random nail guns.

Get's me by

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #15

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

before you jump into stuff like this you have to know how a house is built, and why. What the drainage planes are for and how they are created. you need to know that using the wrong fastener could pierce a wire in the wall and cause anything from a short to the house burning down. Then there is the actual code that states what where when and how many a certain fastener should be used on a particular piece of material.

If you do not have any knowledge in this, maybe do a parttime gig with a framing company, or even a votec college.

best of luck man.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
before you jump into stuff like this you have to know how a house is built, and why. What the drainage planes are for and how they are created. you need to know that using the wrong fastener could pierce a wire in the wall and cause anything from a short to the house burning down. Then there is the actual code that states what where when and how many a certain fastener should be used on a particular piece of material.

If you do not have any knowledge in this, maybe do a parttime gig with a framing company, or even a votec college.

best of luck man.
I think that's a little overboard there, replacing some fascia board, or some trim pieces here in there does not mean you have to know how the house is built. Maybe if your going to tear down some walls or something.

pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
Dunbar Painting (09-01-2010)

Tags
None